Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

For the owners out there, how are the quality/build issues stacking up?

Well I just ran into an issue this week, that made me not so happy. I had a leak in my hydraulic cylinder for the suspension lift which is holding me back from using it until fixed as I am assuming the suspension could stop working or the trailer could drop to it's lowest point, I don't quite understand enough of how this system works to truly know (hoping to learn more when we take it in). This is impacting at least my June plans hopefully not my July plans. I have an appointment at the end of the month (all the dealers are backed up weeks) to fix anything. Other than that I had a short in the fridge early on which I believe was more of a Furrion problem vs. Imperial. Those were my two largest issues, I have had some smaller items. Leak in the bathroom sink, missing some caulking that should be there. Shower door fell off (easy to put back on) probably loose screw and then I took it off road. One of the spare tire racks is crooked making it harder to get it in and out of the pin. In the AZ heat some of the glue on the wood paneling seems to be loosening up. Those have been my main issues with the fridge and the suspension lift being things that have kept me from going out. I don't have much to compare to as this is my first camper when talking to our dealer they said they are very happy with the build quality of these campers in comparison to some of the other issues they see. I have 8 trips with mine so far and have one of the first rolled off the line so I think it will be a full year before we start getting a true feel on this.

dags

Adventurer
Well I just ran into an issue this week, that made me not so happy. I had a leak in my hydraulic cylinder for the suspension lift which is holding me back from using it until fixed as I am assuming the suspension could stop working or the trailer could drop to it's lowest point, I don't quite understand enough of how this system works to truly know (hoping to learn more when we take it in). This is impacting at least my June plans hopefully not my July plans. I have an appointment at the end of the month (all the dealers are backed up weeks) to fix anything. Other than that I had a short in the fridge early on which I believe was more of a Furrion problem vs. Imperial. Those were my two largest issues, I have had some smaller items. Leak in the bathroom sink, missing some caulking that should be there. Shower door fell off (easy to put back on) probably loose screw and then I took it off road. One of the spare tire racks is crooked making it harder to get it in and out of the pin. In the AZ heat some of the glue on the wood paneling seems to be loosening up. Those have been my main issues with the fridge and the suspension lift being things that have kept me from going out. I don't have much to compare to as this is my first camper when talking to our dealer they said they are very happy with the build quality of these campers in comparison to some of the other issues they see. I have 8 trips with mine so far and have one of the first rolled off the line so I think it will be a full year before we start getting a true feel on this.

Any updates on how the warranty response has been

Any updates on how the warranty response has been

Outside of the dealer being really busy and backed up they have been responsive on fixing most issues, they were able to order a part for me before they could take the trailer in to get it fixed so the part would be there and ready to go for a quicker turnaround so I appreciated them working on finding a way to keep things moving even as they are busy. Most of the issues I have run into is due to greater supply chain issues not so much the response of the dealer or Imperial.

suebee237

New to the group, my xr22 is being delivered to me in GA today from RV Leaders in PA. I am excited and nervous. Mine does not have the lock and roll hitch, just the regular coupler. Anyone have any experience pulling with this setup? i am disappointed to find out there aren't any weight distributing hitches available for this trailer. I am pulling with a 2020 Raptor which is not an ideal truck for this much weight, but it is what it is. I have so many questions i don't know where to start!

Do you owners carry a generator with you? if so, what kind and is it gas or propane? Is it just the AC that you would need a generator for?

I purchased this unit to carry my dirt bike around with me. What do you do with the bike at night?

I ordered a proven industries coupler lock online. Anyone have any experience with these? https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2516-b2

thanks in advance for any advice!

SuperSolarDude

New to the group, my xr22 is being delivered to me in GA today from RV Leaders in PA. I am excited and nervous. Mine does not have the lock and roll hitch, just the regular coupler. Anyone have any experience pulling with this setup? i am disappointed to find out there aren't any weight distributing hitches available for this trailer. I am pulling with a 2020 Raptor which is not an ideal truck for this much weight, but it is what it is. I have so many questions i don't know where to start!

Do you owners carry a generator with you? if so, what kind and is it gas or propane? Is it just the AC that you would need a generator for?

I purchased this unit to carry my dirt bike around with me. What do you do with the bike at night?

