iPad Mount

coastsider

Adventurer
My iPad getto mount

Not exactly one of those fancy RAM mounts (which I really like). But it cost $15 to make with off the shelf stuff from Ace hardware, it took me about 2 hours to build and mount. Works great, is very solid, no shake or movement. Only downside is that it will not swivel, but it's mainly for my co pilot, navigator, wife so just forward facing is fine. The iPad is the most awesome piece of electronic equipment I have in the truck. It's a GPS, Topo Map reader, music player, information center, movie player, radio, web browser and photo library and more!

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 113

Kilroy

Adventurer
Very nicely done. Is your iPad in an Otter case?

Not exactly one of those fancy RAM mounts (which I really like). But it cost $15 to make with off the shelf stuff from Ace hardware, it took me about 2 hours to build and mount. Works great, is very solid, no shake or movement. Only downside is that it will not swivel, but it's mainly for my co pilot, navigator, wife so just forward facing is fine. The iPad is the most awesome piece of electronic equipment I have in the truck. It's a GPS, Topo Map reader, music player, information center, movie player, radio, web browser and photo library and more!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I don't know how anyone can actually like a Ram mount. It is in the running for worst $150 I have ever spent, I'd have gotten more from a trip to Vegas.

Be forewarned: RAM can claim all they want all day long that their Discovery kit is a custom fit kit designed for the vehicle, but that is complete BS. It is in fact a universal kit that does not fit, at all, and does not contain any parts useful for actually mounting the platform.

Kilroy

Adventurer
To clarify. The specific mounts for your vehicle don't work very well? Because they don't fit? How about the Ram mount iPad holder, is it also unsatisfactory?

I don't know how anyone can actually like a Ram mount. It is in the running for worst $150 I have ever spent, I'd have gotten more from a trip to Vegas.

Be forewarned: RAM can claim all they want all day long that their Discovery kit is a custom fit kit designed for the vehicle, but that is complete BS. It is in fact a universal kit that does not fit, at all, and does not contain any parts useful for actually mounting the platform.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Correct - the mounts RAM sells as their "Discovery 2" package do not actually fit a Discovery 2. I don't mean they fit poorly, I mean there is literally no way to make it work with what they send you without fabricating several of your own pieces and hacking bits of the interior trim apart. It also happens to be identical to their 3-arm flexible universal mount, and I doubt that is a coincidence. In fairness, I didn't expect RAM to make one for such an obscure vehicle in the first place... but they shouldn't claim that they do when, in fact, they do not.

Their netbook "cradle" is ridiculously huge, totally unstable, and rattles like crazy at the slightest hint of a bump.

Their "kits" do not include all the hardware, and many of the components need to be re-drilled to work properly because they do not have consistent holes (poor quality control).

I have not used the actual piece that holds the iPad, the rest of the kit is made up of the same components though which IMO are sub-standard. The iPad cradle itself looks pretty good and might be worth getting if you are going to fabricate your own mounting solution. Then again, it is hard to imagine them having good QC on this item considering the mess they've made of their other products. I can only assume they are in business because, for much of their product line, "no one else makes it".

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have not used the actual piece that holds the iPad, the rest of the kit is made up of the same components though which IMO are sub-standard. The iPad cradle itself looks pretty good and might be worth getting if you are going to fabricate your own mounting solution. Then again, it is hard to imagine them having good QC on this item considering the mess they've made of their other products. I can only assume they are in business because, for much of their product line, "no one else makes it".

I have their iPad 'locking cradle' and their 3" arm w/ a 1" ball at each end that I'll be bolting to my Netbook platform. Haven't gotten around to it yet so I can't say how well it will work. My biggest concern is how the weight will affect the platform.
2449143270104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I have their iPad 'locking cradle' and their 3" arm w/ a 1" ball at each end that I'll be bolting to my Netbook platform. Haven't gotten around to it yet so I can't say how well it will work. My biggest concern is how the weight will affect the platform.

My netbook weighs in under 3 pounds (about 2.7) and it still wobbles quite a bit. An iPad is less than half that weight, so it may well fair better.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My netbook weighs in under 3 pounds (about 2.7) and it still wobbles quite a bit. An iPad is less than half that weight, so it may well fair better.

It's the cantilever/fulcrum I'm most worried about. Instead of being right at the seam where the platform bends, the mass of the ipad will be 6-8" away or so which will add considerable force towards bending the platform especially off road.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Chazz,

Sorry for the confussion. I'm worried that the laptop platform where I'll be mounting the ipad mount will bend. If you check my picture you can see the black platform is a fairly thin material (aluminum plate ~1/16" thick). It does bounce off road with a netbook on it. With the ipad setup, I expect it to bounce even more.

I'll probably replace that platform with a thicker piece of aluminum.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Ah, gotcha. Yep, I could see that causing trouble. With the weights so low, it might be sufficient to run some small angle aluminum down the sides. Not enough to stand out or block ports/vents, but just enough to give it a lip. It's amazing how much strength can come from a fold... :D

Kilroy

Adventurer
What are using for car charger? Does it keep iPad charged?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC