Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Mtpisgah

What kind of locks are folks using to secure the door? Was looking at the Abus Granit padlocks.

I use this

If someone really wants in, they will get in. As someone pointed out a few months ago on the ACCC FB page, remove the door hinge bolts or the hasp bolts and you are in.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Any way to add something by that on a Gladiator but maintain the ability to remove the t tops?

I had a great conversation with Rin for about an hour on this very subject at the Asheville Outfitters Open House when I went to pay for our Projects Canopy Camper. We came up with the following solution that I will be using to mount 3 Zarges Cases, orginally I was hooping to mount on the camper top. That said with input I with our lift and tire size we came to the conclusion that with the cases we would not only be well over 8 feet tall. But the difficulty of removing the cases would negate their usefullness. Especially with my combat injuries. With the ability to be able to remove the front freedom panels on the Gladiator. We came to the solution of mounting to the gutters to of the Freedom Panels, yes limited in weight but should be good for around 100-150lbs. Which is more than I would realistically put up there at maybe 75-90lbs with the 3 cases. Mainly recovery gear and extra equipment. We will end up using something like the front runner or similar rack that can be mounted as such and cut down to fit the size of the front panels. I have to double check but think I may be able to get a little space underneath the overhang as well. When we are not on a long trip and will be kicking it where we dont need cases , weather to remove front panels. We will end up just finding a way to have it be able to be quick released and have our panels able to be removed without issue. But when we need the extra storage on a longer trip we have the option to mount the rack up there. We will also be using some type of light bar up there, although I enjoy the KC lights Gravity Pros I am not 100% sold on going this route at this time. This said with the lights up there and ability to have a rack with some type of fairing we shoudl be able to pick up some mileage back for the longer trips, maintain a lower profile, be able to transform into summer mode IE remove front panels, and have extra storage when needed. Good Luck. Ill post up a video when we get to this portion of our build on our youtube and post up photos on our instagram for our Veteran Overland Project to Stop Veteran Suicide, links in siganture.

Mtpisgah

I had a great conversation with Rin for about an hour on this very subject at the Asheville Outfitters Open House when I went to pay for our Projects Canopy Camper. We came up with the following solution that I will be using to mount 3 Zarges Cases, orginally I was hooping to mount on the camper top. That said with input I with our lift and tire size we came to the conclusion that with the cases we would not only be well over 8 feet tall. But the difficulty of removing the cases would negate their usefullness. Especially with my combat injuries. With the ability to be able to remove the front freedom panels on the Gladiator. We came to the solution of mounting to the gutters to of the Freedom Panels, yes limited in weight but should be good for around 100-150lbs. Which is more than I would realistically put up there at maybe 75-90lbs with the 3 cases. Mainly recovery gear and extra equipment. We will end up using something like the front runner or similar rack that can be mounted as such and cut down to fit the size of the front panels. I have to double check but think I may be able to get a little space underneath the overhang as well. When we are not on a long trip and will be kicking it where we dont need cases , weather to remove front panels. We will end up just finding a way to have it be able to be quick released and have our panels able to be removed without issue. But when we need the extra storage on a longer trip we have the option to mount the rack up there. We will also be using some type of light bar up there, although I enjoy the KC lights Gravity Pros I am not 100% sold on going this route at this time. This said with the lights up there and ability to have a rack with some type of fairing we shoudl be able to pick up some mileage back for the longer trips, maintain a lower profile, be able to transform into summer mode IE remove front panels, and have extra storage when needed. Good Luck. Ill post up a video when we get to this portion of our build on our youtube and post up photos on our instagram for our Veteran Overland Project to Stop Veteran Suicide, links in siganture.

interesting solution but I do not want to have to remove a rack to open the tops. I guess I will just continue to accept the bad mileage. It will get worse this week when the 35s go on.

Lee S

Would someone be willing to supply the measurements for electrical panel (driver side rear) for the Alu-Cabin? Would like to preplan layout.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
interesting solution but I do not want to have to remove a rack to open the tops. I guess I will just continue to accept the bad mileage. It will get worse this week when the 35s go on.

The Solution could be refined further to have it where you can can have half racks on each side, or quick pins for the freedom panels that come off. Why accept something if you are looking for a solution. I have given you the begining of an alphabet now it is up to you to make the words. Put some ideas together and work wit ha fabricator to come up with the perfect solution for you. Just because of the solution that I have accepted may not work for you, doesnt mean that in there you cannot find a way to make something work for you as well. Otherwise you are stuck using Alucab rails or putting extra cargo inside of the camper. Good Luck either way.

Mtpisgah

The Solution could be refined further to have it where you can can have half racks on each side, or quick pins for the freedom panels that come off. Why accept something if you are looking for a solution. I have given you the begining of an alphabet now it is up to you to make the words. Put some ideas together and work wit ha fabricator to come up with the perfect solution for you. Just because of the solution that I have accepted may not work for you, doesnt mean that in there you cannot find a way to make something work for you as well. Otherwise you are stuck using Alucab rails or putting extra cargo inside of the camper. Good Luck either way.

Storage is not my goal, better gas mileage is. I would like to adapt a faring to fit to the t tops or the ACCC that can be easily removed. A Sherpa rack would achieve that but interferes with the t tops.

I will need to fabricate some brackets to attach to the camper so a fairing hangs over the t tops but does not interfere with their removal. We take them off too often to give up that ability. Maybe I will pick up a used Thule/Yakima fairing and play with it.

I never expected good gas mileage with the camper, but hearing that a Sherpa helps I want to try something like it.

siebermd

Adventurer
Just curious if anyone has ever entertained the idea of opening up a Pass-Thru to the rear window of the truck? Then you could actually utilize the trucks heat via a remote start. Of course it would require some clever sealing between cab and camper, a tire inner tube perhaps.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Storage is not my goal, better gas mileage is. I would like to adapt a faring to fit to the t tops or the ACCC that can be easily removed. A Sherpa rack would achieve that but interferes with the t tops.

I will need to fabricate some brackets to attach to the camper so a fairing hangs over the t tops but does not interfere with their removal. We take them off too often to give up that ability. Maybe I will pick up a used Thule/Yakima fairing and play with it.

I never expected good gas mileage with the camper, but hearing that a Sherpa helps I want to try something like it.

I modified a Front Runner Slim Line II to suit my Colorado / ACCC combo, primarily for firewood storage outside the camper but I do find much less wind resistance and noise versus before the rack.

1640807632461.png

Mtpisgah

I modified a Front Runner Slim Line II to suit my Colorado / ACCC combo, primarily for firewood storage outside the camper but I do find much less wind resistance and noise versus before the rack.

Thanks, I will look into that.

lumis

I second what Rin did, I just flipped the slimline rack and made some small notches in the mount to allow it to flip and big wind faring with the small faring on top. made a noticeable difference.

GZ6A9414.jpg

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Add me to the list of those with racks up front. Agreed that it cut down on general wind noise and resistance too, although I do need to adjust the mini fairing a bit. So nice to have my recovery boards on there vs strapped to the top of the camper, got plenty of use out of them this past year and more likely to grab that piece of gear when its easy access. Also great for firewood!

w0SDEX_NSS-IDZ6_CUPAXA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy