inexpensive GPS receiver - usb connector

Just found this regarading GPSGATE & 64 Bit Win 7

http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8252

Still rather not pay $40....:coffee:.....but I downloaded it anyway; at least for the 14 day trial. I have to say, the setup was stupid simple. Even the Win 7 64 bit file swap went without a hitch, that makes me happy considering my recent run-in's with technology.

Last edited:

TrailTrackers

Observer
Just found this regarading GPSGATE & 64 Bit Win 7

http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8252

Still rather not pay $40....:coffee:.....but I downloaded it anyway; at least for the 14 day trial. I have to say, the setup was stupid simple. Even the Win 7 64 bit file swap went without a hitch, that makes me happy considering my recent run-in's with technology.

And that's exactly why I have this same setup - Win7 Ultimate (64-bit) and GpsGate. Just go ahead and pay the 40 bucks and put it behind you. You can't go wrong with GpsGate.

And I'm not sure what thread I mentioned this in so I'll say it again: Any Garmin USB receiver will not be directly compatible with anything but Garmin software. They have their own proprietary format that they output in instead of NMEA.

Last edited:
Yeah, after hooking it up, testing it out & playing around with Mapsource/Nroute, I'll be paying the $40.

For anyone intersted in the GlobalSat GPS unit, be aware that mine was able to pick up a strong/accurate signal from the middle of my basement. :Wow1: :wings:

For comparison, my handheld Garmin GPS eTrex Legend could barely get a signal from my upstairs window, or inside the Jeep; unless it was at the windshield. I'll still be keeping it for those times when I'm on foot though.

Mamontof

Explorer
I have Delorme LT40 , Right nay on sale only $ 40 http://www.delorme.com/

Great and probably the best on laptop when travel on HWY , but not so great as sun you go off the local road ...e .

If you can split your screen and run two program's the same time , simple use Google satellite and LT-40 , that way you can see :)were you going with best accuracy .:smiley_drive:

http://www.delorme.com/ The best cheapest GPS in market :victory:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
And I'm not sure what thread I mentioned this in so I'll say it again: Any Garmin USB receiver will not be directly compatible with anything but Garmin software. They have their own proprietary format that they output in instead of NMEA.

I was using my Garmin 60Cx via USB to my Lenovo S10-3t and NatGeo TOPO Sunday...was able to use it to track my location real-time and also upload the route for a hike I went on...

Then switched to Delorme TOPO, unplugged the Garmin, plugged it back in (pain in the rear, let me tell ya) and got it to read into Delorme...

So I'm not 100% sure what your setup is, but I can verify that the Garmin DOES work via USB with both NatGeo and Delorme. :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Perhaps the difference is if the antenna is solely that, and antenna; or if it is a stand-alone GPS that is outputting some signal? I can see the former not being expected to need to be NEMA, but that latter would have to be in order to be of any use.

I've not used one, but the Gilsson GPS antenna recommended to me a while back look like a great value.

rambrush

Adventurer
Well I threw my global sat in the round file because I could never get it to work w w7 64bit. bought the LT-40 and used this weekend in heavy rain and sleet worked like a champ w topo 8.

arz

Adventurer
I have Delorme LT40 , Right nay on sale only $ 40 http://www.delorme.com/

Great and probably the best on laptop when travel on HWY , but not so great as sun you go off the local road ...e .

If you can split your screen and run two program's the same time , simple use Google satellite and LT-40 , that way you can see :)were you going with best accuracy .:smiley_drive:

http://www.delorme.com/ The best cheapest GPS in market :victory:
or you can get it at Best Buy for the same price and it comes with Streets and Trips 2010

TrailTrackers

Observer
For anyone intersted in the GlobalSat GPS unit, be aware that mine was able to pick up a strong/accurate signal from the middle of my basement. :Wow1: :wings:

That's dang good!

My Garmin 20x picks up a strong signal from my office (1st floor of 2-story home) but I haven't ever taken it into the basement to try it. I have been under heavy tree cover though and it did not lose the signal.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Well I threw my global sat in the round file because I could never get it to work w w7 64bit. bought the LT-40 and used this weekend in heavy rain and sleet worked like a champ w topo 8.

If you still have it and want to mail it up to me, I'll see if I can get it working.

Craig

TrailTrackers

Observer
I was using my Garmin 60Cx via USB to my Lenovo S10-3t and NatGeo TOPO Sunday...was able to use it to track my location real-time and also upload the route for a hike I went on...

Then switched to Delorme TOPO, unplugged the Garmin, plugged it back in (pain in the rear, let me tell ya) and got it to read into Delorme...

So I'm not 100% sure what your setup is, but I can verify that the Garmin DOES work via USB with both NatGeo and Delorme. :)

Sure, I have lots of friends who use their Garmin GPS with their laptops "via" a USB connection, but that's not what I said/meant... I stand by what I said, namely, any Garmin USB receiver will not work directly with any software but Garmin for the reason I mentioned in my previous post. Check Garmin's site if you need to verify that for yourself.:)

Google "Garmin 20x" to see an example of what a USB receiver is.

Strange, I'm using a GlobalSat BU-353 with Win 7- 64 bit. It fired up and was recognized with no hang-ups at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal