Jeep Unlimited Rack

Zeero

Adventurer
WFTW said:
Jake...many people think Jeeps are unworthy of expedition travel. I will prove that theory wrong.

I'm outfitting mine for a 6-month cross-country trip in which I'll do everything from mud bogging to rock crawling, and will camp at least 28 days a month.

The camping set-up I'm going with is a roof rack from Wild Boar Products and the Autohome AirLand roof top tent. Among other things, I'll have at least 1 gas can, an Engel MT45 refridgerator/freezer, water, full size 40" spare tire, tools, basic spare parts, and camping neccessities.

I agree that Jeep has missed the boat (so-to-speak) when it comes to expedition travel, but with the 4-door JK, they will hopefully see the light and come to realize they now have the platform needed to jump in the pool hip deep.

We to will blow that theory right out of the water.

Gobi does make a rack for the Unlimited 4 door, it even has a ladder on the back, 300 lbs travel capacity, nearly 600 in a non-moving environment....so that makes it perfectly capable of holding a roof mounted tent.

American Expedition Vehicles is using the JK as its base build and production vehicle.

Theres alot more to these for Overland use than meet the eye.

Check Earthroamer as well, they use the JK as a base for its newest small expo platform.

No, I think it is making a significant impact on the expo market, but like ALL SUVS out there, regardless of their purpose for build only 10% or less will make it out on adventure travels.

Last edited:

Zeero

Adventurer
Jake, I know what you mean about 'Bubbleboy" Jeep owners, but we keep pressing on, and there is no reason at all why these amazing capable vehicles can't be used for such a thing.

Check out American Expedition Vehicles, they may have somoe options for you.

As I mentioned before, Gobi does make a good rack for the 4 door.

Hope this all helps.

Chck out: www.jkboard.com and www.jkforum.com

Our website, is under change at the moment to suit our newest vehicles a little more appropriately, but check out our current, one www.kjexpgroup.com

Like I said a little outdated, but new is on the way.

Jake5326

Observer
JK Gobi Rack

Thanks. I agree. I almost bought another Disco, but have had my eyes on a JK Unlimited for a long time. Always said if Jeep built it in 4 door and a diesel, I would buy it. Well, the diesel may be a bit off, but I can't go topless in a Disco or TLC.

Ordered a JK Unlimited today and a rack w/ladder from Gobi. Already have a rooftop tent from my old Disco.

I did see more racks and there is alot of other equipment out there if you search the Disco or TLC sites.

If anyone already has a JK set up w/rooftop tent, etc I would like to see it.

Thanks again.........

Oh, my buddy has a Garvin rack and stripped it down and Rhinolined it. It hasn't even scratched in 3 years.

WFTW

Adventurer
Congrats! How long before your JK is ready to be picked up?

My JK will have the roof rack and roof top tent installed in about 2 weeks when I get back to the States. I'll be posting pictures of it in the build thread on this site. It's in this same "Jeep" section titled "From Stock To Stacked...The Story Of A JK."

The rack I got will have to be modified a bit because the roof top tent is longer than the rack by about a foot. Also, I'll be testing out a new way to mount a spare tire, which is going to involve some changes to the rack support bars.

sgt rock

Adventurer
jk rack

i have had the jkracks on for over a year and have had no issue with it....

IMG_2666-1.jpg

Jake5326

Observer
My JK will not be here for a couple of weeks. Ordered the dark red, and trying to find one. Also put down a deposit on the new BMW F800GS that I have waited 10 years for.......not very good at waiting, but am trying.

Excited about the JK and doing some more travels in Baja and SA. My Westfalia is not a Syncro and I was limited in where I could go.

Does anyone have other pics of JK's w/rooftop tents and full racks?

When I was looking for a roof rack I found nothing that really stood out, so I made my own! Ok, well the truth is the local shop that does all my work for me did. They took a Kargo Master Rack for the Unlimited, turned the bars sideways and fabricated mounts for a ARB Touring rack. The Kargo Master is static loaded to something like 1400 (can't remember exactly) though the recommend nothing over 700lbs when driving. VERY happy with the result though a little disappointed with the finish of the Kargo Master...oh well, to powder coat we go.

CIMG2311.jpg

CIMG2592.jpg

CIMG2596.jpg

WFTW

Adventurer
Jake5326 said:
Does anyone have other pics of JK's w/rooftop tents and full racks?

I'll be back in the States in 9 days, but I've got to make some changes to my roof rack, so it might be a little while longer before I can post some pictures of the set-up.

Jake5326

Observer
Flt Medic:
W/the congo cage turned sideways, are you still able to fold back your softop? My buddy blasted and rhinolined his Garvin rack and it has held up beautifully. After initially ordering the Gobi, I discovered it wont be able to attach to my short bumpers, so back to the drawing board. I want to put a maggiiolia poptop up there.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Jake5326 said:
Flt Medic:
W/the congo cage turned sideways, are you still able to fold back your softop? My buddy blasted and rhinolined his Garvin rack and it has held up beautifully. After initially ordering the Gobi, I discovered it wont be able to attach to my short bumpers, so back to the drawing board. I want to put a maggiiolia poptop up there.

no, probably not, but all you'd have to do is remove the two bolts on the ends of the front bars and use a rope or strap to tip the whole cage back on the rear hinges.

bit of work, but it can be done pretty easily, wouldn't you say medic?

i have mine rotated the same way with a homebrew rack on it.

Zeero

Adventurer
Your bumpers on your JK shouldn't be an issue with the Gobi rack as it connects to the frame under the bumper?

I could be wrong, but thats my understanding of that system....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online