jeep jk cb questions

bigones1993

hello,

i have a 2013 jeep jk 2 door soft top im ready to install a cb but i cant decide between a cobra 19 or the more expensive 29 and whip or just a fiber glass firestick and where to put the cb being the biggest question any suggestions?

IKE2013

Observer
Welp, I am running the Uniden Bearcat PC78LTW, which has the weather-emergency radio also. I had it first in my TJ on an overhead cb bar which I purchased from ebay. Then I traded the Tj in and kept the bar and cb. So after some cutting drilling and minor trimming I was able to install it in the JK. The Uniden is the same size as the Cobras, or damn close. So being a large cb either a console or overhead is pretty much your option. But you could always get fancy and start cutting things up in the dash. Tuffy makes a nice, more secure console also, if you are worried about theft.

I wasn't willing to on a new Jeep. The overhead bar was cheap and easy enough. It is suprisingly out of sight also blending in well. I am running a 3 ft fiberglass antenna. I have a 2,3 and 5 foot. The 3 seems to be the most convenient, although the 5 is nice on road trips. Never ran a whip, seems to cumbersome, but that is just me. Here is a pic.

View attachment 203648

View attachment 203649

Lazy Hiker

I was running an older CB that I had for about 10 years, but wanted something that was a little less obvious.

Today I installed a Cobra 75 WX ST. Nice and hidden when I'm not using it. Since the speaker is in the handset which hangs on my passenger side, I hacked up an old Radio Shack external speaker and mounted it in the sound bar behind the driver's seat. I just cut a hole in the padding and stuck the speaker up in the padding.

Still running my Wilson flexible antenna.

Remote box mounted in the center console at the base of the shifter (mine's a manual)...

External speaker...

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Welp, I am running the Uniden Bearcat PC78LTW, which has the weather-emergency radio also. I had it first in my TJ on an overhead cb bar which I purchased from ebay. Then I traded the Tj in and kept the bar and cb. So after some cutting drilling and minor trimming I was able to install it in the JK. The Uniden is the same size as the Cobras, or damn close. So being a large cb either a console or overhead is pretty much your option. But you could always get fancy and start cutting things up in the dash. Tuffy makes a nice, more secure console also, if you are worried about theft.

I wasn't willing to on a new Jeep. The overhead bar was cheap and easy enough. It is suprisingly out of sight also blending in well. I am running a 3 ft fiberglass antenna. I have a 2,3 and 5 foot. The 3 seems to be the most convenient, although the 5 is nice on road trips. Never ran a whip, seems to cumbersome, but that is just me. Here is a pic.

View attachment 203648

View attachment 203649

Can I get more info on the bar?

aristobrat

Observer
i have a 2013 jeep jk 2 door soft top im ready to install a cb but i cant decide between a cobra 19 or the more expensive 29 and whip or just a fiber glass firestick and where to put the cb being the biggest question any suggestions?
I use the same CB as Lazy Hiker, which is the Cobra 75 WX ST.

I bought it in an All-In-One kit (CB, tailgate antenna mount, no-solder antenna wire, FireStik, and a mount that holds the CB to the right of the radio) from a company called Cool Tech.

I like this CB because it's two pieces -- a little box (used for connecting to power and the antenna) that stays permanently mounted in a hidden area (mine is zip-tied to an area underneath the glove box), and then the CB, which is contained in a hand-held piece that quickly (10-15 seconds) connects/disconnects from the little box. This lets me store the CB in my garage when I'm not using it, which is most of the time. I don't run doors on my JK from May-Oct, so I like not having a permanently mounted CB that might invite someone to crawl in and try ripping it out. I've had no issues with power/range on this unit, although I'm usually in a fairly tight pack of Jeeps when I use it .. never tried sending someone 3 miles out and seeing how it sounds then.

I've never used a whip antenna, and can only think of one Jeep I've ever been off road with that had one. It was a pain to spot this guy through stuff, because you not only had to watch his Jeep, but once he bounced passed, you had to watch yourself or his antenna might slap you. He tried securing it by tying the top of the antenna to his front bumper, but it kept snagging on trees and pulling free. Pretty much everyone else I wheel with uses a Firestik-like antenna.

waterboy222

Adventurer
wow, I like that strikeforcezebra mount. I just ordered one. Very clean.. I am having my rearview mirror removed and lowered 3/4" to make it work since I have the big mirror. Im thinking any windshield shop could do that.

IKE2013

Observer
Yeah I like that on too! My concern was having the large cb, the depth and clearing the mirror were concerns with the hoop mount. The bar I modified to fit, it could be a door surround knob issue IDK. Mine uses the door surround knobs to secure the bar, if you don't have those for the hard top, then just buy some bolts. I don't have the hard top, so I can't say. Regardless the holes are still in the roll bar.

Last edited:

bigones1993

thanks for the info guys I think I got what I need for my install I decided on a cobra 19 and thanks to you guys I think I know where I want to put it now the last thing I'm waiting on is the weather to be nice enough for the install. curse you new jersey weather!!!

wow, I like that strikeforcezebra mount. I just ordered one. Very clean.. I am having my rearview mirror removed and lowered 3/4" to make it work since I have the big mirror. Im thinking any windshield shop could do that.

can they move it up? I have never heard of moving a mirror. I have the big mirror and miss the old trick of flipping the mirror around for more windshield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal