J8 diesel photos and story

haven

Expedition Leader
The Wrangler J8, built for the Egyptian army, made an appearance at the Jeep Easter Week in Moab this year.

sarge-j8.jpg

The J8 uses a Wrangler Unlimited body without rear doors. A Dana 60 on leaf springs replace the Wrangler's rear coil springs, the frame is strengthened, and larger 17x8 steel rims are fitted. A VM Motori 2.8L diesel is installed under the hood.

Read the J8 story, and see lots of photos here:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/chrysler/jeep/up-close-with-jeep-j8-sarge.html

Too bad Scott can't have Earthroamer convert this chassis into his camper!

boblynch

Adventurer
The more I read about this vehicle the more I'm convinced it would find a market in the US if offered. The members of this forum alone could probably generate more word-of-mouth sales for a J8-type vehicle than recent Dakota sales.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Perfect replacement for the SWR...............!

That's Exactly what I have been looking/hoping for!

Check out the intake on the hood.

j8sargeintro.jpg

Only thing is.....can I fit my twin blow up camp mattress in there?:smilies27 .....hehe

I hate setting up tents!:p

Last edited by a moderator:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
A hard top anchored to the roll cage is much better for mounting a roof rack than the quirky external body-mounted setup I'm using now. I wonder how much of this stuff will filter down to the likes of us?

Cheers,
Graham

haven

Expedition Leader
In another thread, I passed along a link to a magazine article claiming to know what Chrysler is thinking about its light trucks. The idea is to make the Dodge Dakota more car-like to take on the Honda Ridgeline. A pickup would be added to the Jeep line for people who like the current truck-like Dakota.

Here's the thread
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16495

If Jeep decides to offer a pickup, chances are the bed will be longer than the J8's to make it more practical as a work vehicle. That's OK with me, since it will become a better platform for a small camper.

I'm sure Chrysler will be watching the success of the Mahindra 4x4 pickup with 2.2L diesel engine. It's supposed to be introduced this time next year. If the Mahindra is well-received, Jeep could respond with 4 cylinder diesel, like the VM Motori unit in the J8, or the International 3.0L from Brasil. Cummins is supposed to have a V6 diesel ready soon, but at 4.2L and 400 lb-ft of torque, it's probably too big for this application.

CRD4Liberty

Here in Oregon, we don't see many Ridgelines on the road. I wasn't aware they were selling that well for Dodge to think about moving to that type platform.

ox4mag

Explorer
Yeah, we featured that vehicle on the front cover of the new issue of JPFreek and one of our contributing editor's, Matt Adair (aka IXNAYXJ) had the pleasure of test driving it out at EJS in Moab. Check out the photos in the new issue of JPFreek from our website.

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
Annoucement

Jeep is making a return of sorts to its WWII roots by introducing a purpose-built, anytime, anywhere military-themed Wrangler. Chrylser's European Jeep division has announced the arrival of the more durable Jeep J8 that is specifically tailored for commercial, military or government use around the world.

Beginning with a standard 2007 Jeep Wrangler, the J8 receives a reinforced chassis capable of managing payloads up to 2756 lbs and is able to be variably configured based on needs. According to Chrysler, the J8 can be built as a troop/cargo carrier, ambulance or communication equipment vehicle in either left or right-hand drive and can be armor plated for further protection.

Further modification was undertaken on the Jeep's drivetrain, with the rear axle receiving a stronger Dana 60 differential, bigger brakes on all four corners and a modified rear leaf spring suspension setup. A 2.8-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel cranking out 158 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque allows the Jeep to tow a maximum 7700 lbs in all types of terrain. Fording capabilities up to 30 inches deep have been improved through the use of a hood mounted air intake snorkel system. In probably one of the most rigorous "trail rated" tests, the snorkel allows the truck to be driven in sand storms lasting up to five hours.

The 2008 Jeep J8 in commercial and military form is of course, not available to the public, which seems a shame to us, as we bet Jeep enthusiasts would snap these bad boys up if given the chance. Production of what looks to be the ultimate Jeep Wrangler begins at Chrysler's production plant in Cairo, Egypt, later this month.

Source: Chrysler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk