jk pop top?

gpwpat

Adventurer
I think you need to provide 3 acess points. 1 in the back, 1 over the drivers side rear seat, as that can be folded down and cargo in back can be left intact. and possible ladder from outside. I always liked this camper. but it is not on a jeep. if your camper top looks and functions like this I would be all over it. I also like how this camper top is at the slope but still gives a window at the front by the feet but would still be strong for windy situations. It may be a little more complex but that extra foot by the feet would be worth it in my opinion
medium_2002676809_32c6cffd0a_o.jpg

medium_2003467882_0238514485_o.jpg

640GrayClosed.JPG

Last edited:

Doin_It

Adventurer
The front third of the pop top is "useless" really,

What I sort of envision happening is that the bed would be attached to the roof. So when you lifted the roof, the bed goes with it, and the space you could use would be the back 2/3's of the truck, cause the front 1/3 has your 2 front seats in it. (In my case I would remove the back seats) So why have tent material going all the way around up top, when from a head room point of view, when the bed is up, you can't use the front portion from down below anyway.

You would let the bed down when you were off to sleep, and it would rest at the original roof line. I know what you mean about the small end of the "tent" , but either way you are going to be crawling into bed from down below if it is inside entry. Would you not get more head room inside if it was hinged at one end as in the AEV model? Or do you just put a larger lift in to the pop top to give you the same headroom?

Am I making any sense about it yet? :confused:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Played with the Jeep pop-up concept years back. We started with the TJ but they are were a challenge. I'll get into it but first here was our project showtruck. (click the "Camper Top" box)

http://www.landrunner.com/workshop.html

Looks a little dated now, this was one of our early Maggiolinas. The "Adventure" is still in production but sold only as a special order, being about about four to eight inches shorter than the more current versions sold in the states. The reason why I bring it up is to observe the scale on the jeep with a short pop-up.

Some background, this project was more of a whole system approach with the TJ. First challenge was weight, this tent is 115 pounds, not bad but where we had trouble was with are the racks systems at the time. Some of the early rack systems at that time were over 120 pounds and we wanted something stonger, like a roll cage. Crossbars were alloy to keep the weight down but the key was Landrunner with their exo-skeleton rack that came out surprisingly light, less than 50 pounds if memory serves. It was a very thin walled large diameter alloy steel that required special mandrels for fabrication. The goal was to keep the whole package less than 165 pounds all in. Even at that, you still felt the weight with the standard suspension. OK on dirt roads but not so good on a reverse camber overlooking a canyon. The reason for the "Hummer" Landrunner thing was for suspension. If you wanted oversized 32 inch tires on a early TJ, you needed a lift. Instead of lifting the Jeep, we lifted the fenders and offset the larger tires slightly for a better balance offroad.

Jeep loved the tent and rack system. Weren't too crazy about the Hummer thing. The rack system still is rather unique, doesn't interfere, raise or lower the softop, put on a hardtop, even lower the windshield, no problem and is light and strong.

Gold+Landrunner.jpg

The concept never gained traction, don't quite know why.

Rich

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Jeep loved the tent and rack system. Weren't too crazy about the Hummer thing. The rack system still is rather unique, doesn't interfere, raise or lower the softop, put on a hardtop, even lower the windshield, no problem and is light and strong.

Gold+Landrunner.jpg

The concept never gained traction, don't quite know why.

Rich
That thing is awesome!

Hi everyone,
Aev built a prototype for sema a few years back, however it looks like they have no plans to build one!

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehic...jk_outpost.php

Its not off the table, it comes up at our new product meetings all the time. The prototype is all electric and was designed to lift 350lbs because the thought of taking a bunch of kayaks off the roof after a long drive late at night in the rain didn't interest me. The thing works great but I'd make a bunch of changes now that I've lived with it for a while :)

dh

Its not off the table, it comes up at our new product meetings all the time. The prototype is all electric and was designed to lift 350lbs because the thought of taking a bunch of kayaks off the roof after a long drive late at night in the rain didn't interest me. The thing works great but I'd make a bunch of changes now that I've lived with it for a while :)

dh

Given all the buzz around JK pop-tops, maybe it's time to "up the ante" from one-off prototype to full production. :coffeedrink: I know the difference between keeping the XJ or buying a JK could hinge on the availability of a system such as this; and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :ylsmoke:

I suspect many would appreciate the ability to hold AND lift that much weight.

What kind of changes?

Perhaps it's time for a dedicated thread??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3