in-tire storage

skysix

Adventurer
Have seen pics of a liquid storage can (oil?) and a storage compartment that are both designed to fit within the rim of a spare tire - anyone have company links?

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
old volkswagens used to offer fuel or tool kits that fit in the spare wheel. (but currently crazy high $ for collectors)
Prob wouldn't be too hard to make one from plywood or even a soft sided to fit (for tools etc)

AKRover

Adventurer
From this article:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/news-articles/34-press-releases/96-g-wagon.html

g280%20explorer%207.jpg

I don't think you could fit much in there, maybe a gallon? That one has a Benz logo on it so I'm going to assume that it's expensive, at least if Mercedes is anything like Land Rover.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I welded a little steel grate to the vertical arm the supports my spare tire on the rear bumper swingout. This effectively creates a storage compartment big enough to hold all four tire chains for the 35" tires in the wheel - it's a lot of space.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
^^^^I took all the tool kits, medical kits and spare gas can out of my M5, to keep the car light. They did go with the car when I sold it. Collectors are weird like that.

William

Observer
I've always thought that these cans were a great idea. Surprising that they are not extensively available in the aftermarket.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
The German out-fitter Woick www.woick.de offered it back in 1999, but I don't see it in their current on-line catalog anymore. BTW, the German term for this contraption is "Felgenkanister".

Tripp

These were still in the spare parts system for MB three years ago when I ordered a pair of them. Twenty-five, or thirty dollars a piece if I recall correctly. Just had a look at mine and the part number matches what Co-opski posted earlier.

Have your local MB dealer search for this part number.

Fuel canister, fits in spare wheel, 7 litres; Part number = B6 758 0039

And while I did buy two of them I agree that they aren't terribly useful, however, half of nothing is still nothing and I do have the space to spare. Eventually I plan to sort out some sort of modern version of the old German Hazet tool boxes that came with older Volkswagens as mentioned earlier in this thread.

attachment.php

Good hunting.

Attachments

• vw toolbox.jpg
    vw toolbox.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 398

kai38

Explorer
There was a guy at the EXPO that made storage "boxes" for the G wagons. Their spare tires hang on the rear door backwards leaving a deep area for storage. His storage box was round & fit inside the rim & locked. It was a very useful item for more storage. I think his name was Karl & his user name here is Fernweh.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This looks like a good opportunity for a DIY solution.

Also, a while back there was a company making custom "matched" luggage for the Mazda Miata (to maximize the limited trunk space), and one of the included items was a round storage bag with a hard bottom that fit the spare tire. Seems like a dry-sack with a plywood insert would serve a similar function.

You could use some thin plastic rounds (HDPE, PTFE, cutting board?) and make a "tool board" like that shown above (or even more than one) and mount it in a cheap dry-bag of the appropriate dimensions and build your own little tool kit, fitted out just the way you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy