It must be out there!

Colby Jack

Traveler
Long timer, first timer here. I got caught last night researching pop-ups, and the wifey looks over and says, "So I guess we're gonna get a camper??? Just make sure we have a truck that can pull that and our boat without a problem." Am I lucky, or what???:wings:

So I presently own a 2003 silverado, and am about to purchase a 2006 quad cab cummins.

What I have noticed (being the gear whore that I am) is that I like a lot of the features on various pop-up campers out there, but I have found flaws IMHO in all designs. Keep in mind that I live in Alaska, and want to use my camper all year. What I have noticed is that I like the fiberglass/aluminum construction of the Outfitter campers, but I have zero faith in a rubber roof. I like the composite roof of the Northstar, but don't want balsa wood in my walls. I like the weight of the ATC/FWC but I'm not crazy about the lack of headroom if I camp stealthy in the winter.:REOutIceFishing:

Am I missing something? Is there someone here that would jump in a defend the Outfitter roof? The idea of being able to sit at the dinette in stealth mode is very attractive. I'm not worried about the weight while off-road because we have a different idea of recreation up here-- I'll use a snow machine or four wheeler to get off the highway.

Thanks in advance!

Colby Jack

geovalue

Adventurer
We live in Canada so the ability to sit in the camper with the roof down was essential for us. It also has a furnace. We looked at FWC, Hallmark and even consider building our own from scratch however we met a couple who had taken an Outfitter across Africa on a Nissan so we know what conditions the camper was subjected to and the roads it was driven on, and the camper was in fabulous condition. They now were traveling across the Americas. The camper had been shipped several times fitting into a container another essential feature for us. They did have one problem with the roof a small leak but they were able to fix it easily. There is no one fit all camper out there nor is there the perfect camper we made the decision on our needs and are really pleased with the end product.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Not a Northstar rep.

Checkout the Northstar site. They use quality materials. Corners are glued,screwed and wrapped. Fit and finish is impeccable. Zero leaks to date nor problems. I've had it ten years now and I think it's built better than either platform I've had it on. You will need the Arctic Pak insulation either brand you go with. I'm tall so the FWC is a no go,so other than a Northstar,the Alaskan is the only option I'd buy. You get a lot of standard features with Northstar.

Stroller

There's fiberglass and kinda fiberglass. Perhaps they changed materials but Outfitter was using filon type material. It had a wood fiber backing and was not true fiberglass. The same material many big rv's use. If moisture get to the backing it deforms, much quicker than regular wood deforms. It is easier to work and cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach