Is there any expedition willys out there?

unkamonkey

Explorer
My first vehicle was a MB The engine had been rebuilt twice before we got it and we rebuilt it again. With all of the machine work being done on it over the years it ended up with a bit higher compression ratio so it actually had decent power, but we couldn't fix the rear main seal to hold in the oil. We still drove it 100's of miles around the state. It ended up with a V6, T90, newer d18, OD, and a D41 rear axle. I wish I still had it.
The oldest Willys I have now is a '61 3B. V6, OD, PTO winch, Powerlock in the rear, 11' brakes. etc.. I still can drive it for 100's of miles.
If the MB is still origional I vote to keep it that way, It's worth more stock than modified.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
If I do decide to sell it, I would want to buy another willys. What is the best model to look for? Basically I'm looking for the Rubicon of the willys world.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
If I do decide to sell it, I would want to buy another willys. What is the best model to look for? Basically I'm looking for the Rubicon of the willys world.

In the flat fenders it would be the CJ3a. The 3a has more leg room because you can move the seat back further, the windshield is a tad taller for more head room and the wipers are mounted on the bottom of the windshield which is a big improvement in snow country. From mid 1950 on the 3a had a Dana 44 rear axle. The 3b is great as well, but the wipers are above the windshield and the snow tends to pile up pretty quickly and overwhelm the wipers.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Both of my 3B's have the wipers mounted under the windshield. A lot of people that are into flat fenders like the 3B due to the extra room under the hood if you are doing an engine conversion, also gives some room to fit extra things in. If you can, check out "Duffers" CJ3B on either the CJ2A site or Early CJ5. Net. Sweet build.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Both of my 3B's have the wipers mounted under the windshield. A lot of people that are into flat fenders like the 3B due to the extra room under the hood if you are doing an engine conversion, also gives some room to fit extra things in. If you can, check out "Duffers" CJ3B on either the CJ2A site or Early CJ5. Net. Sweet build.

You're absolutely right! it's been a few years since I've been around any early CJ's. Some of the 3b's do have low mount wipers. I think a 3b would be an excellent build candidate as well. Thanks for the correction.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
With the stock wheels on it what kind of tires can i put on those Rims? I want like a 31 inch tire, i know the stock tires had inner tubes in them but can i tun tubeless new tires on them?

Tennmogger

Explorer
Rubicon4URE, did you pull a switch-er-roo on us? The Jeep in your first picture and this last picture "bought me a flat fender" aren't the same. Hope that is the case because an unmolested MB Willys as you described in the early post would be shamed by being 'upgraded', when lots of people would love to restore it to its original condition.

This last picture looks like a commercial Jeep (CJ-3a?) but there's one inconsistency, the windshield. Note the rectangular frame arms on the windshield, and what looks like a removable center window in the middle. That looks "M-38-ish" to me.

As for big tires, please keep in mind that these Jeeps used a two part axle with a tapered axle end and matching tapered flange, locked together by a Woodruff key and big nut. The required torque to turn a big tire will stress that system. I know, I have a '52 M-38, owned since '67, and went through the learning process. It has had tall skinny tires like original for 40 years now, and has stayed together.

Glad you aren't modifying the MB. Go crazy on this one!! Welcome to the flat fender club!

Bob

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
In the flat fenders it would be the CJ3a. The 3a has more leg room because you can move the seat back further, the windshield is a tad taller for more head room and the wipers are mounted on the bottom of the windshield which is a big improvement in snow country. From mid 1950 on the 3a had a Dana 44 rear axle. The 3b is great as well, but the wipers are above the windshield and the snow tends to pile up pretty quickly and overwhelm the wipers.

I'd go one step further and say the last of the M38's ( the military version of the cj3a). They had a D44 rear axle with front and rear power-lok options. If only they would have had a factory granny 4spd and overdrive....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333