Input wanted on up coming trailer build

Killnbusiness

So I'm looking for a little bit of input on on a trailer I'm planning on building very soon. So far as the plan goes I have available for very cheap 4"x3/8" aluminum channel I'm planning to use for the main frame and cross members. I would like to build this trailer as light weight. I've been contemplating making the body from the material total composites makes and framing it with 1"x1/8" square aluminum tubing that I have. Plan on suspension is Timbren axless suspension and matching rims and tires for my '14JKUR. Also plan on having water storage, heater, kitchen setup. I've haven't decided yet on making the body large enough to sleep inside or putting a RTT on top. The main plan for this trailer is to use for extended hunting, camping trips. So all the constructive criticism you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Very few people use channel for the main frame due to flexing issues, but that is not to say that it cannot be used. You may look into the weight/ strength difference between the c channel and a 2x2x1/8" or a 2x3x1/8" frame.

I have the timbren suspension, and it seems very well made. Be sure to opt for the longer spindles and 2000HD.

Ideally you would want water middle of the axle (it was my plan, but you cant do that given the way the timbren sets inboard of the frame rails unless you make the frame rails really wide (Lesson I learned).

The RTT vs camper is personal preference. I opted camper because I didn't want to pay for a RTT, and then the setup, security, wind, rain, etc were all issues with a RTT. I like the idea of pulling into a walmart or truck stop and crashing out if I am tired of driving. You wont do that with a RTT and feel safe.

My advice is to first figure out your restrictions. Overall height, hub to hub of the jeep, overall width, etc.. Then make a list of what you want and grab graphing paper and go to town. I probably had 150 different revisions before settling on a design.

tarditi

Explorer
Would you rather build from scratch or buy a platform and modify it to taste?

With a JKU, I would suggest a RTT and use the lower section for cargo bed or boxes for hauling more stuff.

Killnbusiness

Hey Moto, Thanks for the input!

Well this isn't regular C channel, it's more like ibeam if that makes sense, we have normal C channel and that does flex, as far as flexing goes we have built many trailer frames here at my work with it for industrial air compressors, it does not flex and given the 4" size it gives me lots of add on for underneath the body to "safe" distance above ground.

I was looking at the Timbren with the drop 4" spindles, will be mounting outboard of the frame, haven't decided on 3500lb or 2000lb, will be adding electric brakes.

For the water tank was planning on having two made with wheel wells and mounting on outer side of body secured with the smaller tubing, and black for helping with heat.

My real concern at this time is the composites body, I know I haven't heard of many people using it and I'm very interested in making it camper style, interior dimensions around 4.5'x6'. The rest is up in the air dimensions wise, but I'm with you on convenience of camper style.

Killnbusiness

Hey Tardi,

Well I'm thinking of building from scratch, mostly because I have the material for near free to build the framing, the only main part I'll have to buy would be the Timbren, I could go free with leaf spring but really want the Timbren.

As far as storage goes I'm pretty light weight/minimalist so with the unlimited I can fit most everything in the vehicle.

Rwhat

Observer
Do you know how to weld aluminum? alot of stuff looks good on paper however bringing it to reality can be difficult.
I personally would not make a trailer frame out of aluminum. Especially if your going to hang a timbren axle. It can be done, however steel frame is more forgiving, easier to build and will have way less tendency to stress crack. Building something because a certain material is a good deal can lead to more work down the road.

I'm not knocking aluminum frames. It's just executing it correctly like some of the big companies. I especially like how schutt industrial rivets their frames.

Last edited:

Killnbusiness

Yes sir I do know how to weld aluminum, but I will be having my fabricator here at work weld it for me :) I'm not against letting someone do something better than I can, or advise on how how to do things which is why we are all here right? I value your opinion Rwhat, my question to you is why "especially if going to hang a timbren"? Is there something that I've overlooked with that suspension that would cause more stress? My opinion on framing is any material can be used as long as certain criteria are met. We see alot of different frames come thru my work place, rivets are nice and work, we prefer a combination of welding and huck rivets which is the route I will be going. Hopefully my ideas will lead to less work down the road, and when something does fail (there is no doubt something will) it will be quick and easy to fix :)

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
On the Timbren you can get a 2000hd so that you have 2000lbs "springs" so to speak and the heavier built spindles. its the same concept as a 3500lbs straight axle and 2000lbs leaf springs.

Choff

Adventurer
Aluminum trailer frame

Have you seen the Xventure XV-2 expedition trailer-ALL ALUMIUNUM FRAME CHECK THE WEB SITE !!!!
Very nice trailer
Building out of aluminum is a weight saver for fuel
Choff

1store

Banned
For the $50.00 more I go with the 3500 spindles much more bearing . To me the one's that build" off roar trailers" and use a 2000 spindles YOU SHOULD PASS ON. There more interested in putting 50.00 in there pocket than look out for you

Last edited:

Killnbusiness

I agree with you both Moto and Store, when I spoke with the vendor on the timbrens he told me that was an option and I agree 100%. I'm still working out the math on how much I expect my trailer to weight and then the weight of water, tanks, etc., etc., I might end up going with the 3500lb spring rate as well?

Killnbusiness

Just now thought of one other question for everyone, which seems to pull better behind the jeep, axle mounted further back for more tongue weight or axle further up. My initial design and thought was axle forward?

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I agree 100% with 1store. The 2000HD would be a much better fit for a "offroad" trailer. If you go 3500lbs then it will ride too rough, and 2000lbs you are saving $50.00 at the risk of a weaker spindle.

Rwhat

Observer
Yes sir I do know how to weld aluminum, but I will be having my fabricator here at work weld it for me :) I'm not against letting someone do something better than I can, or advise on how how to do things which is why we are all here right? I value your opinion Rwhat, my question to you is why "especially if going to hang a timbren"? Is there something that I've overlooked with that suspension that would cause more stress? My opinion on framing is any material can be used as long as certain criteria are met. We see alot of different frames come thru my work place, rivets are nice and work, we prefer a combination of welding and huck rivets which is the route I will be going. Hopefully my ideas will lead to less work down the road, and when something does fail (there is no doubt something will) it will be quick and easy to fix :)

Sounds good. If you can do the welding or have it done. The timbren axles are neat. I would just put some thought into mounting it. Like maybe sleeving the aluminum with some DOM for the bolt holes and reinforcing the areas surrounding it to prevent fatigue. Since a lot of the load will be focused in the mounting area on the verticals and horizontal plane with 5 bolts, compared to spread out with leaf springs in 4 points.

Haven't seen what other builders do to hang the axle on a aluminum frame. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but It would suck to be wishing you did it another way. I would suggest looking around for info.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I would use some steel 2x2x (3/16" or 1/4") to make a cross brace between the two timbren axles. I am not 100% how you would create the inner frame gusset on a cchannel frame, but Timbren says the cross member is good enough.

Maybe just cut some 3/16 plate out and use it as a backer so that it helps distribute the forces over the aluminum. Keep in mind you may have issues with corrosion with steel on Aluminum contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner