Jeep versus Land Cruser ?

BillTex

Adventurer
Hi All, didn't know which forum to post this in as the question refers to both vehicles...

I have owned 3 jeep CJ's in the past (71-79-83) now that there is a 4 door, it makes a good argument for a Family vehicle and it looks like we will get one sometime in the next year or so (Wife's Suby is getting old...)

Back in the day, My Buddy had an FJ40 and the (hard) top was removable just like the Jeeps.
Didn't Toyota miss the boat by not making the top removable on the new LC?
Am I missing something?

Here is a stupid question; if you get the dual top option with the Jeep...how do you get both tops home from the dealer???
Do you drive home with the hard top on and stuff the soft top in the back seat?
Will all the hardware fit?
Do I have to follow her with my truck and put the extra top in the bed?

Is it a good idea to get both tops? (I only had soft tops) Here in New England, I think the Wife would appreciate the hard top in winter...

I know the new sof tops are much improved...for those that bought only the soft top, and live in a cold climate, are you OK with just the soft, or do you wish you had both?
Did you go back and buy the hard top after?
Or vice versa?

Tx, Bill

toymaster

Explorer
A jeep with both tops will have the soft top inside of the cab under the hard top. Of course, the soft top will not be pulled up. The soft top will be sitting with the canvas wrapped in the cargo area and the framework along the sides. All you have to do is pull the hard top and bolt in the soft top.

I would suggest since your wife will be driving it to get the hard top. I have just the soft top in a cold climate and do not miss a hard top but mine is not a daily driver. If you want to save some money the soft top does a great job of holding in the heat or cold air. To me the only reason to get a hard top is for the added security, where I live there is no crime to speak of. With a soft top only you have to deal with the scratches but, you know this. IMO the hard top makes it a more civilized vehicle.

zimm

Expedition Leader
with the advent of AC, soft tops became a safety/security liability on a purpose built truck for the third world.

7x landcuisers arnt marketed as funmobiles anymore.

in that manor, its funny how two tucks so alike can be so different in intent.

BillTex

Adventurer
A jeep with both tops will have the soft top inside of the cab under the hard top. Of course, the soft top will not be pulled up. The soft top will be sitting with the canvas wrapped in the cargo area and the framework along the sides. All you have to do is pull the hard top and bolt in the soft top.

IMO the hard top makes it a more civilized vehicle.

So, theoreticaly, you can "store" the soft top inside the hard top equipped Jeep?
As opposed to say, keeping it in your garage all winter...

Yes, civilized Jeep...the Wife may prefer that during the colder months...

Tx, Bill

zimm

Expedition Leader
ive owned toyotas for years, but the owners are brand myopic, and everyone covets what they cant have.

to be honest tho, in the US theres no logical reason to by a 7x landcruiser over a rubicon even if offered. less room in all but the troopy, less comfort, plenty less fun, too much money, and considering how far jeeps have come... i think the reliability issue, while not being totally debunked, would soon become a non issue. jeeps simply arnt breaking down left and right.

toymaster

Explorer
So, theoretically, you can "store" the soft top inside the hard top equipped Jeep?...

Short answer is no. The top is there technically for shipping purposes only and Chrysler says to remove them from the passenger compartment. When bolted in they occupy the same space as the hard top. When not bolted in they serve as a safety hazard. Lose stuff flying around in the cab during a wreck is not good. It is technically possible to have the soft top in the jeep but not advisable.

Clutch

<---Pass
ive owned toyotas for years, but the owners are brand myopic, and everyone covets what they cant have.

No, not really, I have 5 different vehicle brands currently...only one is a Toyota.

A vehicle is only a means...just saying the US of A can't get the core Cruiser that stuck to its roots, anymore. Is it a shame...sure...am I going to slit my wrist over it...not likely.

haven

Expedition Leader
"no logical reason to by a 7x landcruiser over a rubicon"

Well, other than cargo capacity and interior room and international support, three categories where the 70 series is head and shoulders superior to the Wrangler. There are good reasons why the Expeditions 7 folks are not driving Wranglers.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/74048-EXPEDITIONS-7-ANNOUNCING-A-GLOBAL-ADVENTURE

I suppose the point is moot, since you can't buy a 70 series in USA. The four door Wrangler is a reasonable choice as a family vehicle.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
"no logical reason to by a 7x landcruiser over a rubicon"

Well, other than cargo capacity and interior room and international support, three categories where the 70 series is head and shoulders superior to the Wrangler.

better drivetrain too, in my opinion.
I just think there's a reason the rest of the world uses the TLC over most everything else...It's tested, proven, and legendary.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
While I think the JK series is a pretty darn good vehicle it is lacking in the utility area. If you look at the 70 series its plain BASIC inside compared to the modern wrangler. Most American's would turn there noise up at that. For me, and a lot of people here, I think its a bonus to have a simple clean interior. Beyond that I think the other area the wrangler could use improvement in is field serviceability. Today its REALLY hard to find a vehicle with wheel bearings that can be replaced, especially in the front, and especially without a press. I miss the days of being able to actually repack the wheel wheel bearings, set the pre-load on the bearings, etc. Having to do things like that gets the owner more involved with the vehicle and gives them a better knowledge of the components.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Today its REALLY hard to find a vehicle with wheel bearings that can be replaced, especially in the front, and especially without a press. I miss the days of being able to actually repack the wheel wheel bearings, set the pre-load on the bearings, etc. Having to do things like that gets the owner more involved with the vehicle and gives them a better knowledge of the components.

I get what your saying but, I repack the front wheel bearings on my jeep every six months and every six months, with grease up to my elbows, I look out the garage door at the 3 other unit bearing 4x4s I own and thank God I only have one jeep.:)

jdzl

While I think the JK series is a pretty darn good vehicle it is lacking in the utility area. If you look at the 70 series its plain BASIC inside compared to the modern wrangler. Most American's would turn there noise up at that. For me, and a lot of people here, I think its a bonus to have a simple clean interior. Beyond that I think the other area the wrangler could use improvement in is field serviceability. Today its REALLY hard to find a vehicle with wheel bearings that can be replaced, especially in the front, and especially without a press. I miss the days of being able to actually repack the wheel wheel bearings, set the pre-load on the bearings, etc. Having to do things like that gets the owner more involved with the vehicle and gives them a better knowledge of the components.

A JK Sport is pretty basic, save for the dash maybe? Behind that there's carpet that pulls out in literally 5 minutes and leaves bare metal, some plastics in the way back that pull out in 5 minutes. Manual locks and windows and a bare shell behind the drivers seat in less than 15 minutes.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
True for the sport, but as you add things like the rubicon package things start getting less basic. I have heard that it is possible to get a manual window JKU with some creative package options.

I do agree that Jeep is trying, but what I would really like to see is a line item ordering system for ALL possible options. It would be nice if they added a more utilitarian 2-door long wheelbase version with a flat cargo floor. I think jeep underestimates the need for a SMALLER higher load capacity utility vehicle in the USA and abroad ( like the J8 ). I see no reason the J8 couldn't pass crash standards with a bumper change.

Unit bearings work great right up till the point that they don't. I actually like unit bearings better than semi-float rear axles. At least with the unit bearing you can replace the unit pretty easy. With the bearing on a semi-float rear axle you pretty much HAVE to have a press to do it, and when the bearing fails completely it generally takes out the axle along with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3