Jeep open-top storage options

justfred

Adventurer
I'm considering a Jeep, probably a recent JKU.

At least some of the year, I'd want to leave the hard top in the garage and drive with bikini top, short doors, etc. I also tend to carry around my swim gear, a few tools, and some other sundry stuff.

I had a Jeep long ago, and I got used to people stealing the radio and anything else that was left in the open.

What are the factory options for keeping the radio attached to the vehicle?

Are there great storage options? I'm imagining a tonneau-cover style cargo area cover, made out of steel, to lock in anything behind the rear seats.

I've seen a couple of examples here, and found a few on the web; any y'all particularly like?

Septu

Explorer
This is what I built for my old JK. I needed to raise it a few inches above the tub to fit my fridge. I didn't put anything down the back of the seats, as that was how I accessed my fridge. So it wasn't completely secure, but it was out of sight which was what I wanted. Worked great. Haven't decided if I'll put it on my 2012 or not, as it won't work with the soft top. At least not completely (rear bar for rear window). Still might try it, as I should still be able to get the side windows and the actual top on/off. IF I can run it like that, then I absolutely will install it again this summer.

270925_10150223108317595_5971452_n.jpg

263882_10150223108467595_1069903_n.jpg

Here it is painted and all buttoned up with my bikini top and soft doors.
263998_10150223925227595_4860523_n.jpg

As for the radio and whatnot, I never once had any issues. Even with my Aeroguages or switches. No one touched anything. However I live in a fairly small place. Right now my JK is parked on the street 2 blocks away with the doors off. Center console and glove box are locked, and there's some crap in the very back (HT is on), and I'm not really concerned at all. I wouldn't leave it there overnight, but it's fine during the day.

Attachments

• 269577_10150223108627595_8204339_n.jpg
    269577_10150223108627595_8204339_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

justfred

Adventurer
Yeah, I forgot that I've got a fridge, too!

That looks like a great DIY solution.

I'm in San Diego - was in LA area before - and grabbing stuff from open vehicles seems to be a popular sport.

Petro

Adventurer
Yup, I have the Tuffy security deck too for my 2009 and it's great, would definitely recommend one.

greater mn

I'm considering a Jeep, probably a recent JKU.

At least some of the year, I'd want to leave the hard top in the garage and drive with bikini top, short doors, etc. I also tend to carry around my swim gear, a few tools, and some other sundry stuff.

I had a Jeep long ago, and I got used to people stealing the radio and anything else that was left in the open.

What are the factory options for keeping the radio attached to the vehicle?

Are there great storage options? I'm imagining a tonneau-cover style cargo area cover, made out of steel, to lock in anything behind the rear seats.

I've seen a couple of examples here, and found a few on the web; any y'all particularly like?

I have a 2013 JKUR and I'm planning on going with ARIES security storage. Won't help you for the radio... but will give you a secure place to stow stuff.

http://http://www.ariesautomotive.com/jeepwrangler.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman