Installed Stratos suspension seat

kerry

Expedition Leader
I found a new Stratos suspension seat on Ebay just 30 miles from my house. Installed it and drove it to work today. It provides a substantial increase in comfort. It was well worth the effort. Stratos told me they sold adapters to fit a 99FG but would not send them to the USA because they have found that hole patterns are different in US trucks. So I made my own adapter bracket to install it. I'm about 5'10" inches tall and I drive in just about the farthest back position. It probably wouldn't work for anyone much taller.
I wonder how it compares to the standard Fuso suspension seat?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Kerry

Kerry wrote>>>>>>>>>Just looked at the dimensions of the Stratos and measured the Fuso seat. Looks like a flat steel plate with holes drilled in the location of the original Fuso seat bolts allowing the plate to be bolted to the sliders and a second set of holes thru which the Stratos can be bolted should work. Is that how you did it?

Sorry mate. Only just saw this now and didn't realize you were asking.

Yeah something like that but you shouldn't need a full plate. 2 Strips should be OK. Post some pics of how you did it. I'm sure some of the other guys would be interested to see how it turned out.

Anyway sounds like it was worth the effort. Know your bum will definitely thank you down the track.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yep, used two steel strips and a piece of oak under the left side to bring it level with the raised right side. Pictures aren't uploading right now or I'd take a picture. I haven't painted it yet so it still looks only half finished. I had to removed the left armrest because it hit the door.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Kerry

Just had a thought that maybe the cab section where the seats bolt down is different between LHD and RHD models. Must be why Stratos won't send them. When we put a Stratos seat on the left we fabricate our own brackets anyway and never used the Stratos ones. The LHD seat holes must be closer to the door than the RHD. Wierd.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'll try the armrest again now that I have everything tightly bolted down. When I was centering the seat on the metal pieces I bolted down to the original holes and was marking the holes for the bolts from the bottom of the Stratos, I tried closing the door and it hit the armrest, pushing the seat to the right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach