Installed new LED tail lights last weekend, what do you think?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I love that you have to call names in order to make a point. and that makes my point valid and correct. I have no disdain for science. just your opinions. As I said previously, I have EXPERIENCE driving in the night with all sorts of lights. I care less about what you say....I do agree with your views on amber signal lighting. You opinons are waaaaaayyyyyyyy out of wack regarding the "halos" are going to KILL you. You really should relax. Maybe all the time in your little garage has you going insane.

I have more miles in the night time driving, than you have in your entire lifetime driving. Just how it is. I am very sorry Bill that no everyone agrees with you and Mr. Stern.

Have a Burger over a campfire....Oh, and a Beer.....You need some stress relief or something. And please. Keep the name calling to the playground.

BTW......My eyes are on loan from GOD.....a much better source of equipment than Dell computers, or keysight technologies. FYI. Since you were throwing out names to some how make your point, I shall do the same!

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
A little bit over dramatic, watch out everyone, your halos will get you killed! but the halos of any type, including the half halos in the JWs are freakin stupid. They look like a 5 year old desgined them.
Halos will not get you killed. OEMs such as BMW started the halo design. It acts, in their application, as a city light/ DRL. While they look completely rice on noon original applications, they are certainly not going to get you killed. Carrying through with a lighting modification will however get you a ticket as changing from original and federally approved is illegal.

When I had my GLI, I bought the Euro LED tails, swapped the pins, added a jumper to the body computer under the dash, and reprogrammed to allow amber tails. Wasn't easy but wasn't that hard. Amber signals were not illegal but I probably could have gotten a ticket for the non approved tail lamps.

Viggen

Just here...
The contrast of amber against red gives a clear indication of intent.
When you're talking about vehicular lighting and signaling, clear and distinct signals can mean the difference between a near-miss and and an accident.
In that regard, LED tail lights are a big improvement ----- very vivid color, achieve full illumination very fast. Win win.
True, they can be but not always that distinct. Look at modern Rovers and the new Ford. The amber is drowned out by the brighter, more numerous red LEDs that are lit up when you are on the brakes. The amber should really be separated more to be truly effective. If packaged close, red with blinking red is easier to see.

kojackJKU

Halos will not get you killed. OEMs such as BMW started the halo design. It acts, in their application, as a city light/ DRL. While they look completely rice on noon original applications, they are certainly not going to get you killed. Carrying through with a lighting modification will however get you a ticket as changing from original and federally approved is illegal.

When I had my GLI, I bought the Euro LED tails, swapped the pins, added a jumper to the body computer under the dash, and reprogrammed to allow amber tails. Wasn't easy but wasn't that hard. Amber signals were not illegal but I probably could have gotten a ticket for the non approved tail lamps.

It was not me who said that....It was the light meter master above! Halos look "rice" as you say on even original equipment applications....If I had a bmw with them, I would figure out a way to disconnect them and use the headlights as DRL.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
True, they can be but not always that distinct. Look at modern Rovers and the new Ford. The amber is drowned out by the brighter, more numerous red LEDs that are lit up when you are on the brakes. The amber should really be separated more to be truly effective. If packaged close, red with blinking red is easier to see.
Yeah, VW also has some very ineffective amber-on-red combos that could use a redesign.
My wife's FIAT has a tail/turn combo that pierces the night like sharks with lasers. Very effective, distinct.

kojackJKU

BTW, Bill, Don't use words you do not know the meaning of.....LUDDITE? I am far from a LUDDITE. If you know the true meaning. I am someone who rejects your theories, testing and technology.....NOT ALL theories, testing and technology..... There is a HUGE difference! I'm going off roading now...enjoy your garage playing with your borrowed equipment. :smiley_drive:

Viggen

Just here...
Look viggen, you are now in Bills kill list. NON approved tail lamps. How non smart you are. ha ha.
It's in the vehicle code. Lighting modifications, bring changes to the lighting as originally equipped, are illegal. It's just true. If I had ever encountered an inspections agent who cared, it would have been instant failure.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
"Approved" is sort of misleading word. As I read the Fed. requirements, Lighting must meet various requirements of placement, function, surface area, candela, etc. etc. but there is no requirement for being an "approved" item.
The manufacturer places "DOT", "E-code", etc. upon the lamps in effect to certify their lamp meets a requirement of its intended function.

Were a guy to cobble up their own lighting of beer bottles for example, so long as it meets the requirements, (placement colour, function,etc.) its legal.

Said that, I think various "CDL" types of vehicles require lighting be commercially manufactured & bear manufacturer "certification", as well as the obvious placement, colours, function, etc.

Its common to see laws written or understood in a manner what implys more restrictive than they really are.

Btw, I wish all brakes were red & turn blinkers amber.
I am not a Jeep fan, but applaud O.Ps. efforts to change his vehicle to 'Euro-Japper style rear lighting.
Also a luddite myself, I dont know what "halos"are. Must be something newfangled to do with cars having blade fuses & serpentine belts...
Right. The DOT doesn't "approve" anything.
A light manufacturer makes a light, tests and assays that it meets a mandated criteria of performance.
This is the criteria that JW Speaker is meeting in the US (and Canada for all intents and purposes): http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108
Here's some international info: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs.html

If Joe Handyman chops up his light, modifies it, cobbles it back together, it needs to meet the criteria again. It probably will not... ...if it did, and if queried, Joe needs to produce some sort of relevant test information to prove that it meets FMVSS-108.
There is terribly little enforcement of these laws. But there are more and more insurance adjusters that scrutinize a vehicle's lighting after an accident. They are simply following the money, their money, and looking for ways to deny a claim or pursue subrogation of their loss.
There are also more and more LE jurisdictions becoming aware of what a legal headlight is, why, and writing tickets.

Viggen

Just here...
"Approved" is sort of misleading word. As I read the Fed. requirements, Lighting must meet various requirements of placement, function, surface area, candela, etc. etc. but there is no requirement for being an "approved" item.
The manufacturer places "DOT", "E-code", etc. upon the lamps in effect to certify their lamp meets a requirement of its intended function.

Were a guy to cobble up their own lighting of beer bottles for example, so long as it meets the requirements, (placement colour, function,etc.) its legal.

My set up, which I could have gotten a ticket for removed the DOT approved rear lamps and replaced then with Hella Euro market only units. Those units were not DOT anything and also did not have a built in reflector, which I believe the government requires somewhere on the back of every vehicle.

My DD Focus had amber turns factory, it being one of Fords global platforms. Amber is great but packaging matters. Modern LR, Ford Explorer, and a few others with amber LED lamps simply place the amber portion too close and it all bleeds into one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater