Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

LunarErik

I would love to hear some of the funny comments/questions people have asked when they see your Canopy Camper. I will start :LOL:

"What is that, like DJ equipment??"

or

"Oh cool, you even have a ramp on the back to load up your motorcycle!" (talking about the Maxtrax mounted to the door)

MR E30

I would love to hear some of the funny comments/questions people have asked when they see your Canopy Camper. I will start :LOL:

or

"Oh cool, you even have a ramp on the back to load up your motorcycle!" (talking about the Maxtrax mounted to the door)

I haven't had any silly comments, though some people do ask if it is a construction topper.

I mainly get curious folks who are ultimately surprised that it has so much in it. The top opening up for a bed (something very intuitive to me personally) always seems to surprise people.

I also received loads of comments when I first got it, literally every time I would take it somewhere. Now it is far less common for some reason.

kb1ejh

or

Hey is that a food truck or something? (pointing to the Alu-Cabin)
If they ask if it is a camper, I can usually escape the gas station 30 minutes later if I am lucky. It's always interesting going places with it I have to say.

smbisig

Adventurer
If they ask if it is a camper, I can usually escape the gas station 30 minutes later if I am lucky. It's always interesting going places with it I have to say.

Yep, anytime I drive the Gladiator, I show it to someone. I was even in the mountains this past summer and got chased down by an another Gladiator owner asking to see it. Working in the off-road industry, I do enjoy talking about the product on my Jeep though, so all is good.

MR E30

I just saw AluCab's video on the Gen 3-R tent, and their part about the adjustable, built-in backrest is just too good to not buy and put in my CC.

With that in mind, I feel like I need to swap from the Exped to the Hest mattress.

I know we discussed it recently, and everyone says it's comfortable (I've laid on one myself), but how does it impact closing the tent? I really like being able to leave a lot of bedding up top, while not feeling like I am crushing the tent down and straining the latches to the extreme.

Thanks.

smbisig

Adventurer
I know we discussed it recently, and everyone says it's comfortable (I've laid on one myself), but how does it impact closing the tent? I really like being able to leave a lot of bedding up top, while not feeling like I am crushing the tent down and straining the latches to the extreme.

Thanks.

I upgraded to an Exped Mega Mat over the summer and what a difference it made. Depending on the conditions, I use either a heavy down sleeping bag or a large Thermarest down blanket. I also have a fitted sheet and wool blanket on top. The only time it has felt "tight" to compress and close is when I left my bamboo, full-size pillow up there as well. Now I just keep my pillow either in the cab or down below in the camper while traveling.

kb1ejh

I just saw AluCab's video on the Gen 3-R tent, and their part about the adjustable, built-in backrest is just too good to not buy and put in my CC.

With that in mind, I feel like I need to swap from the Exped to the Hest mattress.

Thanks.
So I just changed from the Exped to the Hest. Mind you I have only napped in it at horse show once so far but I think I like it overall for a few reasons.
1. Often I'd forget to open the exhaust valve of the Exped and it would make it tough to close up. I'd reopen the cabin and deflate it and reclose the thing.
2. The Hest is a bit narrower. About 2". I find this better because the Exped was right up on the canvas on both sides and would make lifting the loft a pain at times and allowed for a bit of condensation to build in the colder times.
3. The Hest flexes. If you inflate the Exped and then lift the loft you are lifting basically an inflatable SUP. With the loft hinged at least in the cabin it was lifting the pad up from where the hinges are rubbing on the canvas sides. With the Hest narrower and flexing at the hinges the loft goes up easily. I was originally concerned about the weight of the Hest on the struts but it seems to lift up a lot better now than with the Exped. I also was using a Tepui sleeping bag with the Exped but have removed the bag and gone with sheets and a down blanket. I don't know if that made much of a difference.

If you're going to put the back rest in, it will probably work better with a Hest as because as I said it is narrower and flexes better. The Exped is good but just doesn't seem to work as well in the ACCCs.

kb1ejh

I haven't had any silly comments, though some people do ask if it is a construction topper.

I mainly get curious folks who are ultimately surprised that it has so much in it. The top opening up for a bed (something very intuitive to me personally) always seems to surprise people.

I also received loads of comments when I first got it, literally every time I would take it somewhere. Now it is far less common for some reason.
Curiosity folks were out in full force today for some reason. Alu-cab should send us brochures to hand out. Would make stopping at places easier if we could just hand them a FAQ sheet... :rolleyes:

MR E30

So I just changed from the Exped to the Hest. Mind you I have only napped in it at horse show once so far but I think I like it overall for a few reasons.
1. Often I'd forget to open the exhaust valve of the Exped and it would make it tough to close up. I'd reopen the cabin and deflate it and reclose the thing.
2. The Hest is a bit narrower. About 2". I find this better because the Exped was right up on the canvas on both sides and would make lifting the loft a pain at times and allowed for a bit of condensation to build in the colder times.
3. The Hest flexes. If you inflate the Exped and then lift the loft you are lifting basically an inflatable SUP. With the loft hinged at least in the cabin it was lifting the pad up from where the hinges are rubbing on the canvas sides. With the Hest narrower and flexing at the hinges the loft goes up easily. I was originally concerned about the weight of the Hest on the struts but it seems to lift up a lot better now than with the Exped. I also was using a Tepui sleeping bag with the Exped but have removed the bag and gone with sheets and a down blanket. I don't know if that made much of a difference.

If you're going to put the back rest in, it will probably work better with a Hest as because as I said it is narrower and flexes better. The Exped is good but just doesn't seem to work as well in the ACCCs.

Fantastic, this is exactly what I was looking for. I agree that the Hest will do a lot better with being bent by the backrest.

I'll get on ordering a Hest here shortly. Thank you.

gnel

Thanks.

Hey do you have a link to that video? I couldn´t find it just photos. TIA

Stevieb.o.g

Different topic and I imagine there might be The answer I’m looking for in A different thread but does anyone have any real world experiences with driving lights mounted on the bumper vs up top in front of the camper edge? Specifically how they effect forward viz and how much glare there is if mounted up top? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle