Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

Alloy

While it has 2 axles the articulation is so bad that the box ( + everything inside) is tossed around and gets stuck on rocks like it only has one (overloaded) axle.

SuperSolarDude

I will give it a shot from my crawl around sessions:
1 - no nothing underneath, that is a concern to me as well. It is heavy and sitting on the showroom floor not hooked up to anything, i walk all over the roof and not much seems to move (base on a 3-point plane, the wheels sets and the front brace). May want to carry some boards to put under a wheel or two on one side
2 - not sure where the hydraulics are hidden. The air pump is in a cabinet up near the door/bathroom area. The external air spigot is up front tucked in by the ladder. The pump and kit that comes with is from Viair.
3- no idea, I'm hoping, I hear they do, they are Optima batteries
4- One set of liners holds 16-18 bags/flushes I hear, may want to carry a spare cartridge or two. I'm told a red line appears in the bags when they are running low and you need to be ready to swap out. Local dealer doesn't have them but apparently you buy them on Amazon, 3 cassettes for about 80 buck (pricey poops) but easy to get rid of.
5- no idea.
6 - no idea.
I appreciate the feedback. In the ROA video, there is some kind of jack looking things present, both front and back. I can't quite see what's going on with them. They look like a simple drop down something. Like raise trailer, drop legs and then lower the trailer. No one has shown them in a video yet working.

SuperSolarDude

@SuperSolarDude My dealer went under the rig and confirmed those are two manual rear stabilizers that drop down. As all the dealers are new, they didn't know they were there either so good eye! I also asked them to reach out to Imperial directly in regards to filling in the gaps on the other questions.
I appreciate that. ROA responded to me about the stabilizers. They said they aren't very user friendly, but they are there.

SuperSolarDude

@SuperSolarDude ok more info to share:
- The tankless water heater uses very little propane since it only burns fuel while water is running. I'm told that one 5 gallon tank would last for a couple weeks if it were just running the water heater.
- The 12V fridge with the two Optima batteries will operate for 1-2 days with no battery depending on charge & conditions according to the Furrion specs.
- The solar control board is wall mounted in the hallway just outside the bathroom.
- Hitch tongue weight when loaded is 460LBS (water, batteries & LP).
- The hydraulic pump is located under the cabinet on the right when you first step into the trailer through the side door.
I can't say thank you enough for finding all of this out. I did a little digging on the water heater and am impressed at how little gas they use. Overall, I'm sold on getting one. Its now down to the xr or new x model. I like the placement of the electrical in the new model, but I also like being able to simply remove the bed/seats in the xr and fix the back area like I want. Well, that and coordinating time to leave south FL to go pick one up after ordering. Which, given the little time I have off, will likely be contracting a hotshot to bring it down to me.

TGK

@SuperSolarDude ok more info to share:
- The tankless water heater uses very little propane since it only burns fuel while water is running. I'm told that one 5 gallon tank would last for a couple weeks if it were just running the water heater.
- The 12V fridge with the two Optima batteries will operate for 1-2 days with no battery depending on charge & conditions according to the Furrion specs.
- The solar control board is wall mounted in the hallway just outside the bathroom.
- Hitch tongue weight when loaded is 460LBS (water, batteries & LP).
- The hydraulic pump is located under the cabinet on the right when you first step into the trailer through the side door.

By any chance have you had your trailer over a scale & loaded up since you've owned it?

TGK

Not I.
I have a deposit down, and its sitting on the lot (100 miles away) but I'm modifying my tow vehicle at the moment so I won't picking it up until some time later in May.
The notes above are from my what dealer found out by calling the chap who runs Imperial and is not from my direct experience.
Thanks for the clarification.

As an owner, I'm hoping you can answer a few questions if you don't mind. I don't have anywhere close to see these in person, so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I go see one in person.

1: From video/photos, it looks like there are some stabilizing jacks underneath. Can you confirm if there are and if so, how do they work?

2: Can you tell where the hydraulic pump and air compressor are mounted?

3: With the two included batteries, which I would swap out anyway, what would you rate the fridge consumption? Would two batteries with no solar input carry the fridge alone for a weekend?

4: As far as the toilet, do you think one liner would last one person at least a week under "normal" usage?

5: Can the solar controller be accessed to swap it out for a different model?

6: Any idea on the propane usage for the tankless water heater?

I appreciate any and all questions you may be able to answer. I'm super interested in one and trying to find out as much as I can before making the trek to see one in person.

As an owner I will tell you as much as I can.

1) Stabilizers - There are 4 total stabilizers two in the back that were shown in the picture and two in the front. If you reach under you pull them straight out and then down. Overall they work fine depending on how high you have the entire unit lifted since the entire hydraulic system allows you to go from 12 inches to 20 inches the stabilizers sometimes can't reach the ground and need to have some blocks underneath them. I use the X-Chock system between my tires and the thing doesn't move even when 3 of us go up on the roof...no movement, it's actually quite amazing. With the X-Chocks the stabalizers are not as useful but I do put them down.

2) Think this was already mentioned air compressor is by the right front side close to the stairs and the battery compartment. The connection for the air compressor is right between the ladder and the battery. Compressor works well I have used it several times.

3) Fridge consumption is the highest drain on the battery at startup it can goes to about 11 amps and then settles at around 7-8 amps depending on the cold setting you have it. With no solar input at all maybe you can make it 2 days. There are 200 watts of solar on the trailer and the Optima Bluetop batteries on a very cloudy weekend (3 days total) with minimal solar and lots of shade I made it about 3 days and was at 11.8V. Solar quickly charges the batteries back up and with sun I have left the fridge on for over a week and could let it go indefinitely - in April, in Dec with less sun you could start draining down but I still let it go for 5 days when I had good sun. I am looking at upgrading the batteries or adding more in the winter months the current batteries and solar would be harder but in the summer months seems to be ok if you are careful with your power. If you want to use more toys and not as careful with your power you will need more batteries.

4) Toilet - One liner would last one person a week especially if you go #1 outside. My wife, daughter and I can go up to three days with one liner...I go #1 outside, my wife and daughter usually use the toilet in the camper. You get about 17 flushes and then yes a redline appears telling you to trade out the bag. If you go #1 and you use some kitty litter or pete moss and throw it in there you don't have to flush every time but the bag will only fit so much. Bags are expensive, the cheapest place to buy them is from Dry Flush on their website. You would want to carry an extra bag with you. When you think about the costs of draining a black tank the bags are not too bad but still would be higher cost. However, the system is very efficient and we never have to worry about finding a place to dump. Just need a trash can.

5) Solar controller I have not tried to access it. Screen sits on the wall across from the fridge, the fuse box is right below it next to the closet when you walk in, I assume all the electrical equipment is underneath the close there is a panel to get in there I have not tried to.

6) Propane usage is very minimal. I have gone on 7 trips and only filled up one tank (it has two 20lb tanks) so far and it was probably only half empty and I connected my propane grill to it as well. Propane is used for the heater which barely runs even when it was 30 degrees outside it only went on a few times in the night and only for a few minutes. The stove uses the propane and oven (we used it every night) and the water heater which only turns on when you turn on the hot water. It takes about 12 seconds before you get hot water, but then it is "hot" and stays hot and if you are plugged into a house at a campground you can take an indefinite hot shower if you want. So you are wasting some of your precious water until it gets hot but you are not wasting propane. We typically warm up our water on the stove to clean our dishes and save the hot water for a shower. That works pretty well.

TGK

1) Stabilizers - There are 4 total stabilizers two in the back that were shown in the picture and two in the front. If you reach under you pull them straight out and then down. Overall they work fine depending on how high you have the entire unit lifted since the entire hydraulic system allows you to go from 12 inches to 20 inches the stabilizers sometimes can't reach the ground and need to have some blocks underneath them. I use the X-Chock system between my tires and the thing doesn't move even when 3 of us go up on the roof...no movement, it's actually quite amazing. With the X-Chocks the stabalizers are not as useful but I do put them down.

2) Think this was already mentioned air compressor is by the right front side close to the stairs and the battery compartment. The connection for the air compressor is right between the ladder and the battery. Compressor works well I have used it several times.

3) Fridge consumption is the highest drain on the battery at startup it can goes to about 11 amps and then settles at around 7-8 amps depending on the cold setting you have it. With no solar input at all maybe you can make it 2 days. There are 200 watts of solar on the trailer and the Optima Bluetop batteries on a very cloudy weekend (3 days total) with minimal solar and lots of shade I made it about 3 days and was at 11.8V. Solar quickly charges the batteries back up and with sun I have left the fridge on for over a week and could let it go indefinitely - in April, in Dec with less sun you could start draining down but I still let it go for 5 days when I had good sun. I am looking at upgrading the batteries or adding more in the winter months the current batteries and solar would be harder but in the summer months seems to be ok if you are careful with your power. If you want to use more toys and not as careful with your power you will need more batteries.

4) Toilet - One liner would last one person a week especially if you go #1 outside. My wife, daughter and I can go up to three days with one liner...I go #1 outside, my wife and daughter usually use the toilet in the camper. You get about 17 flushes and then yes a redline appears telling you to trade out the bag. If you go #1 and you use some kitty litter or pete moss and throw it in there you don't have to flush every time but the bag will only fit so much. Bags are expensive, the cheapest place to buy them is from Dry Flush on their website. You would want to carry an extra bag with you. When you think about the costs of draining a black tank the bags are not too bad but still would be higher cost. However, the system is very efficient and we never have to worry about finding a place to dump. Just need a trash can.

5) Solar controller I have not tried to access it. Screen sits on the wall across from the fridge, the fuse box is right below it next to the closet when you walk in, I assume all the electrical equipment is underneath the close there is a panel to get in there I have not tried to.

6) Propane usage is very minimal. I have gone on 7 trips and only filled up one tank (it has two 20lb tanks) so far and it was probably only half empty and I connected my propane grill to it as well. Propane is used for the heater which barely runs even when it was 30 degrees outside it only went on a few times in the night and only for a few minutes. The stove uses the propane and oven (we used it every night) and the water heater which only turns on when you turn on the hot water. It takes about 12 seconds before you get hot water, but then it is "hot" and stays hot and if you are plugged into a house at a campground you can take an indefinite hot shower if you want. So you are wasting some of your precious water until it gets hot but you are not wasting propane. We typically warm up our water on the stove to clean our dishes and save the hot water for a shower. That works pretty well.
Any chance you've had your trailer over the scales empty or loaded up for a trip?

TGK

Ram Rebel with a setup of tow capacity for 11,500. I have not had any issues towing this even up large hills. However, I don't plan on having a toy in here which would add considerably to the weight load.
Thanks. I got an F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost, also a "half" ton. It has a tow rating of 10,500lbs. Lots of power and torque. However, the amusing thing about the idea of towing a trailer at the top end of it's tow rating is that the tongue weight on a heavy trailer would likely quickly max out the trucks payload. I've been towing a 23ft tandem axle trailer for 4 years with this truck. About 3,900 lbs dry and max trailer weight rated at 5,200. The F150 tows it effortlessly even up mountain grades. I've been impressed. However, the curb weight of the truck is 5,300 #'s and my payload is 1,761#'s. With my trailer loaded up with gear, fluids and some other junk in the truck bed, I've been really close to payload max with my wife and the dog in the truck with me. I'd prefer it if the XR22 was a bit leaner. Always trade offs though.

SuperSolarDude

I for sure appreciate your answers. I'm a full timer and looking to downsize to something small that I can take off road/off grid on my off time in-between projects. I know its small for a full timer, but its what I want. That and having an amazing insulation since I work all over the US. I plan to ditch the fold up benches and bed lift, as well as the rear screen. Giving me a (very!)little room to customize things how I choose. I plan to do a 1100w solar system with a sizeable battery bank, hence asking where a few things were located/consumed. Now with the new x model coming I'm conflicted on which to choose since the electrical would be closer to where I want it! However, I love electrical wiring/solar and love a challenge.

Muddzy

The new X-22 video is out! Still unsure which I prefer, but the addition of more overhead and under bed storage is great.
I also like the flexibility of the XR22 more than the X22. A few tweaks of the XR22 and I'm not sure there's anything better out there that can do as much at similar size and weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven