Is a stock Sport ok for Overlanding??

wagex

Adventurer
ive taken my awd dodge journey on some pretty rough trails, anything is an overlander if you are brave enough.

wigwam155

Wow thanks for all of the replies. I feel pretty confident with my vehicle. I do plan on adding a winch. At some point I want to put a Rhino Rack on and roof top tent. Eventually will put an ARB fridge in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wigwam155

The Jeep brand has world renowned off road capabilities. A box stock fresh out of the factory can conquer the Rubicon trail. its one of the biggest selling points. Sure, modifications will make it easier, more capable, and give more piece of mind. But if it can do the Rubicon stock, how much more can you ask for? The Jeep will laugh at backroads, but hey, it's not the one driving! I always feel super cool cruising gravel until the inevitable Honda Accord shows up.....

I have a TJ Sport, and it did a 9 rated trail bone stock on street tires. You have one of the most capable vehicles on the planet, and as your experience driving off road increases it will constantly amaze you with what it can do. Carry recovery gear if it hits the fan, but if you're like me the Jeep will constantly do way more than you can. Enjoy the adventures!

Haha I love the Honda Accord comment. That's funny. Thanks for the confidence booster.

Septu

Explorer
Wow thanks for all of the replies. I feel pretty confident with my vehicle. I do plan on adding a winch. At some point I want to put a Rhino Rack on and roof top tent. Eventually will put an ARB fridge in as well.

Personally, I'd add the fridge before the tent. I've used my little Waeco 25L fridge for 6 years and it's been one of the best investments I've made. It died here the other day (was quickly fixed) and I had to camp with a cooler again for a long weekend. Forgot how much that sucked. I've been running it for the last 4 years on the stock battery my 2012 JKU came with and have yet to have an issue.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
My vote would be for a fridge too

Personally, I'd add the fridge before the tent. I've used my little Waeco 25L fridge for 6 years and it's been one of the best investments I've made. It died here the other day (was quickly fixed) and I had to camp with a cooler again for a long weekend. Forgot how much that sucked. I've been running it for the last 4 years on the stock battery my 2012 JKU came with and have yet to have an issue.

I really like having a fridge as well. :)

I went totally overboard with a 65qt dual zone model. But before that, used one of the inexpensive cooler/heater units that did just fine for 8 days of Moab/Mojave desert. It's still a great little cooler to throw in a vehicle for a day at the beach/lake. Keeps things relatively cool, but not like an ice chest or real fridge.

Here is a shot of it sitting in the perfect spot to reach in for a soda / sandwich along the drive.

Attachments

• cooler_w-plugs.jpg
    cooler_w-plugs.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 30

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If your not rock crawling, the sport is the better choice actually. You don't need the lower gearing swaybar discos and other things the rubi gives you. Add in some true tracs instead of selectable lockers if need be.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The Jeep brand has world renowned off road capabilities. A box stock fresh out of the factory can conquer the Rubicon trail. its one of the biggest selling points. Sure, modifications will make it easier, more capable, and give more piece of mind. But if it can do the Rubicon stock, how much more can you ask for? The Jeep will laugh at backroads, but hey, it's not the one driving! I always feel super cool cruising gravel until the inevitable Honda Accord shows up.....

I have a TJ Sport, and it did a 9 rated trail bone stock on street tires. You have one of the most capable vehicles on the planet, and as your experience driving off road increases it will constantly amaze you with what it can do. Carry recovery gear if it hits the fan, but if you're like me the Jeep will constantly do way more than you can. Enjoy the adventures!

No, you cannot do the Rubicon with a bone stock Jeep. Not unless you don't mind significant body damage and and being towed and strapped up hills and over obstacles. I ran it last week in a 2013 JKU Sport rolling on 33"s, skid plates, rock sliders, and with ARB Air Lockers and I'd put my Jeep on the bare minimum of required equipment. As it is, I did not come through unscathed. Both slider/steps are bent and mangled a lower control arm. A "bone stock Jeep" would have fared significantly worse.

wigwam155

I definitely will ad the fridge first. I know which I'll go with as well. I still want the roof rack. Can't decide between Gobi or Rhino Rack though.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I definitely will ad the fridge first. I know which I'll go with as well. I still want the roof rack. Can't decide between Gobi or Rhino Rack though.

Keep in mind the dimensions of your cargo area. We installed the JKU Seat recline blocks, which shifted the top of the seat back about 1 1/4". The sliding drawer raises the fridge, so your depth is a critical dimension. We can fit a 42 liter Whynter just fine, any larger (longer) could be problematic.

wigwam155

Keep in mind the dimensions of your cargo area. We installed the JKU Seat recline blocks, which shifted the top of the seat back about 1 1/4". The sliding drawer raises the fridge, so your depth is a critical dimension. We can fit a 42 liter Whynter just fine, any larger (longer) could be problematic.

I was thinking about the ARB 50Q

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice fridge choice! :victory:
I think people need to talk ARB into making that fridge with an optional freezer section. Nothing like Ice cream/Popsicles when on the trail in the summer. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3