I ordered a proven industries coupler lock online. Anyone have any experience with these? https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2516-b2

A generator is needed for anything using a/c. So the air conditioner or any outlets since there isn't an inverter from the factory. That is if you are off grid. If you're in an rv park, you can plug in the shore cable.

Unless your bike is short to where you can lower the bed on top of it and still have room, you'll be leaving your bike outside at night.

I haven't, but do have a friend with the hitch lock. He loves his other than the price. hey are solid for sure. Enjoy the new trailer friend...

suebee237

A generator is needed for anything using a/c. So the air conditioner or any outlets since there isn't an inverter from the factory. That is if you are off grid. If you're in an rv park, you can plug in the shore cable.

Unless your bike is short to where you can lower the bed on top of it and still have room, you'll be leaving your bike outside at night.

I haven't, but do have a friend with the hitch lock. He loves his other than the price. hey are solid for sure. Enjoy the new trailer friend...

I'm not sure what a hitch lock for a dirt bike is, but i'm interested!

Does the AC come with soft start or does that need to be added?

SuperSolarDude

I'm not sure what a hitch lock for a dirt bike is, but i'm interested!

Does the AC come with soft start or does that need to be added?
The hitch lock is for the trailer, not the bike. It goes inside the hitch where the ball would be when hooked to your truck. Its to prevent theft of the trailer.

The ac does not come stock with a soft start. Also be prepared that since it isn't a ducted ac, it will be loud inside when its on. While that is fine for a lot of people when you're trying to sleep since it acts as a sort of white noise, it'll drown out a tv.

mtbmitch2

Would be nice to see an adventure model, just like adventure bikes versus the extreme version of the current model. I figure this model could save 250 ish pounds. Smaller tires, delete one of the propane tanks and substitute the other with a Viking fiberglass tank. Delete one of the spare wheels and mount. Run 2 lithiums and 200 watt solar. I had a tankless water tank in a Lance a few years back. The Girard wasted alot of water getting the temp in the ball park. Since there is only 30 gallons to start with, this is a big issue. This is a big complaint with 2021 model Airstreams who boon dock. Is this Natulaus better than other tankless water heaters? The Truma WH has a small tank so when you wash your hands, there is enough hot water. I found it annoying that the Girard water heater had to fire up every time you wanted hot water and then a minute or 2 of cool down cycle in the Girard. After 1 trip, removed it and installed a conventional WH. The Explor 22 should also come with a MPPT controller and not the old technology PWN, especially for 65K$. Other than that, the Explor 22 is very nice trailer. This is the only trailer that I am aware of that deals with thermal bridging.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight distribution as the trailer suspension goes up and down so you can equalize it quite a bit with your truck.

You will need a generator as mentioned if you want to use the AC probably 3500 Watts to handle the initial load and then it will drop down. The rest of the trailer is pretty efficient with the biggest draw being the fridge at about 8amps with an initial load of 11amps. If you have solid sun you can go for a few days, but if it is winter or you are in the shade for a long time you will need either another solar panel connected to the batteries or a generator to top off the batteries. I use the Bluetti AC200p as I want to be all solar. I carry 300 watts of portable solar with me to either charge up the batteries send more to the batteries on a cloudy day if the panels on the top are not maxed out, or to fill up my other devices without pulling from the batteries. Since it does not have an inverter if you are not plugged into shore power you won't have a way to run AC power without a generator.

I have used both hitches the regular coupler and the lock and roll...the coupler works fine unless you really are going to go far back off road, you won't get a lot of turn capability with the regular coupler so if you are in any tighter spots it is kind of a pain to turn around or make sharper turns without the lock and roll. You can always buy one and add it based on how the trailer is configured.

RMJ64

The version I have is 200Watts GO Solar Panels, standard battery is two Optima Bluetop D27M. I had a short with my refrigerator originally which was taking more draw than expected. That has been fixed and I have only been 3 days off grid with it so far and tested it for 5 days in my backyard. Need to do more experiments to find out truly how long I can go as this was all winter desert camping (sun setting at 5:30) will be moving to the forests now that is getting warmer. I do think the fridge is solid and not sure how much less a propane fridge would draw you would have to do the comparison. I will be planning if I need to do any upgrades to my batteries or bring along another portal solar panel with me. Looks like the non toy hauler version might have a different battery setup.
Hi,

Thanks for the info. got my xr22 few days ago, and the first morning after sitting in my driveway batteries were dead. How did you discover the short in your fridge?

Hi,

Thanks for the info. got my xr22 few days ago, and the first morning after sitting in my driveway batteries were dead. How did you discover the short in your fridge?

Discovered my short in my fridge as it gave a bad smell off while it was running and the batteries were draining when no power was being used by anything. Ultimately as the short got worse the fridge failed to get enough power to turn itself on for very long and we stopped our trip and came back in.

RMJ64

Discovered my short in my fridge as it gave a bad smell off while it was running and the batteries were draining when no power was being used by anything. Ultimately as the short got worse the fridge failed to get enough power to turn itself on for very long and we stopped our trip and came back in.
Thank you!
My current draw issue still persists. I checked the fuse box currents when everything is off vs on. Numbers seems normal (close to 0 when off, and for fridge ON around 9A). Took batteries to Interstate batteries and they said they're OK that I am not very confident in their claim :)
Question for you:
1-After fixing short issue. How much of basic operation you get (fridge on, lighting on, water pump)?
2- did you use your warranty thru xplore to cover your issue resolution?
3- any suggestion how to check if issue is from batteries or trailer circuit ?

Thank you!
My current draw issue still persists. I checked the fuse box currents when everything is off vs on. Numbers seems normal (close to 0 when off, and for fridge ON around 9A). Took batteries to Interstate batteries and they said they're OK that I am not very confident in their claim :)
Question for you:
1-After fixing short issue. How much of basic operation you get (fridge on, lighting on, water pump)?

1) Basic operation is a tough question depending on how you are using it. I ran some test with mine the AGM Bluetop batteries only have about 1500 Watts of useable power so can't go very long without reasonable solar power each day or a generator. 2-3 days without good sun or a generator is all you are going to get out of them. When you say reasonable use mine is typically like having the fridge running (at one of the lower or medium settings) have some internal lights on and then having like the water pump run here and there and fan or lights over the stove or maybe your MaxFan. Just a scenario like that is drawing 12-17 Amps if you do that over 4 hours from like 6-10 a night you are going to start draining the battery about 25-30% for that one night through morning if the fridge is running. 100% capacity is 12.8 V which will only read 80% on your solar controller you can only hit a 100% when you have sun out. With this basic scenario you are going to go from 12.8V to 12.5 or 12.4V for the night. On a very sunny day you can probably get back to 12.8 and your fridge can run on solar during the day, however if it is cloudy or partly cloudy you won't get back to 12.8 and you will start your next night at 12.6 or 12.5 and then one more night of basic use will take you to 12.1 or 12.2 - leaving you about one more day to go assuming you get some sun. This doesn't account for using al the systems if you want all the outdoor lights on for a long time and use the TV, etc. you are going to drop much faster.

I carry an 100 watt solar panel that I have a quick connect into the batteries this allows me to feed 300 watts in which the batteries can't really absorb if fully sunny but allows me on partly sunny days or cloudy days to get a more amps in there or when I am parked in the shade get towards the sun otherwise the 200 watts on the top our useless. I also use a Solar Generator Bluetti and top my battery off each night on days it was cloudy or I start trending down.

2) I used my warranty and they have fixed all items I have outlined

3) I check my batteries using a Voltometer I put it around the battery wires and can see the AMPS coming in and going out. If I had short even if everything was turned off I would be losing Amps outside of a very low draw that the solar controller uses.

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I was also thinking that the payload requirements would be reduced and wondered if they kept the tandem axles. I asked them to advise whether they kept the tandems or vent single.
I found a video online from ROA Off Road where they took one of the XR22 units out for some real world testing. Took it up some roads that I would not even consider taking a trailer this size.

It was a lot of fun. We have done tons more testing on it. If you have any questions let me know!

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Thank you!
Question for you:
Those would be very important things to report to your dealer. Imperial cares deeply about their product. So please reach out to your dealer to get this resolved. If you have any issues let me know. Joshk@rvsofamerica.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven