Jeep Wrangler 2024 Upgrade rumors...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the current e-lockers are the best thing possible - but remember, it's not about having the best thing possible. It's about having a good solution that doesn't increase the price of the vehicle, or reduce profit. ie. it's a cost balance.

The Wrangler (other than the 392) doesn't make the power or have the abuse of the TRX and the like, so it does not need the same axles.

-Dan

I'm not saying the Jeep will get the Ram TRX axle. If I had to guess, I would say the rumored HD rear axle they are going to do will be the 'Dana 50' axle ( Advantek M235 ) that is being used in the back of the Bronco Raptor. I don't think they will do full float, but it would be nice if they did to get ahead of the axle flange bending issues they are having on heavier JLU and JTs. The Advantek M235 has the updated locker design already in the Bronco Raptor, my guess is that they will just use that tech instead of developing another older locker design for that new axle housing.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've had many old manual Jeeps and the one before my current one was a JKU 6 speed. I hated it. It was a dog. Horrible in generally every circumstance and I've always been a manual fan in about every kind of vehicle. The new 8 speed selectable automatic in the JLU is magic on road and off, IMO.

I hope we see the stronger 8hp70 automatic transmission trickle down into the more normal models like with the EcoDiesel. I think the Hurricane SO engine ( at about 400hp ) would force that if it was offered in the base trim models like the Sport. Fingers crossed.

smbisig

Adventurer
An insider with direct knowledge once told me the lockers Jeep use in the Rubicon have been extremely, EXTREMELY reliable over the years. They basically never have warranty or failure issues (unlike, for example, the sway bar disconnect on the JK Rubicon).

That insider told me Jeep are extremely happy with the e-lockers they use. Based on that, why would they change?

-Dan

When I worked at ARB, the Air Locker we developed to replace the factory JK and JL Rubicon locker was one of our best-selling units:). Heck, we even worked directly with Dana and they sold complete replacement housings locked (no pun) and loaded with Air Lockers.

Going all the way back to the TJs (air actuated), people would send their broken factory lockers back to our warranty department thinking the air locker in the TJs Rubicons were ARBs. That was always a fun call and upsell (super discounted) to get them into an ARB Air Locker.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
When I worked at ARB, the Air Locker we developed to replace the factory JK and JL Rubicon locker was one of our best-selling units:). Heck, we even worked directly with Dana and they sold complete replacement housings locked (no pun) and loaded with Air Lockers.

I know ARBs air lockers are good, but everyone I've met on a long-term expedition using them had reoccurring problems with their air lines and were sick to death of them.
It seems inevitable once the time-frame is long enough.

-Dan

smbisig

Adventurer
I know ARBs air lockers are good, but everyone I've met on a long-term expedition using them had reoccurring problems with their air lines and were sick to death of them.
It seems inevitable once the time-frame is long enough.

-Dan

Lol, every time I hear that statement it makes me cringe. It's really not that hard to route the air lines properly. A good rule of thumb, run the airlines following the brake lines, even from the frame down to the axle, and keep them away from the exhaust! Happens way too often. The airlines should outlast your vehicle if run properly. My YJ has over 200K miles on them, the same airlines, different lockers (axle swaps), and different compressors over the lifespan.

My Gladiator now has about 35K on front and rear air lockers with the upgraded ARB 6mm lines. I am confident the lines and lockers will outlast the Jeep lol.

Cheers!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Lol, every time I hear that statement it makes me cringe. It's really not that hard to route the air lines properly. A good rule of thumb, run the airlines following the brake lines, even from the frame down to the axle, and keep them away from the exhaust! Happens way too often. The airlines should outlast your vehicle if run properly. My YJ has over 200K miles on them, the same airlines, different lockers (axle swaps), and different compressors over the lifespan.

My Gladiator now has about 35K on front and rear air lockers with the upgraded ARB 6mm lines. I am confident the lines and lockers will outlast the Jeep lol.

Cheers!

The main issue I have dealt with on ARB lockers are the high speed rotary seals leaking. If you get them installed PERFECT they last a good long time....but if you don't....or if you have to pull the carrier to replace a ring and pinion at some point....they don't. The other issue is usually something leaking from the bulkhead fitting to where the line is brazed into the seal carrier. I'm not sure if it is the force of the gear oil on the copper tube, but the copper tube ALWAYS seems to have long term issues with fatigue. ( some versions and routings are easier than others ). Again....if you have to pull the diff this problem gets worse.

These reasons are why I prefer to have the locker shifting done external to the diff carrier. That just seems to be a much easier to manage service path for the locker in the long term. All the actuation issues can be dealt with external to the diff without having to remove the carrier. If you do have to pull the carrier for an axle or gear issues, the locker activation and carrier aren't as intertwined.....especially if you are in a non-shop setting.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
These reasons are why I prefer to have the locker shifting done external to the diff carrier. That just seems to be a much easier to manage service path for the locker in the long term. All the actuation issues can be dealt with external to the diff without having to remove the carrier. If you do have to pull the carrier for an axle or gear issues, the locker activation and carrier aren't as intertwined.....especially if you are in a non-shop setting.
That's the reason I installed an OX locker on my older Jeep and several for friends/family. Once the cable is adjusted correctly they are a zero maintenance design (knock on wood).

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That's the reason I installed an OX locker on my older Jeep and several for friends/family. Once the cable is adjusted correctly they are a zero maintenance design (knock on wood).

Agree, I really like the OX locker design. I have been running one for about 10 years in the rear axle of my flatty. I did the air shift version with the shift cylinder built into the cover.

OX is now supporting many of the Dana/Spicer Advantek axles. They would be my first choice for a new jeep build if it didn't have factory lockers.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
hurricane-twin-turbo-inline-six.jpg

I'm not going to hold my breath for early 2024 in the Wrangler, but I REALLY hope the the 400hp SO version makes it in the JL/JT platform. It would fit perfectly between the 300hp 2.0Turbo and the 500hp 392 Hemi.

And it's called the Hurricane for histories sake!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
So the new D44 full float rear axle means they upped the towing to 5000lbs, but I'm not seeing anything about payload.

Has anyone seen an official number yet?

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Well, the 2024 Wrangler for certain does have the door sticker... but I Can't read it.

We need someone to take a photo of this at EJS!

I take that back, I'm 99.9% sure that says 6550lbs / 2972kg
Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 9.08.25 AM.png

And this is a 4xe Rubicon.

What was the JL before this?
(OK I found a Forum post that says the 4xe Sahara was 6400lbs / 2903kg.)

So the new 4xe Rubicon has a GVWR about 150lbs higher than the old 4xe Sahara... but that might just be the Rubicon difference.

-Dan

Last edited:

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Well I'm bummed. With standard curtain airbags now and increased towing capacity, now I'm wanting one. Ugh...

I think it looks great. All of these updates were needed and help the brand. The Willys always needed a rear locker and will probably suffice for most of us.
I still don't understand why body-mounted mirrors haven't happened yet though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz