ImNoSaint's Tahoe Build

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
I performed a bit of Rhinoplasty.

img_2981.jpg

img_2983.jpg

The Rhino has been equipped with a Zeak winch rated at 10,000lbs with a synthetic line. It’s mounted on a Westin tray that is bolted on frame extensions that slip inside the Rhino’s box frame and bolt on in three positions both vertically and horizontally.
  • img_2984.jpg
    img_2986.jpg
To provide a bit of protection for the winch is a Westin bull bar. Since the assembly uses the frame rails that previously held the recovery hooks, I added another pair that bolt onto the frame extensions. The winch is controlled by either a wireless or an analog remote.

zgfiredude

If you've mentioned or discussed what I perceive is a suspension lift, I've missed it. Is this lifted? From what I've read on PPV and SSV Tahoes, they are somewhat lower than a stock Tahoe.

I have become intrigued with these rigs, and am seriously contemplating one myself.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
If you've mentioned or discussed what I perceive is a suspension lift, I've missed it. Is this lifted? From what I've read on PPV and SSV Tahoes, they are somewhat lower than a stock Tahoe.

I have become intrigued with these rigs, and am seriously contemplating one myself.
There's a mild two-inch lift with pucks up front, brackets at the rear for shocks and extensions for the sway bar. I purchased the vehicle this way. From what I can tell, the lift was recently installed, so it's not a factory mod. Despite the lift, the handling on this is extraordinary with the HD suspension and widened track. That said, though, aftermarket suspension is difficult if not impossible to come by (I'm still looking) due to GM's alteration of mounts to accommodate the PPV suspension tune. All I can find is OEM ACDelco replacement parts. That's great, but I want just a bit more squish and travel. Airing down helps with washboards. Aside from that, this has been an incredible overland platform. In your search be sure to find a PPV/SSV with a two-speed transfer case.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
COMMS & NAV

dscf7292.jpg

Communication and navigation would be at the base of Maslow’s Hierarchy were he an overlander. I don’t want to be out of touch and I don’t want to wonder where the hell I am.
The top of that list for both is the obvious choice of a smart phone, in this case it’s an iPhone 11, which is also my principle camera.

dscf7294.jpg

It’s mounted on a RAM Mounts Quick Grip XL Phone Holder. The holder is retained by a short double socket arm mounted to a 1″ ball on a RAM Diamond Ball Base. The base is riveted to the dashboard. No shake, no vibration; just the most solid mount I’ve had for an iPhone in a vehicle, and I’ve tried many.

dscf7301.jpg

The Quick Grip holder is inverted to keep a clean eye line over the dash which also makes for an easy mount and egress of the device. Adjacent the iPhone is my Garmin Zumo XT GPS that swaps into the Rhino from my Triumph Tiger 1200 XC Explorer ADV motorcycle. The GPS is mounted on a proprietary mount for the Zumo which is retained by another short double socket arm mounted to a 1″ ball on a RAM Round Ball Base. The round base makes for a more stable mount on the dash trim piece. The base provides power to the Zumo, which is drawn from an auxiliary jumper from the passenger side fuse panel.

On the left side of the wheel adjacent the spotlight control is an DeLorme inReach Explorer SatNav. I’ve had this device for years on my motorcycle and since I bought it Delorme has been purchased by Garmin. While it’s a great navigation tool, I use it for communication when I’m off-grid with the ability to text and email via satellite, not to mention its SOS functionality. It pairs with my iPhone providing a better communication interface and an excellent redundant navigation application.

dscf7297.jpg

The SAT/NAV is mounted on a proprietary mount for the inReach which is retained by a medium double socket arm mounted to a 1″ ball on a RAM Round Ball Base bolted to the dash piece.
For GMRS communication there’s a Baofeng UV-5R Plus dual band handheld transceiver mounted on a Nite Ize Steelie on the center upper console.

dscf7296-2.jpg

The Steelie mount is ideal for this radio, keeping it up and out of the way with an easy grab, release, and stow capability. I’ve used this mount for years in all my builds and have never had it fail.
All devices are charged off the Rhino’s secondary 12-volt system save for the Zumo.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Exhaust Mod
fullsizeoutput_1b25.jpeg

If the Rhino is going to inhale better, it probably ought to exhale better, nothing dramatic like headers and a dual exhaust, just a bit more space for volume. Double entendre intended.

I went to our local Master Muffler shop, five stars on Google, and told them what I wanted; a Magnaflow oval muffler and a step up from stock diameter from the cat back. I’d like a more pronounced and deeper note, but nothing droning or obnoxious like the General Grabbers.

I signed the order without an adequate read through the details, assuming the muffler would be what I asked for. I was tired, a day out of chemo, and trusted these guys.
This is what was installed instead.

quvaiwmzqvmbm1wxzxajzq.jpg

Hmmm. Not what I asked for and I didn’t inspect the installation until I got the Rhino back to my own driveway, so, surprise.

This install was done before the aFe cold air intake mod, so I had a chance to see what kind of performance difference there was with this fit. A bit more grunt in 4l, and faster on-ramp times. That said, I still felt the unwitting victim of a bait-and-switch so I went back to the shop and asked for numbers, specs on the Master Muffler Performance can versus a Magnaflow of the same size, but there are no numbers. There are so many applications, granted, that the data would be overwhelming, I guess.

I was told that Master Muffler conducted a comparison with both products on a Mustang GT and their generic squeezed out a hair more horsepower on the dyno. Now, I’m a former researcher, I know what bias does, and you’d think by now I wouldn’t be giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, but the shop manager got mine. He indicated if I wasn’t satisfied after a week or two, bring the Rhino back and they’ll swap out the can with a Magnaflow.

We’ll see.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Cold Air Intake

fullsizeoutput_1b24.jpeg

Out of the gate the White Rhino put down 355 hp with 383 lb-ft of torque, numbers I could easily live by. But I have this genetic predisposition, not unlike Tim Taylor, that nudges the back of the more primitive part of my brain with the thought that there’s always more to be had, and not with a lot of wrenching.

I put a K&N cold air intake on my Silverado hoping to get more out of its remarkable 4.3 liter V6 for towing on grades. Its performance improvement was impressive, especially in the low end department; more grunt and fast off-the-line times, but, alas, it was still a V6, a power plant that would’ve been perfect in the Nomad.

When I first picked up the Rhino I went with a K&N high performance filter which produced a noticeable difference, especially in fuel efficiency, but my internal neanderthal was still unsatisfied.

Since the Rhino spends a lot of time in super dusty and wet conditions, I wanted an intake that was closed to the engine compartment and with such criteria my search landed me at CARiD where I discovered the aFe Momentum XP aluminum closed cold air intake system.

fullsizeoutput_1b24.jpeg

The airbox is sealed from the engine compartment using the stock inner fender opening and there’s a pre-filter available for the conditions we drive in. You may be wondering, why not a snorkel, and the answer is there’s not one yet available.

Its specs claim a 15 hp boost with up to 21 pounds more torque.

fullsizeoutput_1b23.jpeg

The box has a window in it to easily check out the filter’s condition at a glance, which up front I really liked, but the reason the window is there is because accessing the filter requires removal of the intake tube. No big deal, takes a little more time than unscrewing the fasteners on the stock box, but it’s a bit of a hassle to put on or remove the pre-filter. This would’ve been super if the sealed box had a removable lid with quick-release clamps, especially at its price-point. Ouch.

fullsizeoutput_1b22.jpeg

The tube comes in brushed aluminum or textured black and has a port for the stock MAFS and inlets for breather tubes. Installation is very straight forward and took about a half-hour.

Results? Along with a cat-back three-inch exhaust and performance muffler, let’s just say my inner Toolman is very happy. I now need my traction control on to keep me civilized, otherwise the squealing Grabbers draw more attention than I’d like. We’ll see what it does for fuel efficiency if I can keep my foot out of it.

Pros: Great fit and finish, easy installation, and more power as promised.
Cons: Expensive at $33 per horsepower gained, and a hassle to change out the pre-filter.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Wow, I need to read this whole thread again and take notes. So much good info, applicable across platforms. Could you please elaborate on the Nite-Ize "steelie" and its marriage to the handheld? This is the first time I've seen one in action. I've got a drawer full of RAM mounts, and up till now I've always thought I had everything I needed to mount anything anywhere. And yet... my UV5R still floats around my truck with no real home.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
GMRS Upgrade

I decided to upgrade my GMRS approach and keep everything on the up-and-up with a Midland MicroMobile 15W radio (MXT275).

img_3743.jpg

Fifteen channels with eight repeater channels. The handset has all the controls and is attached to a head unit, ideal for the Rhino’s application.

img_3744.jpg

I removed the Midland hardware for the handset mount and replaced it with a Nite-Ize Steelie, the same mount used for the Baofeng UV-5R.

img_3745.jpg

It’s a solid, slimmer mount and easier to retrieve and replace the handset.

I upgraded the antenna to Midland’s Ghost antenna with a 3dB gain mounted on the Rhino’s hood with a lip-mount bracket.

img_3756.jpg
img_3764.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Finally got myself a Steelie for the Baofeng - can't believe it escaped my attention for so long. Now looking at another for my phone. Been too cold to stick it to the dash yet, but soon. Really like the look of that all-in-one Midland too. Hmmm... I may have to un-sub from this thread! :ROFLMAO: (Great stuff! Keep it coming!)

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Finally got myself a Steelie for the Baofeng - can't believe it escaped my attention for so long. Now looking at another for my phone. Been too cold to stick it to the dash yet, but soon. Really like the look of that all-in-one Midland too. Hmmm... I may have to un-sub from this thread! :ROFLMAO: (Great stuff! Keep it coming!)
Sorry; not sorry. Glad that's working for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues