Jeep Unlimited Rack

glensnea

I am looking into a roof rack for my Unlimited. The only one that I really like the way it looks is the Expedition Rack from Garvin.

My question is can this rack hold a roof top tent plus a couple of people? Being that the Unlimited rack is longer than the standard one, I would think that is would be weaker in the middle section. I may at times want to carry addition fuel for long trips so that is a concern as well.

Would this be viable if I had someone add some reinforcement to it around the middle section? Thanks!

jsmoriss

Explorer
According to Ron, the rack can hold 300 lbs on the move/off-road, and 800 lbs when stationary. The mounts are quite solid, but I added some AEV Corner Guards just to make sure it was _very_ solid. :)

The only disadvantage I'd noticed with the Garvin is 1) the paint is thin and it rusts (but that's always been the case with the Garvin racks), and 2) un-bolting the front & sides to put the soft-top down/up is a pain. I'm actively looking for a solution to fix #2. Some JK roof racks are galvanized and/or powder coated, making them much more rust resistant, BUT their mounting looks much weaker than the Garvin. From what I've seen, the Garvin still looks to have the stronger mounts.

js.

glensnea said:
I am looking into a roof rack for my Unlimited. The only one that I really like the way it looks is the Expedition Rack from Garvin.

My question is can this rack hold a roof top tent plus a couple of people? Being that the Unlimited rack is longer than the standard one, I would think that is would be weaker in the middle section. I may at times want to carry addition fuel for long trips so that is a concern as well.

Would this be viable if I had someone add some reinforcement to it around the middle section? Thanks!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
My Garvin Wilderness rack dates back to the 90's so excuse me if they changed anything i'm unaware of.

The RTT vendors suggest at least 3 cross braces resting against the floor of the RTT to eliminate bowing of the floor and issues with the hinge. With the RTT opening to the rear you would only have two. Trying to mount to a side opening you may need to move the mounting channels under the RTT to align with the Garvin sides...

In my case i did consider the RTT atop my Garvin but decided against it and opted for four Thule loadbars beneath it. Height and support were the issues.

Do a search for member "Gear", he had a custom rack made up for his LJ that would work well for your RTT. I believe he also had one made for his new JK.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I think that Wildboar bought JKracks. Jk Rack was part of landrunner (they made the Tj hummer body kit), Both made Tj racks.

TheGillz

Explorer
korisu56 said:
They only seem to have JK stuff. Is this true, or am I just looking in the wrong places.

Chris

If you click on "online store" at the top right of the site you will see all the products, including lots of TJ and YJ stuff.

korisu56

Adventurer
Thanks. I'm still in search for an affordable overhead rack with good capacity. If I had the know-how, I'd build one. Without either the know how and/or tools/materials, I'm lost in the sauce. I'll figure it out eventually. After studying a thread on here, I may draw up my own plans...

Jake5326

Observer
Gents,
I have been searching for expedition equipment for the Jeep and have been sadly dissapointed.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18117
http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?products_id=710

To date this is the only rack I can find for the JK worthy of expedition travel. I am not a rock crawler. My plans are to travel throughout the US, CN, Baja, Mx and South America. The only information for these travels seem to be on either the TLC or Disco websites due to bubbleboy Jeep owners. We just dont travel in the US. I am equipping my JK as a overland Disco or TLC.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
My neighbor has a Garvin Wilderness rack on his 4 door Wrangler and we have had 4 grown men standing on it with no problems. You will be fine.

Dave

Jake5326

Observer
Gobi or Garvin needs to build a rack for the JK 2 and 4 door specifically for rooftop tents and storage. To date there is none available.

To properly outfit a JK for overland we need to store fuel, water, sleeping quarters and kit. A well thought out rack capable of supporting two sleeping males (250 ea...yeah thats big) and some kit (200lbs) should do it.

Jeep has no (ZERO) presence in the overland/safari/cross country arena. The area is saturated w/Toyota TLC and Land Rover Disco/LR3.

I am hoping that Jeep wakes up and takes its place in this arena and reclaims some if not all what is has lost. With thought and awareness Jeep could have an worldwide presence.....it has not paid attention and has fallen significantly behind.

WFTW

Adventurer
Jake...many people think Jeeps are unworthy of expedition travel. I will prove that theory wrong.

I'm outfitting mine for a 6-month cross-country trip in which I'll do everything from mud bogging to rock crawling, and will camp at least 28 days a month.

The camping set-up I'm going with is a roof rack from Wild Boar Products and the Autohome AirLand roof top tent. Among other things, I'll have at least 1 gas can, an Engel MT45 refridgerator/freezer, water, full size 40" spare tire, tools, basic spare parts, and camping neccessities.

I agree that Jeep has missed the boat (so-to-speak) when it comes to expedition travel, but with the 4-door JK, they will hopefully see the light and come to realize they now have the platform needed to jump in the pool hip deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online