JakeMate's Build Thread: 2000 WJ Grand Cherokee: Big Black

JakeMate

Adventurer
Went to http://www.4wheelparts.com/stores/store-info.aspx?sNo=54 on Saturday and picked myself up an ARB snatch strap and a receiver mount toe ring. Also picked up a Hi-Lift jack as a graduation gift for my buddy's son. He's got a nice Comanche.

Oh yeah...I also picked up a Firestik CB antennae from the local truck stop. I tried to mount it but I need to come up with a better mounting bracket.

Just order a Yukon Spartan locker for the Dana 44a for ~$250. Can't wait to get that installed.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Went to http://www.4wheelparts.com/stores/store-info.aspx?sNo=54 on Saturday and picked myself up an ARB snatch strap and a receiver mount toe ring. Also picked up a Hi-Lift jack as a graduation gift for my buddy's son. He's got a nice Comanche.

Oh yeah...I also picked up a Firestik CB antennae from the local truck stop. I tried to mount it but I need to come up with a better mounting bracket.

Just order a Yukon Spartan locker for the Dana 44a for ~$250. Can't wait to get that installed.

Where did you order the locker from? Im glad that theres finally an alternative to the overpriced Aussie locker for the 44a.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Got the locker from www.RingPinion.com.

Ordered Monday and scheduled to deliver Wednesday. Not bad. Paid $258 with free shipping. I was going to install it myself but I decided to have a shop install it and replace my leaky seals and possibly the bearings also. WJ's need a press for the bearing replacement.

I also installed the lift gate actuator during my lunch hour today and thank god it is fixed. I wasn't sure if it was actually the problem or not. The lift gate and glass locks now.

Got the Overland skid plates in last night. Looks like neither will directly bolt on with the Clayton lift in the way. I will probably return them or sell them if anyone's interested. I'll probably end up making something custom.

I also ordered all the flat plates for my rock rails and hitch mount spare tire holder. I hope to start both of those projects soon.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Got the Spartan Locker installed today at 4WheelParts in Charlotte. Also replaced bearing and seals on passenger side. Only drove it home but feels fine on the road. I little bit of clickity-clack but nothing that bothered me. It's a 10 year old Jeep so it's got it's fair share of noises.

Also made a lot of headway on the flat parts for my swing away spare tire holder and rock rails. The tubing is ordered also. Will be building these in the next couple weeks. I need to get some pictures of the parts.

Oh yeah...also got my CB antennae mounted tonight. Just have to hide the wire and find a spot for the CB.

Here's a picture from a little exploring at my hunt club last weekend.
DSCN2720.jpg

JakeMate

Adventurer
Got most of the flat pieces done for the spare tire carrier and Rock Rails. Here's a quick pic of drilling the pinch seams.

rocksliders1.jpg

JakeMate

Adventurer
Finished up the Rock Rails and Spare Tire Holder over the weekend. It went pretty well. Here's some quick pics.

RockRails1.jpg

RockRails2.jpg

TireHolder3.jpg

TireHolder2.jpg

The tire holder plugs into the existing trailer hitch. I added an additional hitch to it so I can still use my cargo carrier.

TireHolder1.jpg

wjtoy

Looks great! One suggestion on the tire carrier. If it rattles too much, weld a nut on the inside of the rack and use a bolt instead of the lock you're using to hold the rack on on the hitch.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Looks great! One suggestion on the tire carrier. If it rattles too much, weld a nut on the inside of the rack and use a bolt instead of the lock you're using to hold the rack on on the hitch.

Great idea. Thanks. We were brainstorming and didn't think of that simple one. It doesn't seem to be rattling though.

JakeMate

Adventurer
Got the Dana 44a rear axle truss/skid welded on this weekend. Here's a pic from the rear before I painted it.

AxleTruss.jpg

Also got a little muddy while doing some hunt club maintenance:

MuddyJeep.jpg

I like the tire carrier.

More info on the pivot point......any "drop" when the carrier swings out.
Where did you source the parts.
Did you weld nuts inside the end cap on the square tube?
Does it lock open?
How does it lock closed?

It looks great. I am designing a swing out rack for the rear of my trailer, I may borrow some ideas. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online