Isuzu NQR/Fuso FE vs. Ford F-550/Ram 5500 as a platform

ReluctantTraveler

Building my dream rig is currently pending saving up enough money to buy a truck to use as my base platform. To speed that up, I've started looking for used vehicles in the $20k or less category.

I'd been planning to build a cabover on an F-550/5500 platform, but I'm seeing a fair number of crew cab Isuzu's and Fuso's for sale near me that I could build a box habitat on. That said, I know nothing about them compared to Ford/Ram trucks.

Are there any pitfalls or gotchas I should be aware of? Are they worth considering?

I don't plan on doing any real offroading. I'm looking for something I can drive down dirt roads and service roads, take off grid, and use in the winter sometimes for snowboarding/mountain trips. I'd planned to install a Kelderman air suspension for leveling, but realize that might not be possible in an Isuzu/Fuso.

I suspect that...
  • Isuzu's and Fuso's have more frame flex than F-550's/5500's do
  • They ride a bit rougher than a well-loaded F-550/5500 will

Is that right, and what else should I be thinking about?

dtruzinski

4 Season Traveller
I have built and owned on both platforms (2 Fuso FG140's and one Ram 5500). If freeway driving, comfort, and safety are in your top goals, then the answer (IMHO) is Ford/Ram.

The Fuso's are seriously underpowered for US freeway speeds of 70-80, have factory suspension that is akin to riding bareback on a wild horse, and the cabover design makes you first on the accident scene. There are very few suppliers for aftermarket parts for the Fuso's (In my opinion, the best is Earth Cruiser in Bend OR) When it comes to off-roading with your habitat, a properly built Fuso wins hands down. Their turning radius is like that of a jeep. Frame flex keeps the wheels in contact with the ground and that underpowered diesel performs exceptionally well. You can get some fairly impressive MGPs out of these as well (e.g. 14-17). Look for 2005-2007's as they had a slightly larger engine and no DEF or ULSD requirement if you are going to travel internationally. There is enough room in the cab for 2 adults and a pet.

I bought a 2012 Ram 5500 crew cab, put Rickson 20" wheels and MTP81 on it (build thread is out here somewhere). Awesome truck, plenty of power, and an exhaust brake that allowed me to descend the Bearthooth Highway without touching the brakes. Off-road I was lifting wheels regularly, but I could grunt through on three with those massive tires. It was a joy to drive down the freeway and extra room in the cab allowed for more passengers and gear. My biggest complaint would be the turning radius; these are very long wheelbase platforms when compared to the Fuso. It is not great from the factory and adding the large wheels pushed the front tires out further impacting the turning radius.

I am building a 2003 ambulance right now and I think this may be the magical combo! It is currently at U-Joint getting its 4x4 upgrade. You can find these relatively cheap compared to other options and they come with a habitat. You just have to gut it and that will take 3 days. In the end, you will have a custom box made of aluminum that is well constructed and ready for you to design an interior layout. Build thread below

ReluctantTraveler

I have built and owned on both platforms (2 Fuso FG140's and one Ram 5500). If freeway driving, comfort, and safety are in your top goals, then the answer (IMHO) is Ford/Ram.

The Fuso's are seriously underpowered for US freeway speeds of 70-80, have factory suspension that is akin to riding bareback on a wild horse, and the cabover design makes you first on the accident scene. There are very few suppliers for aftermarket parts for the Fuso's (In my opinion, the best is Earth Cruiser in Bend OR) When it comes to off-roading with your habitat, a properly built Fuso wins hands down. Their turning radius is like that of a jeep. Frame flex keeps the wheels in contact with the ground and that underpowered diesel performs exceptionally well. You can get some fairly impressive MGPs out of these as well (e.g. 14-17). Look for 2005-2007's as they had a slightly larger engine and no DEF or ULSD requirement if you are going to travel internationally. There is enough room in the cab for 2 adults and a pet.

I bought a 2012 Ram 5500 crew cab, put Rickson 20" wheels and MTP81 on it (build thread is out here somewhere). Awesome truck, plenty of power, and an exhaust brake that allowed me to descend the Bearthooth Highway without touching the brakes. Off-road I was lifting wheels regularly, but I could grunt through on three with those massive tires. It was a joy to drive down the freeway and extra room in the cab allowed for more passengers and gear. My biggest complaint would be the turning radius; these are very long wheelbase platforms when compared to the Fuso. It is not great from the factory and adding the large wheels pushed the front tires out further impacting the turning radius.

I am building a 2003 ambulance right now and I think this may be the magical combo! It is currently at U-Joint getting its 4x4 upgrade. You can find these relatively cheap compared to other options and they come with a habitat. You just have to gut it and that will take 3 days. In the end, you will have a custom box made of aluminum that is well constructed and ready for you to design an interior layout. Build thread below

This is perfect, thanks!

I'm building for a family, so I'd be going crew cab either way. Based on what you said, the F-550/5500 platform is the right fit for us.

I'd looked into ambulance bodies, but almost all of them are regular cabs, and won't have the space we need for all of us (plus a dog). Your build looks awesome, though!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We have owned an F350 4WD with camper body for 12 years and now the OKA for 18 years.
The Ford drank fuel, had lots of power but the proportion of total vehicle length to living space was horrid by comparison to the forward control.
Cruising at over 100kph is of no interest. The vehicle needs to go ANYWHERE. Off road capability is vital, but fast is not important.
Why dual cab? That is a total waste of useful space. Our OKA has seatbelts in 2 of the seats in the camper section.
How much water you carry determines how long you stay in the bush and how often you get a hot shower.

EDIT> The visibility out of a forward control vehicle is like chalk and cheese compared with having that aircraft carrier bonnet sticking out the front that blanks out everything as soon as the nose goes up a tad. Might be fine on the highway, but not in the bush.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater