Isuzu diesel Disco

MarkIIa

Observer
The LT85 isn't as strong as the 4 speed LT95, the LT95 has a lower low range than the lowest stock LT230 as well, absolutely fantastic with this engine in my 110. The later R380's are meant to handle this engine okay from what I have heard. The 4BD1 was fitted to Australian 110s during the 1980s from factory and is something of a holy grail for reliable Landies, so there is a fair bit of technical knowledge around on this combination. The engine is renowned for breaking gearboxes... You can get the LT95 bellhousing from Aus, and the LT85 bellhousing suits the R380 as well.
Last week I did a 3000km trip in mine (which is naturally aspirated), I can cruise on the freeway at 100km/h all day, have hit 120km/h but my mechanical sympathy and speed limit of 110 made me slow down. Hills kill it though, the turbo would kill the hills :) Sorry I don't know MPH conversions.

A 4BD1T in a Disco 2 would have be be the best compromise between luxury and off-road performance!

Bugspray

Adventurer
Interesting...I really think I need another gear or an overdrive with this engine. At 65mph its right at 2500 rpms and it redlines at 3500 so I'm already pushing it. R380 might be a candidate(5 speed?)...how much is 380nm in ft lbs? where would I source one of these bellhousings to mate the 4bd?

So far so good however with the drivetrain, tranny and t-case fine. The engine is essentially a stone axe, runs perfect. The rest of the vehicle not so much...the lovely "3 amigos" turned out to require total replacement of BOTH rear wheel hubs and sensor AND brake pads. I guess this is expected around 100,000 miles? The AC compressor is history too but thats another story for another day...

BTW having an ace Land Rover expert nearby is priceless...Jake at Rovers in the Hole is awesome!! had me in and out in 36 hours, only charged me his cost for the parts and the bill was actually very reasonable all considered. If you are ever in the area and in need of Land Rover assistance hes your man. Plus he has "the big" computer...

jrose609

Explorer
Interesting...I really think I need another gear or an overdrive with this engine. At 65mph its right at 2500 rpms and it redlines at 3500 so I'm already pushing it. R380 might be a candidate(5 speed?)...how much is 380nm in ft lbs? where would I source one of these bellhousings to mate the 4bd?

So far so good however with the drivetrain, tranny and t-case fine. The engine is essentially a stone axe, runs perfect. The rest of the vehicle not so much...the lovely "3 amigos" turned out to require total replacement of BOTH rear wheel hubs and sensor AND brake pads. I guess this is expected around 100,000 miles? The AC compressor is history too but thats another story for another day...

BTW having an ace Land Rover expert nearby is priceless...Jake at Rovers in the Hole is awesome!! had me in and out in 36 hours, only charged me his cost for the parts and the bill was actually very reasonable all considered. If you are ever in the area and in need of Land Rover assistance hes your man. Plus he has "the big" computer...

Where is Rovers in the Hole? I get over there a few times a year to see my wife's family. Would be good to have a resource there.

Bugspray

Adventurer
Might help if i gave the address----
Jake Krug
Rovers in the Hole
555 Deer Dr. #104
Jackson WY 83001
nine oh four-eight eight seven-fifteen fortyseven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member