Jeeps in Camper mode

Topgun514

Adventurer
I want to get some ideas on how people camp.

When I go my checklist is as follows:

First Aid (bandaids, lotions, matches- the full first aid kit for burns, scrapes, trauma. I am Wilderness Advanced so I have most of it all)
Flashlights
Tent/ Sleeping bag/ Pad
Thin (Coleman Style) grill
Crappy Cooler (Food, water, etc)
Recovery/ Light Tools
Clothes

My Camper Mode is:
88 Jeep Cherokee

Seats folded down
Either Sleep in trunk or in tent. Typically tenting though. This depends on the safety and weather of the area.
Grill goes on the ground or a table- This is where I would love to expand my gear for some sort of folding table or something
I need Folding chairs
Depending on whether I sleep in the car or tent, my gear either stays in the back, or goes on the roofrack.

I will get some pictures, but I would love to see what you travel like and then how everything opens up in camping too.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
Here is mine in camper mode:

16147_1219375480802_1121340363_30735739_249753_n.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

I keep my first aid in a small pelican storm case and its got everything from sunburn aloe to gauze and Benedril.

Depending on the distance of travel I carry 1 or 2 jerry cans because my jeep only holds 10 gallons after some custom rock mods to the tank.

5lb propane for the coleman grill.

Hammock, sleeping bag, and tarp, or tent, ground pad, and sleeping bag.

100ft of old climbing rope

tools, 5-10 gallons of water, spare axle shafts/driveshafts

garmin 60csx, and nuvi 785

2 led maglights

spare gear oil, ps fluid, motor oil, tranny fluid (all in nalgenes in a toolbox)

there may be more, but thats all i can think of.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Camper Mode:
p3263303.jpg

Deployed:
p3273360.jpg

The dog and a clothing bag or 2 are normally in the back of the Jeep.

In the trailer:
10x10 kodiak tent
1 potty tent
1 potty
~ 24 gallons of water
5 gallons of fuel
propane
1 small infrared propane grill
1 propane stove
cooler (now fridge :) )
shovel/axle/highlift
Spare fluids (oil, gear oil, antifreeze premix)

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I have a Cherokee as well.

I can't do pics at work, but I generally camp with 1 passenger. If more, I utilize the roof rack.

Fridge
Awning for roof rack (Kirkham's Auto Canopy)
5lb propane for stove
folding Cabela's kitchen
small folding aluminum table
Pelican kitchen supplies box
Custom low profile box in cargo area for tools, fluids, recovery gear
Full size spare
5 gallon jerry can
CB
shovel
hi-lift
toolbox
Maine trilite wash station
Solar shower
Springbar Outfitter 3 tent
folding chairs

That's about it for the essentials, the rest of gear is based on location/weather.

Last edited:

FishPOET

Adventurer
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Wheeling Mode:
Tool box
Spare parts, fluids
First aid kit
Recovery kit: tow points, winch, tow strap, tree saver, snatch block, pull pal
Spare tire, tire plug kit, hylift with accessories, bottle jack
Flashlight, fire extiguisher, spare key
Ice chest, food & water, jacket
CB, 2m radio, APRS, cel phone
Maps, compass, GPSr, netbook, inverter
Jerry can with fuel, jerry can with water
Shovel, axe, gloves
Folding chairs
Winter runs: snow chains for each tire
44772_1471180591292_1586948477_1119174_620589_n.jpg

Trail Maintenance we add:
Hart hats
Bow saw, McLeod, pick axe, rock net, chain
45656_1471299914275_1586948477_1119580_6419925_n.jpg

45656_1471300234283_1586948477_1119588_675335_n.jpg

Camping mode we add:
Tent, sleeping bags, air mattress
Stove, propane, pots, pans, table
Lantern
Extra water jug
Porta Potty with enclosure, solar shower
IMG_0131.jpg

Base camp mode we add:
1999 Ford F250, 1988 Lance ES3000, 20’ car hauler
IMG_0970a.jpg

theksmith

Explorer
when it's just me, this is the majority of what i take:

P1070150.JPG

That's a tent-cot, weatherproof clothes bag (with clothes, toiletries, towel, etc), pillow, sleeping bag. not shown would be: small kitchen set with the essentials and a MSR reactor cooking system, 2.5 gallon scepter water container, a stocked igloo "14 CAN ICE CUBE MARINE" cooler, some wine, and sometimes firewood.

beyond that, the Jeep always contains:
multiple flashlights & headlamps, bug-out-bag with ample survival and first aid items, full toolkit, full assortment of spare parts, tire repair kit, full size spare, full size shovel and axe, hi-lift jack, factory jack, fire extinguishers, multi-tools and knives, baby-wipes, hat/jacket, mini jump-start battery pack (till i get dual batteries), battery trail welding kit, on-board-air.

when i take the family, we add an rei hobitat 6 tent (instead of the tent-cot) more chairs/sleeping bags/pillows/clothes bags, cots, a large table, coleman perfectflow instastart grill/stove combo, propane canisters, a larger igloo cooler, sometimes an rei screenhouse, a coleman propane or flourescent lantern

P1020540.JPG

Warhead

Adventurer
still sorting out the details, current mess:
355de45b.jpg

I am looking for a small pop-up camper (like a coleman colbalt) to modify for off road duty. I have thought of a RTT on a trailer but I like the idea of a pop up better for my needs. I also want a pop-up/trailer so I can use it with either my TJ or MJ

bluejeep

just a guy
Here's the 'minimalist' mode, which means I'm traveling by myself - deployed

attachment.php

Then If I'm traveling with one of the kids/grandkids I use a 5'x8' Quickdraw tent (no pics), and if I'm in basecamp mode (with Jeep trailered) I bring the Oztent RV3.

3 pelican cases for cooking gear, dry food, and misc. 1 or 2 dry bags for clothing and bedding.

too many misc recovery tools, regular tools, spare parts, firstaid, etc to list.

Attachments

• IMG00051-20100329-1003.jpg
    IMG00051-20100329-1003.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,317

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Here's the 'minimalist' mode, which means I'm traveling by myself - deployed

attachment.php

Then If I'm traveling with one of the kids/grandkids I use a 5'x8' Quickdraw tent (no pics), and if I'm in basecamp mode (with Jeep trailered) I bring the Oztent RV3.

3 pelican cases for cooking gear, dry food, and misc. 1 or 2 dry bags for clothing and bedding.

too many misc recovery tools, regular tools, spare parts, firstaid, etc to list.
:Wow1: Wow, I NEVER thought of going out the side like that. Way to think "outside the box" on that one mate. THat is too cool, I love it.

That right there, IMO, is about as cool as a Jeep set-up get's. I love the LJ's to begin with, but yours is extra awesome. oh and I LOVE YOUR TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!! Didi you build that or buy it if you don't mind my asking. If you built it I am simply stimied and massivly impressed. If bought it's still a gorgeous trailer and such a great compliment to an amazing Jeep. IMO that's about as versatile a combo as you can get eh. Drop the trailer and you've got a rig that can go pretty much anywhere (and actualy climb well thanks to the added W/B... LOVE those LJ's, I think it's a shame they didn't make a Mid W/B JK)And with the trailer I can only imagine it makes for one comfy Base camp too. It's like the best of both worlds. A crawl capable Jeep with a smart camper in tow. Lovely truck and trailer mate, it's simply fantastic!!!!

Did any of that make sence :D I'm clearly rambling now so I'll just stop while I'm behind ;)

Cheers

Dave

EDIT: wait, you're in OREGON????? I SWEAR I just saw your Jeep in Portland (in the Tigard area???) the other day. OR at least someone with the same fenders as yours. Always good to see a fellow Oregonian.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
1speed: I think you need to get some matching Skinny LTB's for your LJ :D that would look AMAZING. Again, LOVE your set-up with the LJ and trailer... definately :drool: worthy to say the least.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater