Jeep JK overlanding setup for sale - Ursa Minor J180 + fridge, stove, shower, toilet etc

GaryDCO

To determine the asking price, I set the used J180 top value at $8,000 and then looked up the retail price of all the other gear and divided it in half – which is a nice deal since it was lightly used and is in excellent condition. Below is a table listing all the equipment which gets to an asking price of $10,900. You can Google all this gear (I did) to find out more about it and check pricing. See attached PDF.

Attachments

• A.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 303

GaryDCO

I am in Ridgway, Colorado so this would probably be a road trip or part of a vacation for some prospective buyers - I can work with a buyer on timing. The good part about that is this area is a vacation destination with about 400 miles of Jeeping trails – that campsite near Chimney Rock is just below 10,000’ about 20 miles from here.

Attachments

•  B.jpeg
    B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 248

GaryDCO

In coming up with a camping/overlanding setup for our Jeep, I did not want to install permanent slide out drawers or delete the rear seat(s) as many people do because we use it to take our houseguests off-roading in the mountains. So, I needed to be able to switch out the camping tent top and remove the fridge and stove in a reasonable amount of time so the Jeep could be used both as a camper and in its regular configuration. It took a lot of thought, but I think on a good day, I can switch tops and install all the camping gear or vice versa in about two hours. However, we have since bought a purpose-built overlanding RV the Jeep related camping equipment is likely to go unused – so most of what we bought is now for sale.

Ideally, I would like to find one buyer for everything listed here. It would be simpler for me, and it would be fun to turnkey build out another Jeep JK with this gear. (Note that this tent top does not fit a JL). However, if that proves unrealistic, at some point I will break it up and sell everything however I can. If anyone out there has been thinking of getting an overland setup but hasn’t pulled the trigger – this would be a pretty sweet, and rare, one stop solution. I have an electric hoist and can lower the top on your Jeep. You would need to show up with a soft top or topless (obviously no place to put a second hard top – unless you have a trailer).

The tent top is an AT Overland / Ursa Minor J180. This is not the J30 – it’s the one that opens 180º across the whole Jeep with room for four people. For a couple, the thing we like about this tent vs the J30 is you have tons of room. Pull into camp, flip up the tent, slide open one of the interior hatches and throw up your bags with clothing etc. Plenty of room to organize your things at the rear of the tent and set up a two person bed at the front over the hood of the Jeep. Also, if you get up in the night, you are not lying on the interior hatch – you can go out without disturbing your partner. The J180s are rare – I was told by Ursa Minor they only made 25 (including the prototype) before they moved over to making the more affordable J30. Often, if you do find one, they are for sale with a Jeep attached – which is not much good if you already have a Jeep! This top was formerly owned by the owner of Vector Off Road (so it has their logo on the side panels). He sold it when he bought a JL and it was then owned for one summer by someone serving in the military who got posted and needed to sell it on. When we got it, I thought about painting it to match our Jeep, but the silver color actually works well so I left it as is.

Someone likes it – we got “ducked” at Lake Powell (attached pics)

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 334
  • 1A.jpeg
    1A.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 346

GaryDCO

At left in the attached photo is the Nemo shower tent which has Nemo folding clover leaf floor mats, the folding toilet and the Geyser systems shower.

The cooking setup. On the left side of the Jeep is a Socalteardrops aluminum fridge and stove slide with a Dometic CFX3 35 fridge and 22” two burner Partner Steel stove. Utensils are in a Duluth utensil roll which is handy hanging off the rear of the slide. Not shown but also for sale is a Partner aluminum griddle which fits across both burners. You can’t see it, but there is a Brawlee LED light bar which is fitted across the bottom length of the rear window. I usually set it on red to help my night vision but you have a rainbow of color options and white – it floodlights the rear of the Jeep / cooking area at night.

The stove gets propane from a Manchester 5 gallon tank attached to the camper top with an AT Overland aluminum corner mount. Supplies are in the flip down JK storage vault. I built wood dividers so everything would stay organized when it’s lowered. That storage vault flips up and latches out of sight tight to the roof when not in use.

Attached pics - the kitchen arrangement and making the wood dividers for the JK vault

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 218
  • 2A.jpg
    2A.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209

GaryDCO

Attached photo - one of the best devices to have if you are in a vehicle with limited water capacity – a Geyser systems heated shower which stows in the corner of the J180 top when travelling.

The Geyser system shower takes time to heat up so it was more practical to heat water on the Partner Steel stove (which puts out some serious BTUs), mix hot and cold together and pour it in rather than wait for the water to get warm with the heating element. That said, another way to do it would be to put water in the Geyser and heat it while driving so when you get to camp it’s ready to use. I always meant to do this - but always forgot. The Geyser plugs into the Dometic battery and has a cord long enough to reach the shower tent without removing the battery from its place under the roll bar. Before the Geyser, we used the Helios foot pedal shower – now the Helios is used for our water storage and we put it behind the front passenger seat when traveling. In camp we would set it by the tail gate so we could easily get water when cooking and cleaning up.

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 115

GaryDCO

The Dometic lithium battery with custom aluminum box mounted to the roll bar. The box has a shelf in the bottom for charging iPads off the battery (The phones get charged in the front of the Jeep). The Dometic battery is charged from the rear cigarette lighter. There are 2 positions in the Jeep fuse box for that lighter socket fuse – always on / ignition on. I moved the fuse so the lighter socket is only active when the Jeep is running. The lithium battery gets charged when the vehicle is running and now the fridge and anything else connected to it cannot drain the starter battery when stopped in camp.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 131

GaryDCO

The fridge is mounted to the fridge stove slide with 4 bolts and the slide is mounted to Unistrut channel and spring nuts in the rear of the Jeep. The Unistrut is mounted to existing factory tie down points - a secure solution requiring no modification to the Jeep. Removing the fridge and stove from the Jeep is simply a matter of undoing the 4 bolts securing the fridge and then undoing the 4 bolts securing the slide and stove to the Unistrut. I generally leave the Unistrut in the Jeep all the time but you could take that out as well (just another 4 bolts). Taking the fridge and stove out takes less than ten minutes. I installed a couple of spring nuts in the channel and placed the Jeep hold downs in them so I could securely strap / bungee our bags, sleeping bags, shower tent and anything else stowed back there when traveling.

Attachments

• 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 97

GaryDCO

Items we are keeping include the Jeep tailgate table in the photos, pots, pans, dishes and cutlery, sleeping bags and Exped air mattress, folding camping table and chairs. Other than that, it’s a complete setup ready to go.

How the top is stored in our garage – an electric hoist and pulleys are used to raise and lower it onto the Jeep. Stored, the top is lowered until it hangs on chains.

PM me if interested or need more information - thanks for looking! ............. Gary

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 182

GaryDCO

That drop down overhead storage tray is quite brilliant.
It is - it has locking latches so although I used it to create a kitchen and did not need the security it makes a good large safe. When up it is not apparent to someone looking in the Jeep - it seems like part of the roof, so most people don't even notice its there until it is lowered,

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
This is a beautiful setup and very well done presentation. My congratulations!

Why don't you just sell the whole vehicle/Ursa Minor setup as one unit? Wish I had the $$ right now and I'd make you an offer.

Dale

GaryDCO

Hi Dale - Thanks but I did a lot of work and careful research on the Jeep mods too. If I sold it, I would buy another and then I would have to go through all that again. SPOD, lights, air compressor, suspension lift, wheels and tires, front and rear recovery bumpers, winch, Iphone mounts, CB radio, recovery gear, soft top and on... the old JEEP acronym - Just Empty Every Pocket. So selling the Jeep itself is a losing proposition until I decide I want something different to travel the trails around here. .... Gary

Last edited:

BradS

This is one hell of a deal Gary. I wish someone like you would liquidate their whole JKU overlanding setup once in a while up hear north of the 49th.
GLWS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat