ISO Mitsubishi Fuso 4x4- USA

Looking to build a long-term livable vehicle for North and South American travel. Ideally looking for a well-sorted truck with any sort of habitation box on the back. We'd happily re-do the interior, so don't need a fancy conversion, also interested in what is out there! I know these trucks are rare, so wondering if anyone has an inside word on the right rig. Thanks!

Tayski

Thanks Tayski. Love the platform- wondering if you've had any issues with the frame of the camper welded to to the frame of the truck. From what I've read, the twisting of the frame when going off road can lead to issues.

This is mine. Let me know if you have any questions

I've gotten a few great replies to this post, and it's been super interesting seeing all the builds! I'll add a few more details here as I've narrowed my search:
  1. I need something that is capable of using either high sulfur diesel or regular gasoline so that I can run it safely in South America.
  2. I either want a vehicle with no box, or if it has a box, I want it to have a torsion free subframe so that when I take it off road, I don't twist the box to pieces.
  3. I am 6'4" and would like to be able to mostly stand up inside.
  4. My max budget is $120K usd. Obviously less for just the chassis. Need to stay on budget for our adventure to Alaska and South America
  5. I'm also interested in other vehicles of similar size. I think an LMTV is just a bit too big/complicated/expensive to maintain, But anything slightly smaller than that is great.
    1. The ability to carry a habitation box, 4x4, 10 MPG(diesel), and 60 MPH cruising speed are what I am shooting for.
    2. Simple is better.
Thanks!

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Dgreen13 - Take look at my post on the for sale by members:

It checks a lot of you boxes:

1. It's pre DEF so it will burn high sulfur fuel
2. it has torsion free subframe. I've posted a link to my build thread so you can see how it works
3. You can stand inside the Hallmark Camper it's 79" floor to ceiling with the top up. You can also sleep in the bed. Its 80" long.
4. I am asking $120,000 for it so it is in your budget.
5. Fuso is simple and uncomplicated. It has been maintaind by Portland Mitsubishi Fuso while we have had it. We replaced the usual things that break on this vintage of Fuso's- Transmission, clutch and transfer case replaced with factory new unit. Alternator replaced and ERG replaced. It has fresh oil change and coolant flush and replaced. It comes with belt and hoses so you have them on board just in case.

We have taken it to Alaska and it did great. The ATW suspension and upgraded seats make a huge difference on long trips. It's very capable off road. We did some stream crossings to exit Wrangell-St Elias NP when a suprise storm washed out the road. We got out and they closed the road behind us and the Rangers said it probably wouldn't be open again for a month or so.

It's ready for another adventure! PM me if interested.

Buckstopper

DSC_0982.JPG

Thanks Buckstoppper. I have checked out your rig, and it is killer! The one issue is the pop-up: we really want a full height hard sided camper. We've had a 4WC in the past, and the constant rearranging, plus the concern of the thing crushing you or getting destroyed in high winds made us switch to a van.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Thanks Buckstoppper. I have checked out your rig, and it is killer! The one issue is the pop-up: we really want a full height hard sided camper. We've had a 4WC in the past, and the constant rearranging, plus the concern of the thing crushing you or getting destroyed in high winds made us switch to a van.
Hallmark uses a tortion bar lift system that is rock solid. I have never heard on one collapsing or getting blown off and really can’t imagine it happening. We’ve camped with a big tandem kayak on the roof and it handled the weight of that with ease. The real advantage of the pop up in wind is when driving it’s less of a sail.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Look on Hallmark's website for more info on the lift system and their construction in general. Its a lot different then 4WC. I've walked on the roof with it up with no problems.

Here's a video of the roof with a 4 wheeler on top. it goes up a lot faster without the 4 wheeler.
http://www.hallmarkrv.com/videos/

They have a few different options for lifts. We have the one that has a push button to make it go up or down. We have had that system on both the Hallmark campers we have owned and have had zero problems with it. And there is no re-arranging things to travel. We store our sleeping bag on the bed and it stays there when the top is down. We do keep our pillows under the bed so we pull those out and climb into bed after we have to top up with takes a minute or two. I usually am outside the camper to unlatch or re-latch the latches at each corner while my wife is inside the camper to toggle the switch up or down. We also use the roof fan in exhaust mode to suck the sides in when we lower the roof. It's really easy.

Buckstopper

Thanks Buckstopper. Sounds like a better day-to-day experience than a 4WC. I spent many sleepless nights in the 4WC in high winds, swearing to never do a pop-up again. How about heat? We consistently camp in below 0 Fahrenheit, and the propane heater in our 4WC (with Artic pack) was never able to keep up. The canvas + Insulation never felt like enough, and the ceiling and walls were consistently wet in areas that conducted the cold from outside.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Wow - that is hardcore camping!

We have slept in it below freezing in the teens and 20's in Oregon but not below zero F. The propane heater has kept up just fine in those conditions. We had this made with Hallmark's cold weather package. The fabric on the soft wall portion has extra insulation and a mylar layer as an upgrade and that includes the velco'd flaps that cover the soft "windows". The hard windows have snap on insulated covers as well as curtains so they are pretty well insulated. I have also cut an insulated foam insert that pops into the vent over the bed because there was condensation forming inside the lid and dripping on the bed. The insert solved that problem and will be included with the camper. The camper also sits on a layer of foam between the floor and the aluminum flatbed so there is at least a thermal break and a bit of insulation in the floor as well.

Hallmarks are built in Colorado so you are likely not the first to have this concern. You might give them a call and ask them about sub-zero camping. Tell them you are looking at the flatbed model on the Fuso and they will know which one it is. They have a picture of it from the day it was installed on their website.

The Fuso does have a block heater so it can be plugged in if parked in cold weather.

Yeah, the things we do for powder:) This year we did a week in -20 F in Idaho, that even our well insulated sprinter with an overpowered Diesel heater had trouble keeping up with. Thanks for all the info. I may just give them a call.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Yeah, the things we do for powder:) This year we did a week in -20 F in Idaho, that even our well insulated sprinter with an overpowered Diesel heater had trouble keeping up with. Thanks for all the info. I may just give them a call.
I get it. One thing you would want to do on the Hallmark Camper is add a heater and probably some insulation to the battery box to keep the Li batteries above freezing. It's an easy thing to do with an RV waste water tank heating pad. I will be doing the same to our van.

@gator70 Thanks, The Earthcruiser Core trucks do look amazing. Shortly after this conversation, we pulled the trigger on a 2007 Fuso FG140, and built a box on it with Allan at Overlander Global. We finished the box in August, and moved into it full time on Sept 1. Been a great platform so far!

Attachments

• IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3