i'm missing a very large part...

PKG P38

Observer
so, was going to replace my fuel filter today and noticed a very large part missing and now i'm bummed out.

its not the end of the world but still bummed out.

...rear driveshaft is missing.

SO right now its FWD. the more i dig into this thing the more i think the guy i got it from never even drove it. which is a good thing in this case.

so one of 3 things happened, either the u-joints were bad and the shaft had to come out or be replaced, the rear diff is bad, or the transfer case is bad. which i doubt the transfer case is bad since the short distance i drove it, it was fine actually, and the rear end wasn't making any noises. so i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed on this one.

so, i'll be getting a new driveshaft next week and go from there i guess.

*sigh*

Last edited:

PKG P38

Observer
careful, this was a common scam when the center diff 'froze' in the locked position.

well, if it is, i'll be on the look out for a diff as well. i hope not but i got a few located just as a backup.

good thing i don't send my vehicles off to the shop or dealer for work otherwise this could get expensive. i just really am not looking forward to managing one of those transfer cases again on a transmission jack.

:(

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
What's your T-case set to? If it's not set to lock then wouldn't it be safe to assume that the T-case is frozen up? Sorry you're off to a bad start, but you'll get it squared away and end up better off.

PKG P38

Observer
What's your T-case set to? If it's not set to lock then wouldn't it be safe to assume that the T-case is frozen up? Sorry you're off to a bad start, but you'll get it squared away and end up better off.

Well the gear selector isn't set to lock or low range, but that doesnt nessarily mean anything.

But yeah if its bad at aleast ill have the peace of mind replacing it myself.

pokeyYJ

Observer
careful, this was a common scam when the center diff 'froze' in the locked position.

I don't believe this is the case with his concern, the P38 doesn't have a user selectable center diff lock like on the early Rangie's and Series 1 Disco's

sven

Adventurer
I don't believe this is the case with his concern, the P38 doesn't have a user selectable center diff lock like on the early Rangie's and Series 1 Disco's

Sure it is. The VC is seized solid, thats what Thor was referring to.

galen216

Adventurer
Sure it is. The VC is seized solid, thats what Thor was referring to.

Yep, drove my RRC with a frozen Borg Warner and no front driveshaft till I replaced with an LT-230.

Why did they take out the rear versus the front?

spikemd

Explorer
There's a guy out here near Sacramento selling a transfer case for a P38 for cheap. He also may have a driveshaft. Check out craigslist.org/sacramento and search for ROVER PARTS. He is in Lodi and I spoke with him about a few other parts. You can also get one from Specialized Parts Planet with warranty for about $400.

Sounds like you have a lot to sort out to get her running correctly....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven