JakeMate's Build Thread: 2000 WJ Grand Cherokee: Big Black

JakeMate

Adventurer
I was able to get my 4.5" Clayton long arm kit installed this weekend. It took about 20 hours with two of us working on it. That time included mounting and balancing the tires, doing the alignment ourselves, and some trimming of the fenders to getting it rolling. It was more work than I thought but the results seem worth it so far. :smiley_drive:

I've attached before and after pictures below. I'm currently running the stock driveshaft with no slipyoke eliminator. I'm getting some vibration around 45mph but it's not too bad and has seemed to improve since the initial test drive. I plan on getting a Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE very soon. I don't have the front driveshaft connected yet. I have a Tom Woods front DS that will be going on this weekend. The rear sway bar is disconnected and it seems to suit me fine so far.

I need to flex it out a bit to determine where additional trimming is needed.

I'm running 33" Dunlop MT's with Cragar soft 8's (4" backspacing). They cleared the calipers fine.

The Clayton kit has nice grease fittings at all the joints but I'm getting a little creaking from somewhere. Maybe the track bar? There are no grease fittings on it. I think it's a JKS.

Attachments

• Jake's GC Before Lift.jpg
    Jake's GC Before Lift.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Jake's GC 4_5in Clayton.jpg
    Jake's GC 4_5in Clayton.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 275

Jeff H

Adventurer
That is a thing of beauty! The all blacked out look is menacing. How is the handling with the Claytons?

JakeMate

Adventurer
I spoke with JKS today about the trackbar and they acknowledged that their latest bushings are squeaking badly. I wasn't impressed with their customer service, AT ALL. They said that I should install grease fittings into the ends. Maybe they should have done some testing and done that themselves.

CJC99TJ: It handles fine. I'll probably leave the sway bar off. The damping in the bilsteins and the springs rates feel very nice on the road. Dare I say, better than stock? But I just bought it and it had the original shocks and springs with 118,000 miles on them.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Greased the trackbar late last week and the creaking is gone. Rides like a dream now. Seems more supple. Maybe I was feeling the binding from the bushings before. Probably psychological.

Did some flexing over the weekend to see if any additional trimming was needed.

2010-06-12121536.jpg

2010-06-12121707.jpg

I found a little pinch seem inside the front wheel well that needed to be coaxed out of the way.

Also started designing my spare tire carrier that attached to the hitch mount that I have into another thread.

Also verified my OEM bottle jack would still lift if high enough with the 33's. Check.

Discovered my tailgate is not locking when I lock the vehicle. I need to fix that along with the passenger side tail light that doesn't work (not the bulb).

Oh yeah....also tied up the brake lines out of the way so they're not resting on the long arms.

Gotta change the front diff fluid next. Hopefully get out off the pavement to do some exploring very soon.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Im definitely diggin it! Are those the 33x12.50-15s Mud Rovers? I had a set of those on my first TJ. They seemed to do pretty well offroad.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Im definitely diggin it! Are those the 33x12.50-15s Mud Rovers? I had a set of those on my first TJ. They seemed to do pretty well offroad.

Yes they are.

Here's one for you guys...My rear liftgate and glass won't lock. I hear the actuator but it doesn't lock. See picture below. I'm not very good at electro-mechanical issues. I want to make sure I know which part to replace before I drop some money for it.

(My comments have the yellow arrows).

WJRearGateLock.jpg

JakeMate

Adventurer
Yeah...I have Selec-Trac.

I forgot to mention that I got the Tom Woods driveshaft connected now anyway. All is good.

Still need help on that rear liftgate issue on page 1 of this thread. Any help would be appreciated.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Ordered the lock actuator as well as the Overland skid plates. I'm hoping I can make them work with my Clayton lift.

Also determined that I have an open diff in the Dana 44a rear and the Aussie locker is an option. Was thinking about doing the install myself but I also have a leaky bearing seal on the rear axle so I might have someone do both at once since changing the bearings is a pain that requires a press.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online