Ideas for a better option for raising tent deck

jhalbrooks

Side view.jpg

I just bought this trailer and am very happy with the solid construction. My only issue is raising the RTT platform. Those 4 square tubing posts must be picked up and pinned in the upper elevation. This is a difficult job for the wife and I to accomplish. The scissor jacks you see can be raised, but must be done in unison and don't get it to the required pin holes. Any ideas for simplifying this process? Thanks

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
It seems that there would be a way to swap those scissor jacks for some trailer tongue jacks. Something happening from one point is going require a cable and pulley system.

theblindchicken

Do you have onboard air?

If so, what about using a set of air rams to raise it up. Would need a regulator so you don't put 150psi right into it and blow it off the trailer.

jhalbrooks

The annex is on order. Just bought this rig 3 days ago. Design of the trailer requires the tent to be raised to open the double doors on top of the trailer.

Hoghead

Observer
Is that a Morris Mule trailer? Have you considered just leaving it up during travel. I believe they are designed to be used either way. I have a buddy with one of those and that is what he does. He doesn't mind the way it tows with it up. I understand you wanting it to go up and down, but you might try one trip with it up. my lid won't open if my rack is in the down position either, and I admit, sometimes it's a pain. Of course I don't have to worry about locking the trailer up when travelling either. The linear actuators are nice, push a button up, push a button down. Power is an issue though, and I keep a back up around in case I drain my battery.

jhalbrooks

The trailer was sold by Pak All in Austin, TX. According to a few comments I have read, it is a copy of the Morris Mule. I think if the pins were actually spring loaded, it may help a bit. Can use the jacks to get it close and lift the rest of the way. It's just hard to lift, locate the hole and pin without help.
Is that a Morris Mule trailer? Have you considered just leaving it up during travel. I believe they are designed to be used either way. I have a buddy with one of those and that is what he does. He doesn't mind the way it tows with it up. I understand you wanting it to go up and down, but you might try one trip with it up. my lid won't open if my rack is in the down position either, and I admit, sometimes it's a pain. Of course I don't have to worry about locking the trailer up when travelling either. The linear actuators are nice, push a button up, push a button down. Power is an issue though, and I keep a back up around in case I drain my battery.

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
OP: I have a similar rack setup to yours and will be adding gas struts this weekend. 80 lbs of force with 15" stroke. I will document in my build thread which is linked in my signature.
20180304_175523.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179