JK Rooftop tent mounting options.

coastie kyle

Observer
Switched from the MBRP to the GOBI because I had a hardtop, and wanted a soft top with a rack, but still be able to lower and raise the soft top.

MBRP-
pros:
Solid and supports much more weight than you could ever need (800lbs advertised). Modular, and easy to convert to a full front to back rack. Thick beefy 2" bars. Easier to remove hard top because of the handels on the sides.
Cons:
2" bars make it hard to mount a RTT or awning. You have to make custom brackets, and buy longer bolts. Permanently mounted to the hard top. Hard top weights a lot more. Slight corrosion around the joints. Comes as a half rack only, meaning if you want a full rack you have to pay the extra $400 for the extension.
2011-02-07_11-07-16_179.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

GOBI-
Pros:
No cutting, no drilling install. Thick steel mesh flooring in between 1" crossbars. Designed for a RTT. Full front to back rack with stand alone light bar. Easy to use with a soft top by tilting. Easy to remove rack and rear section leaving just the front light bar (Looks great this way). Light tabs front and back. Easy to mount an awning or RTT with little mods. Additional removable front floor section for carrying more gear.
Cons:
Slight corrosion around the quicks disco area. I cant think of anything else.
2011-03-19_09-06-46_419.jpg

2011-03-27_14-35-06_175.jpg

Just the light bar. My favorite setup.
2011-10-05_16-17-37_881.jpg

2011-10-16_12-03-03_851.jpg

I have a crap load more pictures if you want to see something else.

Last edited:

userfehler

Hi Kyle

Thank you! I was not sure if the MBPR was strong enough to carry a RTT without the front extension but from your pictures it clearly seems to be.

Cheers,
Florian

coastie kyle

Observer
Oh yea it absolutly is. Its stronger than the GOBI, but the GOBI is a more practical rack IMO. Cheaper too if you add in the cost of the MBRP front extension.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Switched from the MBRP to the GOBI because I had a hardtop, and wanted a soft top with a rack, but still be able to lower and raise the soft top.

GOBI-
Pros:
No cutting, no drilling install. Thick steel mesh flooring in between 1" crossbars. Designed for a RTT. Full front to back rack with stand alone light bar. Easy to use with a soft top by tilting. Easy to remove rack and rear section leaving just the front light bar (Looks great this way). Light tabs front and back. Easy to mount an awning or RTT with little mods. Additional removable front floor section for carrying more gear.
Cons:
Slight corrosion around the quicks disco area. I cant think of anything else.

I am also looking to put a Gobi Stealth + RTT on my JKU. Did you have to add crossbars or remove the basket to add the RTT? It appears (hard ot see) that the basket is removed.

coastie kyle

Observer
No the only part of the rack that is removable is the front extension area. I did not remove or add anything to mount a tent. It comes ready for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater