Illinois yeah illinois... motoring the rural enviroment

Silver dude

Xplorer
June 17th 2013
Sterling, IL and around see map below.

Peering from the windows of my work place at the nice weather. I had kept promising myself that I'll get away soon. With the girl beating the books studying for a nursing degree I decided it was time to try a solo adventure again. Finally, my Monday off work rolled around. The goal of the day. Relaxing drive, I said to myself windows down the whole way to get consumed in the experience. Tell no one, just wake up, toss a few cold teas in the cup holders, turn the key in the ignition and go. I also wanted to try using my new adventure toy a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 for GPS navigation and route following.

But, where? Well with one day I couldn't go far. I thought about southern Wisconsin. Perhaps scout some areas off of the Kettle moraine forest. But, I've covered so much of that the past few years. While looking online I found GPS tracks via advrider.com (A Adventure Motorcycle enthusiast site). They had listed tracks for a start point in Illinois only a hours drive away. Perfect! But, wait I hate Illinois! The state parks are awful. Take the gem known as Starved rock. Over regulated over controlled. They take the nature out of the natural environment. With hikes that consist of wood deck paths with railings on both sides fencing you in. It made me feel as though the trees were similar to zoo animals at a zoo. As if they put nature on display in a unnatural way. I might be in a forest but I don't have the natural experience of a forest. No alcohol in any park or even at camp in front of the campfire? Lame! Sacrifices to deal with over population and moron city dwellers. So I've never looked at Illinois as a option in my travels. Parks are either a lame mowed grass fields or are a over protected over crowded nightmares. Its also beyond boring to drive thru Illinois farmland. Flat as a ironing board with nothing to gaze at. But, I thought well lets just try this GPS track perhaps my opinion on Illinois will change.

Here is the route I found. Hennepin canal, with a ton of bridge crossings.

I ordered a dash mount and charge cable for the tablet of course neither came in time. Tossed the tablet on my leg used my power inverter and we're down the road.

I took the slab to Sterling, IL look at that wonderful Illinois scenery! ha

The route started in Lyndon, IL then snaked thru downtown Prophetstown, IL

Historic old town, I had to get out to walk the streets a bit to feel invested in the streets. To perhaps feel the history as well as see it. I found this old photo in a store front window of how the town looked in 1910.

Soon I was back on the track. The rural roads were weird very narrow lanes without a shoulder.

Then I turned off the pavement to a gravel road. Single lane gravel! Made me think of some of the roads I rode in the UP. Clearly the day might not be as bad as I thought it would be.

After a few miles of single track gravel I reconnected to the highway and caught up to one of the sprayer tractors. These were everywhere I saw at least 5 in the fields at this point.

Rural pavement again no stripes super narrow. If you meet another car both of you hang a tire in the grass. Fortunately its a rare occurrence.

I again found myself on Single lane gravel. Clearly this road almost is never traveled. To a 1900's bridge? um awesome!

Built 1920, Pratt through truss design, Total length: 87.6 ft, Deck width: 17.7 ft.

Over Coal creek.

The bridge is currently listed as, Structurally deficient as well as a condition rating listed as: Serious (3 out of 9). I'm glad I was able to cross this bridge in the Xterra. It probably won't be around much longer for people to explore. Most if not all of the Pratt through truss design bridges are gone or demoted to pedestrian use. I can so vividly imagine a rattling Model T coming across the bridge back when it was first erected. Was cool to not only stand on but drive on a 93 year old piece of American history.

After leaving the bridge I put my truck to use. Pacing along the two track.

It wasn't long and I arrived at another bridge this time concrete and therefore not as impressive. It seemed in a rather bad state of repair. I think it shuttered slightly when my front tires rolled up. For 88 year old concrete (1925) it showed . The state rated it 4 out of 9 as far as condition. Yet another bridge that will one day disappear.

After leaving the bridges behind enjoying the history and the thrill of the drive to such remote locations. I reconnected with more narrow pavement. I then heard "camp with water" announced over the GPS. I thought I'm not gong to go camping but maybe I'll check it out to take a break get some water. As I pull in I see a lift bridge.

This is odd I thought. What is a lift bridge doing in the middle of nowhere Illinois over a creek?

When I saw these doors I figured it out. Its a canal for shipping cargo.

Its the Hennepin canal! The Hennepin Canal was built in order to lower freight prices. Construction began in 1892 and the first boat went through in 1907, reducing the distance from Chicago to Rock Island by 419 miles (674 km). While the canal was under construction, however, the Corps of Engineers undertook a widening of the locks on both the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. The new locks on those rivers were twenty and forty feet wider than the canal locks, making them obsolete before their initial use. The reason it was obsolete was because with wider locks on the river larger cargo ships could be used. The canal was too small and only fit for the early days of canaling.. The Hennepin was the first American canal built of concrete without stone cut facings. Although the Hennepin enjoyed only limited success as a waterway, engineering innovations used in its construction were a bonus to the construction industry. The canal was used as a training ground for engineers that later worked on the Panama Canal.

The first steamer to use the canal was the SS Marion, carrying government officials. This was the first boat to travel the entire length of the canal. The boat left on November 8 and returned on the November 15th. The canal was not completely filled, so each section's water had to be moved with the locks for the boat to pass. The boat had to be equipped with iron guards to break the formed ice. When it reached Lock 28, it had to push the lock open. When the boat reached the last five miles (8 km) of her journey, there was still a problem with the amount of water. There was too much water, and it could not pass under the Rock Island Bridge. As a result, the first people the sailors found were asked to come aboard to make the ship sink slightly.

Strange what you can find on a drive. A true marvel of modern engineering. There are 33 locks much like this one along the canal system. I thought the lift bridge was rather clever with its weight system to assist its lift. Strange when you thing 1892.

Silver dude

Xplorer
I turned back on to the road. i began to realize maybe the scenery in this area isn't so bad. Just different then I'm used to.

The trip was starting to get to me, the distance. After nearly 6 hours of nonstop driving I realized how thankful I was to be alone. I hadn't eaten anything other then a granola bar yet it didn't seem to phase me. Never bored never disinterested driving just relaxes my soul. I soon arrived at this sign, it stated that I had been driving on roads so old that buffalo herds made them.

After that sign the roads got very wild sharp hills and swooping curves. It would of been magical on a motorcycle. The roads were so narrow it was sketchy to carry speed in a truck. Blind hills were a little freaky when single lane pavement.

Arrived at another canal this bridge was unfortunately demoted to pedestrian use but cool none the less.

You can see the remains of the canal below.

I reconnected to a highway part of the great river road scenic route. Just a incredible driving experience in this moment just absolute comfort, happiness, where I wanted to be. Unparalleled connection to the vehicle as if the vehicle was a extension of my mind. Ripping back the gear shift just throttling with passion.

Soon I made a sharp right turn off the road to some narrow gravel. Motoring thru this dense forest was incredible. I kept saying wait... this is illinois? Thick forest on all sides with just a strip of gravel under the truck. I felt so consumed in the health of the woods while never leaving the truck. All to myself, no lawn mower noise, no pedestrians, no screaming kids just calm quiet motoring.

After about 8 miles of intense woods the tree canopy gave way to a rough chunky gravel road.

Soon I was in a barren field. Was shocking the size of the empty land. The corn rows were so straight it was bizarre at first.

Eventually i funneled my way into Henry, IL to cross the Henry bridge 1717 feet long.

After a intense day of driving nonstop except for fuel nearly 200 miles 10 hours on the road I headed home relieved. Plenty more of the area to explore in the future.

Thanks for readin

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Neat trip! Love these kinds of explorations. Everyone's always fawning over mountains and canyons, but just taking the side roads away from Generic America is fulfilling to me, too. Reminds me of trips we'd take back east, mostly to find a place to camp or ride in southern IL or all over MO. Thanks for all the photos!

Expedition Leader
Nice report and photos. I'm a Missouri native, and never new there was a canal like that in IL.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nice report and photos. I'm a Missouri native, and never new there was a canal like that in IL.
I grew up in St Louis, but we camped a lot as kids and when I was in school in Cape we drove all over. There are ditches throughout the bootheel like that, a lot are still used.

Expedition Leader
I grew up in St Louis, but we camped a lot as kids and when I was in school in Cape we drove all over. There are ditches throughout the bootheel like that, a lot are still used.

Yet another thing we have in common Dave. I was born in Rolla and played at Meramac Springs a lot. We moved to Wheat Ridge/Golden when I was 8 so I consider myself having grown up there.

kpredator

Adventurer
nice read,for a overnight trip sometime check out yellow river forest area of iowa and root river valley of se mn
very scenic,kayaking,trout fishing

Renrag

Observer
Nice ride. The corn rows are that straight because many of us farmers are planting with autosteer tractors, and GPS these days. I have been for 6 years.

mikE(knows that area)

ilguy

Observer
Funny thing Silver. The wife and I camped at Lock 17 (Hennepin Canal) this weekend. Just got home! It was great only one other camper in there and very quiet. Tough to find camping like that in Illinois.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven