Isuzu to stop US production in 2009

Incusus

Adventurer
AKTrooper said:
*snip* That said, the engine eats oil like there is no tomorrow and I find it amazing that this type of fault was let out for production from a company that makes more engines than anything else. */snip*

I was suprised as well, but I hear the problem was fixed in the post-2000 troopers. Unfortunately since part of the fix was to reengineer certain parts of the head, its not exactly easy to retrofit the old ones.

I have a '99 and was able to alleviate much of the oil burning by a combination of flushing the engine and using certain oils & additives. One thing I would definately advise you to stay away from is Mobile's Mobile 1 "performance" filters. In the process of trying different oils and filters, it seems using that one gunked up my engine and started the oil burning all over again.

anyway... try this on your next oil change:

Go buy the following: a PCV valve, a can of brake cleaner spray, a bottle of Seafoam (not the spray) case of cheap 5W30 (I like Partsmaster stuff from Genuine Auto), an inexpensive filter, 2 containers of Gunk motor flush, 6 quarts of Royal Purple synthetic (Mobile1 synthetic will work, but not as well as RP) and a decent oil filter (I like Frams filters, but have had luck with the less expensive WIX/Partsmaster ones as well). This should all run you about $100. Trust me, its worth it.

now- go dump the can of Seafoam in the crankcase. Drive it like normal until the weekend (at least a few days).

On the weekend- park the truck, set the brake.

Step 1: Dump 1 can of Gunk flush into the crankcase and let the truck idle for about 10 minutes. Do Not drive the truck. Let the truck cool for a few after idling, but not too long. Dont want the oil getting thick. Drain it as well as possible, crack open a frosty beverage and replace the pvc valve while waiting. Remove the old filter, let the block drain. Hose off the oil filter mount on the block with the brake cleaner until it runs clear, then put on the "cheap" filter. Hose off the drain plug and replace.

Step 2: Fill the crankcase with the less expensive oil (about 5 quarts I think? Check the capacity..) and go for a drive. Take it out for about half an hour or so, avoiding highway speeds and stop and go traffic.

Step 3: Bring her back to the garage, set the brake and dump that next can of flush in. Restart the truck and let it idle for 10 minutes. Don't drive the truck. Shut it down and let it cool. Lube the u-joints while waiting ;). When cooled a bit, drain again and remove the filter. Have another frosty bev while awaiting all the oil to drain again and check your tire pressure ;). Hose off the drain plug and filter mount with brake cleaner again and let dry.

(by the way, the oil coming out when you drain it at this point should be darker, but still reasonably clean. If it looks realy bad, consider dropping the oil pan and cleaning it which is outside the scope of this...)

Reinstall drain plug and new "good" filter. Fill with the Royal Purple synthetic, and take it for a short test drive. Bring it back, let it cool completely, check for leaks from the filter and drain plug, doublecheck oil level and add if necessary.

From here on out, try to stick with a "genuine" synthetic (Royal Purple, Mobile 1, and I think Amsol makes one...) and change your oil <i>before</i> 3500miles.

Some might call this process a waste of oil but frankly, this <b>*completely eliminated*</b> my oil burning issue until I changed oils to a lesser synthetic, and even then I only had to add a minimal amount of oil beween changes. IMHO, I think spending a bit more on one good engine cleaning like this and using a good quality "true" synthetic is cheaper in the long run than having to add a quart of oil every 1k miles and certainly works better for the engine in the long run.

For what it's worth, I've been experimenting over the last year with different oils and filters, and the Royal Purple/fram filter has worked out far and away the best. Keep the second half of the case of cheap oil around in case you want to repeat this process again sometime in the future.:rockon:

Incusus

Adventurer
Shovel said:
I've been told, but have not personally confirmed that the 3.4L Toyota V6 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern and shaft size/splines as 60deg GM engines... and 2.5L chrysler I4's. And oldsmobile 4.3L diesels... and caddy northstars ;)

Oh REALLY...

:wings:

I know my trooper's tranny should match up to the northstar motors... I wonder if I could get a Toyota diesel's engine control unit to play nice with my transmission control unit and the borg-warner TOD unit. If so, that makes for interesting possibilities. :D

Last edited:

AKTrooper

Observer
oil consumption

Thanks for the information and I did find all the items you outlined at the local parts store. When the cold weather breaks, I will give your advise a trial run. One question, what weight RP oil did you find works the best?

Thanks again,

Dennis

Zaphod

Adventurer
Incusus said:
Oh REALLY...

:wings:

I know my trooper's tranny should match up to the northstar motors... I wonder if I could get a Toyota diesel's engine control unit to play nice with my transmission control unit and the borg-warner TOD unit. If so, that makes for interesting possibilities. :D

SPECIFICS, man! SPECIFICS! Some of us here can barely turn a wrench, let alone speak Gearhead. :eek:

Are you suggesting that our beloved Troopers could actually be retrofitted with a TOYOTA engine?

Man, if that's true, I'd be all over it like a bad rash! :drool:

What would be the considerations WRT the computer and such?

Zaphod

Adventurer
Shovel said:
These days I just turn the key and drive with the windows down and the radio up, don't care what engine is pulling me along.

Believe me, I hear ya!

My thing is that I simply want to know that A) the engine pulling me along is supremely reliable, that B) it doesn't burn oil, and C) it gets the best gas mileage possible when compared to the performance.

Beyond that, Daffy Duck could be strapped to the driveshaft for all I care. :eek:

Incusus

Adventurer
Zaphod said:
SPECIFICS, man! SPECIFICS! Some of us here can barely turn a wrench, let alone speak Gearhead. :eek:

Are you suggesting that our beloved Troopers could actually be retrofitted with a TOYOTA engine?

Man, if that's true, I'd be all over it like a bad rash! :drool:

What would be the considerations WRT the computer and such?

I had originally heard about the Northstar thing from this guys website:
http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/AuroraSwap.html

I have no honest idea if it would work, but having the trans and engines simply bolt together is a pretty big step in the right direction! If the new Toyota diesel has the same bolt pattern.... we could be on to something.

Maybe I'll try it, but not until this engine is shot, needs replaced, and I have another car to get to work in!

madizell

Explorer
Bolt pattern is only a part of the problem of mating dissimilar drive line parts. Clutch diameters, transmission nose cone diameter and length, clutch throwout device design, clutch build height, all have something to do with whether two parts will work together. Certainly if the pattern matches, life is simpler than when it does not, but it takes some creativity to make it work. I have two Jeeps. One has a Ford 5.0 mated to a Dodge variant NV4500. It takes an expensive adapter to put the two together, as well as a transmission input shaft with the proper diameter and spline count and length. But it obviously can be done. The other Jeep has a Buick V-6 (factory option for 1968) but a Ford T-18 transmission. The transmission bolt pattern does not "match" but two of the holes do, and two others are easy enough to make happen, so it can be bolted directly to the GM housing. However, the combination requires a GM flywheel and clutch cover, and a Ford friction plate, and the input shaft and nose cone had to be shortened, and the front bearing retainer needed machining to reduce the diameter to GM proportions. It also required a pilot bearing with a GM outer dimension and a Ford inside dimension, which only exists if someone makes one from scratch (Novak does, bless their hearts). Whether all these changes are simple or difficult depends on your perspective, but to say that they "bolt together" is stretching it a bit.

Personally, if you want to drop a Toyota motor into an Isuzu, I would transplant motor and transmission and transfer case as a unit. Much simpler and almost certainly doable with mild fabricating skills. If output locations differ from the original, then I would also include the Toyota axles in the swap. Find a roll-over wreck as a donor, buy the whole vehicle, take what you need, and discard whatever is left over.

Last edited:

AKTrooper

Observer
Oil consuption fix

In this thread is a post outlining a series of engine flushes combined with using a Royal Purple synthetic oil-Fram filter combo. Now I don't want to overstate things just yet, as I only have a couple hundred miles on the odometer since I followed the posts instructions to the letter, but it hasn't burned any oil since. Mind you, in the past I was going through oil at the rate of 500 miles to the quart so this is already an improvement over that situation. We all know the problem and complained accordingly, this just might be a solution that actually works so consider it and I will keep people updated as I have a 1500 miles road trip set up next week. If it comes back as hoped, then this will be considered a fix by me after years of thowing countless quarts down the crank.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
It only affects their passenger vehicles. They are still selling their service trucks. Maybe a nice Isuzu cab over w/ 4x4 in a diesel flavor?

It's sad that they've decided to part their passenger vehicles. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh