Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

seatoskyexplorer

My truck has a Prinsu rack with a notch cut out of it to accommodate the Alu-Cab table. I already had the Prinsu on the truck before I installed the Canopy Camper, so this was a good option for my needs.

IMG_4210.jpg

smbisig

Adventurer
Hi All,

Couple questions.

Does anyone have the GP Factor windows installed on their canopy camper? What's your review and if you installed them yourself, how was that?

And does anyone know the bolt size for rooftop slot channels off the top of their head? It could be M8...

Best

I installed mine this past weekend. Pretty easy install if you have the correct tools. I would recommend a small air saw to for clean cut lines. Also, make sure you add some anti-seize to the carriage bolts that go into the doors. It doesn't take much to strip out the factory slots on the doors.D04D35F1-14C4-4CC2-9A76-E225294EE1BD.jpeg

Lee S

Question for group: Has anyone used the Jackery to supply power to cooler/freezers? If so what size and how long will they last for a 50 L cooler average 66w per hour.

considering useing one of those in place of a 100ah lithium battery, dc to dc charger, and solar panels.
Thanks

dvivian

Question for group: Has anyone used the Jackery to supply power to cooler/freezers? If so what size and how long will they last for a 50 L cooler average 66w per hour.

considering useing one of those in place of a 100ah lithium battery, dc to dc charger, and solar panels.
Thanks

I use a Dometic PLB40 which is pretty similar to a Jackery 500.... runs fridge, lights, etc for about 48 hours. I also carry a portable Overland Solar and just top off during the day or plug in to the inverter when driving. Works well for weekend trips although I'd like a bit more power for longer weeks/months out.

gnel

Thanks
I use a Jackery 1000 powering a Dometic 75 litre fridge /freezer. I can get close to 4 days off a full charge depending on the weather. When I´m in a camp for multiple days I charge it with 2x100 watt foldable solar panels. That keeps it topped up daily. When driving It´s recharging while it and the fridge are plugged into the trucks 12v.
I love the fact that this system can be moved to any vehicle,boat ect. The jackery is also fairly compact and light. Would buy again!

Flyelk1

Same for me, except I run an Ecoflow Delta. Love it. My fridge is a NL 50L. 120w solar keeps the Delta charged and fridge is fine. No issues at all. I have been out for weeks at a time without any problems.
I will be moving it to an Alu Cabin next week with 186 w solar, so I expect the same.

clintium

I just found this thread and I'm so excited to slowly read it all. Ordered my alu cabin through Tiny Rig about a month ago. Last I heard we were targeting a March install date. Anyone know about how long they'll have my truck in the shop? I live a couple of hours away so I need to plan. I have an email out but no response for about a week now. Busy shop, I know.

My truck is a 2016 Tundra doublecab. My order is pretty much barebones alu-cabin.

Tonight I got the final shipment of all of my electrical system! Honestly I'm a little overwhelmed but I've done a ton of research and was able to buy really nice products to make it easy. I found this thread looking for plans to mount my solar panel. Input welcome! In general I'd love input on everything. I've got a little experience with electrical wiring but I've never done anything this big or expensive.

Here's my power build so far:

Charge Controller and Battery Management - REDARC Manager30

Power Box - I haven't exactly sorted this out yet. The idea is that I'll build a wooden bench to hold everything. That way I can pull it out and lug it around for convenience and storage if it won't be in use in the truck for an extended duration. I'm thinking I'll include some USB outlets and 120VAC NEMA outlets on the side as well. Possibly a little fan to keep air flowing, but I'd wager that's overkill.

Battery
- 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 from Battle Born (x1)

Solar Panel - 200W panel from redarc (x1)

Solar Panel Mounting
- these little adhesive spoiler things from redarc. I found this thread looking for a better solution. I really want to mount via the roof rails. Any advice? I found the posts back on page 64 about using the M8 carriage bolts. But what is the actual mounting hardware to hold the panel in place? The M8 bolts have to attach to something, right? Or should I keep it easy and use the adhesive spoilers?

Inverter - Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Power Saving Mode (New Edition)

Fridge - ARB 63Q 12V Portable Fridge Freezer

Other Stuff - The redarc manager30 and ARB fridge came as part of this kit from redarc.

Bushmaster5K

I just found this thread and I'm so excited to slowly read it all. Ordered my alu cabin through Tiny Rig about a month ago. Last I heard we were targeting a March install date. Anyone know about how long they'll have my truck in the shop? I live a couple of hours away so I need to plan. I have an email out but no response for about a week now. Busy shop, I know.

My truck is a 2016 Tundra doublecab. My order is pretty much barebones alu-cabin.

Tonight I got the final shipment of all of my electrical system! Honestly I'm a little overwhelmed but I've done a ton of research and was able to buy really nice products to make it easy. I found this thread looking for plans to mount my solar panel. Input welcome! In general I'd love input on everything. I've got a little experience with electrical wiring but I've never done anything this big or expensive.

Here's my power build so far:

Charge Controller and Battery Management - REDARC Manager30

Power Box - I haven't exactly sorted this out yet. The idea is that I'll build a wooden bench to hold everything. That way I can pull it out and lug it around for convenience and storage if it won't be in use in the truck for an extended duration. I'm thinking I'll include some USB outlets and 120VAC NEMA outlets on the side as well. Possibly a little fan to keep air flowing, but I'd wager that's overkill.

Battery - 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 from Battle Born (x1)

Solar Panel - 200W panel from redarc (x1)

Solar Panel Mounting - these little adhesive spoiler things from redarc. I found this thread looking for a better solution. I really want to mount via the roof rails. Any advice? I found the posts back on page 64 about using the M8 carriage bolts. But what is the actual mounting hardware to hold the panel in place? The M8 bolts have to attach to something, right? Or should I keep it easy and use the adhesive spoilers?

Inverter - Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Power Saving Mode (New Edition)

Fridge - ARB 63Q 12V Portable Fridge Freezer

Other Stuff - The redarc manager30 and ARB fridge came as part of this kit from redarc.
Tiny Rig installed ours. We payed for the bed seal work also. One day for the bed sealing to set. Three additional days for the Alu-cab install. The Sikaflex has to set overnight. I know it's a long time but trust me it's worth it, NO DUST or WATER intrusion afterwards.

Safe travels

clintium

I used regular M8 carriage bolts on mine to mount my solar panels on the roof and they worked perfectly. I put the head of the carriage bolt into the slot...

M8's work on the lower slots and inside too, but for those you need to use the "jam" nuts, which are not as thick. The regular ones are too thick.

In a pinch, I've used 5/16 jam nuts in the lower slots too, but they don't work as well as the M8's.
Super helpful, thank you. So what is the actual solar panel mounting fixture? Is there like a frame that holds your panel, with mounting points to the m8 bolts? Did you fab something yourself or is there a product?

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Has alucab installed one of these on an f150 yet? I know they just recently introduced the alucabin, but I've only seen a small handful of videos from overland expo and alucab about it (mounted on a ram). I haven't seen any expo members with one.

lognar

Rear molle panel size? Can't seem to find dimensions on alu-cab site or ok4wd or anywhere else... does anyone have dimensions, or willing to measure, for the rear molle panels, looking for the height and width of the actual mountable area. Looking to mount a joolca hottap shower to the outside inside a zip case if it will fit. Thanks in advance.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
We where finally able to have our camper installed this past week at Asheville Outfitters. Although, we still have much to do we had them install the Camper, Awning, and do part of the Dickenson install. I spent yesterday trying to button down some other things. I still have much to do yet welcome the challenges now that I feel that I am finally over the COVID bug.

CAMPER to Do:

Interior:

Rear Molle Panels GP FACTOR (Need Hardware)
Rear Table/EXO (Need to order)
GP Factor Side Panel Molle Panel (Todays Project)
Install our Battle Born Lithium Ion 200AH, Redarc Redvision, Overland Solar Panels 265W, 1200w invertor
Add Second Microphone for GMRS to control the main unit
Add 110/ USBC/12V
Bed Rug (waiting for delivery)
Finish the Propane tubing (Need to order parts and finish plumbing heater / add secondary output for a stove/skottle)
Install Goose Gear Interior
Install Insulation
Install Fan
Plumb Water
Install Dometic CFX95DZ Fridge
Install Fire Extinguisher (Today)

I think that covers most of my interior things.

Exterior:
Add exterior scene lighting to include rear chase bar
Add gp factor step
Install Rear Gutter (Today)

Other than these things which are monumental of an undertaking if done correctly. I dont really have such a long list of things to do. Hopefully I can easily reach my 01May Target.
On top of this the rig still needs so much to be done. We just picked it up on 23 December 2021.

Interior Rig:
Rear Seat Delete - Goose Gear
Front Seat Covers
Install Fire extinguisher (Today)
Satellite Radio / GPS Antenna Relocation
Satellite Comms
APRS BlueberryPie System HAM (Settled on just using GMRS to keep simplicity for all users.
Insulation for Freedom Top
Rear Cargo Shelf

Exterior Rig:
Install Suspension when my Falcon Shocks come in Teraflex RT3 LT (Working on custom spring rates)
Front Solar Panel Cascadia Solar
Upgrade Battery for Winch and exterior lighting
Exterior Graphics
Steering Upgrades
Underbelly Protection
Gussets for Danas
Larger Sliders with Steps
Front ARB Deluxe Bumper with Warn EVO 10k
Might replace rear Bumper ( Was thinking about single side swingout EXP-1 to be able to hold extra Nomad and Grabber x3 in 37")

That pretty much covers it I think. I know there are some things missing. Just need to start getting back on the phone and the ball. Fingers crossed both the weather and manufacturers/partners hold out for us. So much to do alone, so much better with some help we will be talking with someone this week about that with the install. In the end we will get the Veteran Overland Project off the ground either way. Yet, we want this also to be a fun and inspiring project for all involved. Not just work blood sweat and tears. Thanks so far to all those involved.

Pictures from the other day.

Attachments

• 258780152_356277836320940_8152138113570876576_n (1).jpg
    258780152_356277836320940_8152138113570876576_n (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 65
  • 272674755_303703431628125_2082311279854156692_n.jpg
    272674755_303703431628125_2082311279854156692_n.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • 272454355_777184757008949_4407867554034738377_n.jpg
    272454355_777184757008949_4407867554034738377_n.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 272230470_723598881938580_7145730598181120212_n.jpg
    272230470_723598881938580_7145730598181120212_n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 262547834_463117922186904_2158349316103598404_n.jpg
    262547834_463117922186904_2158349316103598404_n.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Rear molle panel size? Can't seem to find dimensions on alu-cab site or ok4wd or anywhere else... does anyone have dimensions, or willing to measure, for the rear molle panels, looking for the height and width of the actual mountable area. Looking to mount a joolca hottap shower to the outside inside a zip case if it will fit. Thanks in advance.

The usable area from top to bottom is approximately 19 1/4” if you don’t have anything like a chimney or tank mounted. Width top 9 1/2” tapering wide out towards the bottom to 10 1/2”. These where quick measurements in the dark while putting on my lock tonight. Hopefully it’s helpful

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Has alucab installed one of these on an f150 yet? I know they just recently introduced the alucabin, but I've only seen a small handful of videos from overland expo and alucab about it (mounted on a ram). I haven't seen any expo members with one.

I remember seeing one mounted on a Ram 3500. But don’t recall seeing and Ford pickups as of this time. Though I am far from looking. I did however talk to a search and rescue up in Asheville that are doing two f350s with canopies. One short and one long bed for when they are doing continuous ops. This was through Asheville Outfitters. So I would assume talking with your local supplier may be your best bet for more information on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy