Is it worth building a Kj?

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Skids:

OEM transfer case, engine, transmission and gas are options (i have them)
Kilby gas Skid (super beefy)
Skid Row (i think they still make skids for KJ??)

Bumpers:

Rocklizard Komodo Rear bumper (very cool looking and different builds of it to suit your needs)
Rocklizard Front (still in production if you want to hold off waiting for one)
ARB (Front only at this point)
TJM (If you can find it they did build a full size front bumper that was sent to the US last year, supposedly stopped though; I think they also have a bull bar available too)
I was thinking of the Komodo rear bumper and a ARB bumper up front. I like the Kilby skids as well.:smiley_drive:

Taz

Adventurer
Modify what you have.

Rusty's bought out the remaining Jeep stock of TJM bull bars. I like the looks of the KJ version. Isn't too bad of a price either.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...ys&Product_Code=074SO17N36Q&Category_Code=TJM

Finally a realistic price on a KJ bumper!

I hope people didn't take my post wrong as I do like my Liberty, I just think people need to know the down falls they have and what tends to break on them. Mine has served me well especially with camping trips and exploring. Beats getting in the TJ for a 4,000 mile trip by far. Gets better gas milage and is far more comfortable. It does fine for most offroad situations.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Back in 2003, I had the pleasure to work at Camp Jeep as a volunteer Off Road Instructor. The first day, before Camp Jeep opening its doors, we were asked to test the track, to try to get the vehicles stuck to make sure the track is "safe" ;) for the general public. Believe me: Being an opponent of IFS, I tried really hard to get a Libby stuck. The only Libbies we managed to get stuck were the Renegades with the low hanging running boards which we managed to get high centered. Once the blingy boards were removed, no luck anymore in getting them stuck. IMHO, the Libby has very good ergonomics, excellent visibility and merits to carry a Jeep badge.

Worth building? Absolutely!!!

Now my .02 cents:
- Don't go too big with the tires; anything over 31" will seriously stress your axles
- Keep it functional: Before weighing your Libby down with accessories, ask yourself how useful they are. Especially on an "expedition rig", you need your payload for supplies and gears, not wannabe off-road bling.
- 80% is the driver, not just in off-roading abilities, but also in not breaking your vehicle. Know its week spots, don't wheel the ******** out of it like a yahoo, do all the preventive maintenance stuff and the Libby will serve you well in many adventures over many years.
-

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Going to try and not put to much off road bling. Planning on Sliders and skids, front bumper wit a winch. and the lift. Thank you for the advice about the 31s. I wish that it had more room in the back as I can't put the rear seats down because I have 4 yr old twins.:smiley_drive:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I've been wrestling with this concept myself.

KJ's are not ideal rock crawlers, and if you are planning on running many short rocky trails then get a Wrangler Rubicon;) It sounds like your plans are not rock crawling, so you should be fine.

The weak link is the ifs front end components, but the same arguement has been beaten to death on Toyota forums for the last 15 years.

Some Pros:

The 3.7L V6 is very solid
The unibody is improved over the XJ
transfer cases are fine - I have the select trac, which is great
rear 8.25 axle is fine
It's nimble on the trail
Good driver visability
Comfortable driving position

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I have no desire to do rockcrawling with it. It is a sturdy vehicle. Don't know why people say its not a real Jeep.:smiley_drive:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I've certainly poked fun at my own Liberty. Seriously, this thing REALLY needs a lift and some 31 or 32" tires to be useful. I could crawl under my Land Cruiser and work on it without jack stands or ramps. The Liberty has less room under it even when it's on the ramps!

I've been thinking about buying my mom's 4runner. There are things I like about Toyotas and the 4runner more than the Liberty, but the Liberty is more comfortable and has more power.

I really like the 45RFE (heavy duty) transmission on my 02 Liberty. Great tranny, really shifts well.

After hitting every rock in the desert, I think I'm about to get the Frankenlift and some bigger tires for the Liberty.

tommudd

Explorer
Interesting read through, I started one way with mine now going a different direction, more Expedition style now for sure. Of course I already have the OME Heavy Duty lift sitting close to what a JBA 4 inch lift is, plenty ( well not to some but for me ) of ground clearance, Kilby and Mopar skids. Rock Lizards Geko rack added a lot to it, next some lights on the rack and fridge in the rear and then building a trailer to pull behind with all the camping supplies, RTT etc I need to go exploring and what 4 wheeling I really get to do anymore.
Tom

Just wish I could have it all done and take it to Tanzania with me this summer:):):):):)

ernestgj

For background, I had an '01 XJ with an OME lift for awhile and now have an '05 Liberty CRD stock with A/T tires.

As an everyday driver, the KJ is much much better. The IFS may not be the best for rockcrawling, but it's an order of magnitude better when it comes to going around a corner, potholes, gravel roads, etc. And be honest with yourself, how much time will you really spend offroad?

Gas mileage improvement was night and day, does about 26-28 mpg at 70 mph. There isn't all that much storage space and I think it would be ideal for 2-3 people, but cramped for 4 people with a trip of any considerable length.

As far as mods, I think a couple inches of lift, skid plates, and lockers will get your everywhere you want to go. If you want a winch, get a front and rear hitch and leave the winch in the trunk until you need it. No point in leaving it outside exposed to the weather and thieves.

Just my 2 cents...

Greg

The thing is, if you're going to use a KJ for expedition travel, it seems a crime not to have the diesel version, no?

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
In an international setting I'd say yes, it would be preferred. For around the US, I don't see a benefit vs. the 3.7 gasser.

Zeero

Adventurer
The benefit would be cargo increase capability and fuel mileage, and cleaner burning = more environmentally friendly, plus over all get up and go, easier to work on to.

Diesel motors are far superior in any application, abroad or locally.

If the JK had the diesel option here, I would have had it in a split second.

Europeans are far more advanced and forward thinking than North Americans when it comes to automotive things and thats why they have those options over there.

Almost every small car has a diesel in it, and they move, really quick little cars, most with a 900 km tank on them.....

Sorry, but in my opinion, the diesel wins EVERY time.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I would have liked the diesel as well and wished it had been a option. That may be something to consider in its build.:ylsmoke:

tommudd

Explorer
I will stick with my gasser,Liberty Diesel's had too many little problems, not that much better in my book as well. My gasser has almost 120,000 on it, not one problem, gets 20 plus on the highway ( and I am lifted, with larger tires,) , pulls my 6 X10 enclosed trailer loaded and never complains. For the extra cost of diesel fuel in the US not really worth it.
and that comes from someone who has owned a few Petes with Cats in them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater