Jeep as an Overland vehicle.

JKIslander

Observer
Aside from being on the small side a Jeep is a great expo vehicle for North America and perhaps even parts of central america.

Good reliability from the 2.5 to the 4.0 even the 3.8 in my JK
good parts availability as the 2.5 and 4.0 were put in millions of vehicles and the 3.8 has been put in millions of (gasp) minivans.

A good set of springs, a good roof rack and a Jeep will get you just about anywhere you want to go, and it can also crawl better then almost any other overlander rig of choice should you choose to really run the road less travelled.

Im not planning on going to south america in my jeep, but for exploring the US and Canada I dont think I made a bad choice, I just have to find room for all my stuff.

tatersalad

Given the blocks of time life will give me for 'expeditions', I'm feeling better about my JK. I'm just getting started equipping it, so have a long way to go. I love the Jeep, and I'm looking forward to enjoying it even more.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Good on Dan; thanks, Christian.

We have no complaints with our JK. 71,000 miles of smiles so far. :smiley_drive:

068_crop.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Personally I think any of the jeeps would be a good vehicle for the overlander. I would speculate that the parts availability would be somewhat limited in comparison to Toy and LR but other than that possible concern, and most certainly if you are staying in North America and most of Europe I should think it would be fine.

x32792

Adventurer
More Adventure Touring Than Expedition

1084153973_ySK3p-L.jpg

Read here or somewhere else Expedition meant being completely self sufficient and going long in remote areas for extended periods of time...while Adventure Touring was the more spontaneous, more lightly equipped first cousin.

With not enough space for stemware or plasma TV, my '01 TJ doesn't qualify as an Expedition rig, but for going long, fast and light, it's suits my needs.

John

FTA

Oh No! This will never work if you don't drive a toyota! Haven't you guy's been reading this forum?

stjjames

Observer
1084153973_ySK3p-L.jpg

Read here or somewhere else Expedition meant being completely self sufficient and going long in remote areas for extended periods of time...while Adventure Touring was the more spontaneous, more lightly equipped first cousin.

With not enough space for stemware or plasma TV, my '01 TJ doesn't qualify as an Expedition rig, but for going long, fast and light, it's suits my needs.

John

I love those Ravines !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy