Istalling Synthetic Winch Line

fishEH

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I will be using the heat gaurd because I don't see any reason NOT to. I'll have to remove the wire cable and get a good look at the drum before I decide on a method.

oz97tj

Observer
Thanks for the replies. I will be using the heat gaurd because I don't see any reason NOT to. I'll have to remove the wire cable and get a good look at the drum before I decide on a method.

Another thing to consider, when you get the rope off, be sure there are no burrs or anything on it from the cable. It's not a bad idea to take some sand paper and rub the drum down to be sure. Also will need a hawse fairlead or new poly rollers for your existing fairlead.

Regarding the heat shield, short of lowering yourself off a waterfall or something with powering out the winch, you will not generate much heat. As Masterpull stated, improper use will cause heat. If you only spool in under power and pull the rope out manually, you'll not have issues. An abrasion guard is much more useful with rope.

opie

Explorer

Excellent! I wasn't trying to imply you, or anyone, shouldn't use it. Just that it isn't necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven