Jeep WJ questions

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
that is a good thread, i've been lurking around jeep forum for the last couple days

and i see what you all say about the v8, but i still like the I6, idk why haha, and as far as lacking power, its rated at 195hp @ 4600rpm, the 5.0 v8 in my truck is only 199hp @ 4200 rpm and its much heavier, so i dont think i'm too worried about the power but i am going to look at a v8 tonight just to see

K2ZJ

Explorer
that is a good thread, i've been lurking around jeep forum for the last couple days

and i see what you all say about the v8, but i still like the I6, idk why haha, and as far as lacking power, its rated at 195hp @ 4600rpm, the 5.0 v8 in my truck is only 199hp @ 4200 rpm and its much heavier, so i dont think i'm too worried about the power but i am going to look at a v8 tonight just to see

Yes but you also have 275 lb/ft of torque! vs 225 for the Jeep.

From Wiki:

5.0 L V8 1994–96 205 hp (153 kW) 275 lb·ft (373 N·m) 195 hp (145 kW) for automatic

Topgun514

Adventurer
Maybe post something similar (if you haven't already) in the Xterra forum. Even being a Jeep guy I do like the Xterra reliability and they have some great rigs that are very capable. I saw the Nissan crew in Moab a few years back and they are more than able to compete with a grand cherokee.

From- a Jeep Guy.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
well i went and looked at this jeep

http://www.shenangohonda.com/used/Jeep/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee-f26b33620a0d048d00d6333701c9457d.htm

it drove really nice, the quadra-trac II worked pretty well, tested it in a gravel lot, it plenty of power, super clean, all power, heated leather and its a one owner, basically the only downfall was it was lacking some serious head room (i'm 6'5") and i need to recline the seat back to get comfy and then you may as well forget anyone sitting in the back seat

i haven't ruled out a WJ yet, today is the first day my truck is on the market so i'm gonna go try another one or two and see how i feel and maybe try an xterra too, reason i like the WJ over the X is the price and ease to lift it with the solid front axle vs ifs

toymaster

Explorer
^^^^^^^^ Normal roof is sheet metal and headliner. The sunroof mechanisms are thicker than that. The distance between the metal roof and the headliner is increased thereby reducing inside cabin space.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
makes sense, but i really wanted a sunroof haha but i don't think it would make much difference because i was still looking at the visor, i'm gonna have to go try another one and see how i feel again

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Sunroof can also limit the size/type of roof rack you will use as well. I may be going to look at a few WJ's soon for kicks, might be time to upgrade one of my ZJ's.

tizzdizz

Geologist
Getting a limited, you should end up with a full set of good stock Mopar skid plates, which I don't think are always included with Laredos. The Overland includes rock sliders, which are pretty slick, too.

I bought my '03 WJ Limited last January after having a '99 XJ. I lifted it 4" and put 32s on it, and it's great. I did a fair amount of research before buying, and would have gotten an Overland if I could find one that wasn't beat up. Still love my Limited though, and having gone from a peppy 4.0 I6 in the smaller XJ to a powerful 4.7 V8 (non-High Output) I am very glad I got the V8. I just can't imagine the 6 having enough grunt to give you a lot of confidence offroad. The torque is real nice to have.

On my old Cherokee, I went from 28" tires to 31" tires on stock gearing, and it was quite a lot slower. On my Grand Cherokee, I went an inch bigger with my tires, and the V8 has enough grunt that I don't feel the need to regear. If anything, I may get a chip, cold air intake, and exhaust down the road, but I still get a grin when I put my boot in it. Really, there's no downside to the v8.

I will say that mine came with a detailed carfax which says it was in the dealer a lot for the HVAC system, and when I bought it at 125k, it was still not operating right. It works well enough for me (it's a weekend warrior), but it does suck that it's not how it could be. I would prefer a simple HVAC system, but that's really my ONLY complaint. I love my WJ. It's very comfortable, very affordable when compared to other similar SUVs (4runner), and the solid front axle is awesome when you need articulation.

Whichever engine you get, I STRONGLY recommend replacing the rear sway bar as one of the first things you do. The front is pretty stout, but the rear is so puny it may as well not even be there. It leads to some unsettling tail wag, which I felt I was always overcorrecting for on the freeway. I installed an Addco 1" rear swaybar and greasable mounts/bushings, and the difference is night and day. Even with the lift, it feels very stable and planted.

Note the difference in stock vs. Addco swaybar:
IMG_1653.jpg

Here it is stock:
IMG_0668.jpg

4" lift and 32" tires:
IMG_1114.jpg

Last edited:

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
i'm going to look at a few more tonight, there are 3 within a few miles of each other, all are laredos, all I6 engines, 2 w/ select trac one with quadra drive

the main one i'm going to look at doesn't have a sunroof, is an '03 w/ 96k miles and they are asking $8995, which isn't a bad price compared to some but is over blue book and the one right around the corner is an '04 with 109k miles and they only want $6995, so i'm gonna have to do some negotiating and get the price knocked down

as far as which package i get, there isn't much choice around here, it's gonna come down to the one with the drive train i want and the condition its in then i'll just deal with whatever package it has, i'm not gonna rock crawl it (there are no rocks here), there are barely any "legal" places to wheel, so its mainly gonna see forest roads and expedition type stuff, then after two years when i finish up school then it may become a toy

Dr.Grand

Learning as I go
I have a 2003 Laredo with the I6, 42RE, and Selec-trac. It has been nothing but good to me. It is bare-bones and I like it that way.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
just got back from lookin at those two, one was gone the other one for $8995 was really nice overall but was priced to high, the rear diff leaked and the valve cover leaked so that it was smoking when we stopped, both easy fixes but good reasons to drop the price, we low balled with $7500 he came back at $8500, so we played tough and walked out, if he wants the sale he'll call me back with a new price

good news is, now i know that with no sunroof and the power seat adjusted down i have more than enough head room which makes me extremely happy after test driving that other one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach