Isuzu Rodeo platform narrative

cronk

Observer
Whats up:victory:

I've been lurking here for a while,finally joined since I have my Trooper now...our other Isuzus don't fit

Nice, can't wait to see the buildup. You should show Silvia and the Turtle off, lots of good work has gone into both of those rigs! The Turtle is one of the rigs I got a lot of my inspiration from.

bugnout said:
Very Nice write up. Good looking Rodeo

It would be nice to have a special kind of thread sturcture for this kind of thing. A place that only the OP can add content as you build out your vehicle and keep all the thread comments at the end of the thread. Kind of like a blog format.

Thanks and thanks!

It does keep it all together, guess it helps that I showed up late to the party.

S

Squatchout

On the Zoo stuff most of us have build threads over on Planetisuzu. I could link but wouldn't want to try to reproduce my build threads here. I wouldn't live long enough. I suspect for many the same is true. They post high points and teasers here and have full build threads on their brand specific sites. Most of us gear heads belong to more than 1 forum these days.

cronk

Observer
I built a custom rear bumper for my truck.

I used a bit of scrap steel and an H2 swing away tire carrier. It took me about a month to build.

IMG00227-20110622-1913.jpg

IMG00231-20110622-1915.jpg

IMG00235-20110622-1956.jpg

Last edited:

cronk

Observer
Met up with some fellow Isuzu owners for a little weekend fun at Beasley Knob Georgia. we explored the trails and forest service roads. The trails were different than I have have been on before. Steep red clay hills mixed with some rocky ledges and loose boulders. All meandering between trees up and down steep grades. The Rodeo did great! I finally confirmed that my front ARB works! Had a good time, here are a few shots of the Rodeo in action.

IsuzuBeasley023.jpg

IsuzuBeasley016.jpg

img1723iu.jpg

img1752fg.jpg

IsuzuBeasley029.jpg

ALIM4043.jpg

ALIM4044.jpg

ALIM4025.jpg

ALIM4026.jpg

IMG00260-20110722-1732.jpg

cronk

Observer
Awesome build!!!!

I appreciate the complement!

I think I have an addiction. Every time I take this truck out, I want to do more to it! After my latest trip, I want a lower crawl ratio and stainless steel brake lines.

S

Squatchout

Cronk that's the beauty of a Zoo. After you buy it you can still afford to do what you want with it.

cronk

Observer
Very cool build indeed. Makes me want to go Isuzu Rodeo for a project build!

Glad you like it! They are cheap enough these days, you can pick one up pretty cheap.

I have a few minor updates on the truck. I made a jerry can holder for my swing away carrier and added taller coil springs.

For the Jerry Can holder, I basically scrap built it using some metal I had laying around. Welded it together with some brackets and welded that to the jerry can holders. I tapped the swing away carrier to allow me to bolt and unbolt the can holders. (sorry for the bad cell phone pics)

Scrap tubing I used
IMG00354-20111024-1726.jpg

Test fitting
IMG00350-20111022-1450.jpg

IMG00351-20111022-1451.jpg

Testing the swing.
IMG00356-20111024-1727.jpg

Finished off the fitment, welded the ends and primed the bare steel.
IMG00362-20111024-1851.jpg

Here is how the truck sits with the new springs. I have it loaded down with most of my garage in this picture. I recently moved. The truck took the load pretty well.

IMG00369-20111026-1802.jpg

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
How's your Rodeo been since the accident (repair work holding up, etc)? I just did a similar thing this past weekend in my 4runner.

cronk

Observer
How's your Rodeo been since the accident (repair work holding up, etc)? I just did a similar thing this past weekend in my 4runner.

The body shop did a terrific job so no problems there. The only issue I have really is the EGR tube under my manifold got plugged up. I'm thinking that while the was truck was upside and oil was going places it wasn't meant to go, it coated the egr tube which in turn collected extra carbon causing it to plug up. The clogged egr tube caused the computer to throw a code that kept coming back. Result was poor mileage (10-13 mpg instead of 15-17mpg) until I figured it out.

Last edited:

cronk

Observer
Thanks! Daniel Boone sounds like a good time, keep me posted when you go. Also, I'm trying to get a group together to go to The Badlands on December 7th/8th if you'd be interested in convoying up, let me know.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Great to see more Isuzu's out there! I've been wheeling Rodeo's for over 8 years now. My current set-up is a 93, Aussie'd D44 rear, 4.30's, XCR8 winch on a custom mounted Defender Series bumper that I fabbed on. Currently running on 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp MT's on some Outlaw II rims.
These ARE great platforms to start a build from. I swapped in the Superwinch manual hubs, and I'm pretty sure they'd fit your generation, huge difference in mpg's and out-of-the hole performance.
I'll have to search around for the dif drop, I'm actually in the process of making my own ;)
I go on a few trips a year with mine where we all have to be self-sufficient and live/camp out of our vehicles. What a blast! If you ever come to New England, Maine in particular, give me a shout!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk