Is a stock Sport ok for Overlanding??

wigwam155

I have a 2016 Sport Unlimited 4 door. The only mod to it is the rims and tires. Now before anyone answers, I have NO desire to rock crawl or do any serious "mudding" I simply want to overland the back roads and back country trails. Will my Sport ok? I plan on adding recovery gear (winch, snatch straps etc...). Just want some input from some experienced Overlanders. Thanks in advance. This is my Jeep. I named him, Hyde.

71869530a08abcd1029e03d71fdb841f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SheepnJeep

A Jeep unlimited is the perfect vehicle for overland trips. So is a Honda cub, as well as a British taxicab. All you really need are some good maps and the imagination to think of how awesome those squiggles and lines are going to look in real life! Get a winch in case you get stuck in the snow and better yet learn how to use it to help pull out other vehicles. Then spend the rest of your money on gas and tune-ups.

dusmw

Stock Wrangler VERY Capable!

I have several Wranglers including Rubicon's and Sahara and the Sport is also very capable. When you get stupid it doesn't matter what you drive you can bury it! Use common sense and the JK, JKU, TJ, YJ, LJ, and CJ can all do amazing trails and off road challenges. Get good tires, use inflation as your friend, and travel with another vehicle! Enjoy your Jeep!

Weeds

Adventurer
Most Rubicons are soccer mom jeeps. I bought the Rubicon when people thought Jeep was going out of business and got a good deal. I am not sure many people need the 4:1 transfer case.

I say go for it!!

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
The Jeep brand has world renowned off road capabilities. A box stock fresh out of the factory can conquer the Rubicon trail. its one of the biggest selling points. Sure, modifications will make it easier, more capable, and give more piece of mind. But if it can do the Rubicon stock, how much more can you ask for? The Jeep will laugh at backroads, but hey, it's not the one driving! I always feel super cool cruising gravel until the inevitable Honda Accord shows up.....

I have a TJ Sport, and it did a 9 rated trail bone stock on street tires. You have one of the most capable vehicles on the planet, and as your experience driving off road increases it will constantly amaze you with what it can do. Carry recovery gear if it hits the fan, but if you're like me the Jeep will constantly do way more than you can. Enjoy the adventures!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Totally...Mine never stayed stock for long....like 3 days.....then it started. I made mods based on my needs. Get out in the stock rig, and see what you need to change. I was gun-ho to get new bumpers and a winch etc...but after 5 years, I never needed either. So, why put the extra weight, and expense on there.

(none)

Adventurer
perfect place to start. Take it where you want to go. Does it do well? Awesome, you're all set. I'm sure you'll find a few things that need improving along the way, upgrade those and keep going. No need to start out with something extravagant.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Your good to go, far too many people waste huge amounts of money on instant upgrades without actually going anywhere.

Personally I've come full circle from being lifted with aftermarket bumpers front and back, auxiliary lights ( which I used once in 6 years ) and a slew of other things. As my jeep sits right now I gone back to no lift, 32's, stock bumpers & no extra lights and I love it!!

Good luck & get out there.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Mine sits on 2" of lift, with lots of upgrades under it that no one sees. I run 33's and 2 sets of lights...a set of hella driving and a set of hella fog lights. Essential up here for night time driving. I love how my rig works now...and im not changing anything...just the fluids.

daveh

Adventurer
As others have stated you shouldn't need to add anything but a good set of all terrain tires. Those along with the winch you are already planning and you should be able to overland just about anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A Jeep unlimited is the perfect vehicle for overland trips. So is a Honda cub, as well as a British taxicab. All you really need are some good maps and the imagination to think of how awesome those squiggles and lines are going to look in real life! Get a winch in case you get stuck in the snow and better yet learn how to use it to help pull out other vehicles. Then spend the rest of your money on gas and tune-ups.

Absolutely. Go explore!

perfect place to start. Take it where you want to go. Does it do well? Awesome, you're all set. I'm sure you'll find a few things that need improving along the way, upgrade those and keep going. No need to start out with something extravagant.

Your good to go, far too many people waste huge amounts of money on instant upgrades without actually going anywhere.

Personally I've come full circle from being lifted with aftermarket bumpers front and back, auxiliary lights ( which I used once in 6 years ) and a slew of other things. As my jeep sits right now I gone back to no lift, 32's, stock bumpers & no extra lights and I love it!!

Good luck & get out there.

Man, these (imo) are awesome answers!
"Overlanding" as I understand it, doesn't necessarily mean off road. It just means "over land travel to explore".

Hope your "overlanding" experience is awesome! :beer:

Septu

Explorer
All depends on where you plan on going. If you think you won't get stuck, then have at it! 95% of us on this site (myself included) have spent a lot more time and money on modifications then what is really needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3