Jeep versus Land Cruser ?

landcrusier and jku

I have owner a 77 cj golden eagle (78 and 82 )2 toy pickups 1 ford bronco 78, 1 forerunner 84, 2 suburbans 2500. 1 blazer 95 2 door, 1 landcruiser 97 fj 100, and 1 hummer h-3, and now a 08 rubicon. based upon my experience the best performing in term of go any where doanything is the rubicon, followed by the 97, fj 100 landcruiser 95 and 2 door blazer best in a wyoming blizzard was the older solid axle suburban. best for all around fun Jeep rubicon, I have he 2 tops soft and hard and a bikini top also. the jeep has for for after market support than anything so pretty much anything you can think of you can get, I loved the landcrusier but it cost a lot to modify. arb bumper 10 k winch tmj rear bumper, and tire rack. As far as the new landcruiser goes there is a lot of support for that too. but no convertible and independent front axle.=weaker. The new jeeps 11 and 12 you can ge heated seated and leather, ironically you can put that stuff in in the older 07 - 10 jeep form the dealer. I say go jeep Its where I began and where I ended up and it used to be an american company. still is?

toymaster

Explorer
better drivetrain too, in my opinion.
I just think there's a reason the rest of the world uses the TLC over most everything else...It's tested, proven, and legendary.

Tested, proven, and legendary also aptly describe the Jeep. Even more so since it was the original :coffee:. There is one reason the "rest of the world" chooses toyota and one reason only... "availability".

The LC, some Rovers, and the wrangler are all great vics for me the reason to drive one over the other is to drive which ever ones puts a smile on your face. :ylsmoke:

JPK

Explorer
Haven, try the whole quote for context, eh?

ive owned toyotas for years, but the owners are brand myopic, and everyone covets what they cant have.

to be honest tho, in the US theres no logical reason to by a 7x landcruiser over a rubicon even if offered. less room in all but the troopy, less comfort, plenty less fun, too much money, and considering how far jeeps have come... i think the reliability issue, while not being totally debunked, would soon become a non issue. jeeps simply arnt breaking down left and right.

Particularly this portion, which you omitted, "..., in the US theres no logical reason to by a 7x landcruiser over a rubicon even if offered. less room in all but the troopy..."

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Tested, proven, and legendary also aptly describe the Jeep. Even more so since it was the original :coffee:. There is one reason the "rest of the world" chooses toyota and one reason only... "availability".

The LC, some Rovers, and the wrangler are all great vics for me the reason to drive one over the other is to drive which ever ones puts a smile on your face. :ylsmoke:

I had an 07 JKU...built up smartly...it fell apart. All my friends in high school had jeeps that also fell apart.
They're great for weekend warriors, they really are. And the ability to throw the top down is great, I still miss being able to take off the doors..

But, my Land Cruiser is better built, in my opinion, and thats what matters to me. It keeps me from following that old Jeep saying "Just Empty Every Pocket."
(granted that the cruiser is a tad fuel thirsty)

I don't understand it, but it seems a large majority of "Jeep guys" have little respect for anything not JEEP...

I also highly doubt that the "only reason" they're chosen amongst the rest of the world is availability. Could it be that they are more purpose built with more variations to meet specific needs?

toymaster

Explorer
^^^^ It sounds to me your 'smartly built-up' jeep was not built right at all if it fell apart. Or, could be abused by the owner.

Japan has to seek markets outside of its own boundaries. They build and produce their products for more markets than the U.S. based jeep builders ever did. I really doubt you will ever find a AMC (they built jeeps before Chrysler) vic outside of North America. Only in the last few decades have American auto makers sought other markets. Like I said 'availability'.

When buying a pleasure 4x4 I could have afforded any vic out there. After being in Africa and Europe I really liked the 110s but in the end the Jeep is a better vic and I could not justify the extra premium of other brands. I made the same type decision a few years prior with my sport bike.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think you will have a hard time finding any rational person to back up your Jeep vs. Toyota claim due to availibility. I have owned a new Jeep and currently have an FJ. Loved the Jeep and it was trouble free, but not of the same engineering, or fit and finish of the Toyota. If Jeep could compete with the 70 series in third worlds then they would.

yj4trails

Observer
There are drawbacks to both the hard-top and soft top. I personally would get both. Storage for the hard-top is a bit of a pain when not on the jeep. Winter time the soft top windows get messed up from road grime and or de-icer. Jeep-vs-landcruiser???? Not a fight I would get in. I like both, though I own a jeep. Best of luck on your decision...

BillTex

Adventurer
There are drawbacks to both the hard-top and soft top. I personally would get both. Storage for the hard-top is a bit of a pain when not on the jeep. Winter time the soft top windows get messed up from road grime and or de-icer. Jeep-vs-landcruiser???? Not a fight I would get in. I like both, though I own a jeep. Best of luck on your decision...

Thanx...and thanx to all.
No decision to be made really, it will be Jeep for us...after being out of the game for a while I was just curious why the new Toyota doesn't have a removable top...thats one of the things I remember of the FJ's from my youth. Seems like that is 1/2 the fun of having one of these types of vehicles.
Having owned 3 Jeeps in the past, I understand everything that is Jeep (for better/worse) I have to think todays are "expo"nentialy better than the 71 I started with...

Other than the occasional fires from the external electric fuel pump on the 71 (nothing a cold beer couldn't douse) I never had any real quality issues with the Jeeps. I have always found proper maintanence to be the best QC.

With todays technology...you can't really buy a "bad" vehicle.

Later, Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal