Joined the Dark Side...traded a T4R for a YJ (The Black Jeep Build)

Caoboy

Adventurer
Thanks for the info JKOperator.

I looked up the trackbars/swaybars, I noticed something was missing and figured they were sways. on the Jeepforum people there say ditch them and be done with it. No worries there then. I'll look into fixing that leaf spring bolt.

I'm zeroing in on OME HD for the lift kit and BFG 31x10.50's. I'll need the tires first as I can't fit the 33x12.50's that are on there now. They are getting down in tread anyways.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Can you ditch the sways and trac bars? Well, yeah....and While you'll not miss the trac bar since (IMHO) its FAR less useful on a leaf sprung Jeep than one with links/coils...You'll prob. want to think about putting the front sway bar back on at least. Just get some quick disconnects for when you hit the dirt and want a little more flex. But you may find the sway bar helps in your street driving impression. Of course you may not. *shrugs*
Sucks about the tailgate but at least you know better than the previous owner. And you have a couple options for replacing it too. You can just find one in a JY and keep it as is. Or... you could find a drop down style tailgate (far more functional to me) from an older CJ and use that. Takes a very little effort to make it work but I prefer the "normal" style of gate. Lets me park my butt somewhere when I'm not doing much. :)

Caoboy

Adventurer
Sway bar was gone when I got the Jeep, didn't notice, nor did it come with it. I'll look for one.

It's not swaying that is the problem, but rather the bounciness of the ride that is bugging us. It is bucking over bumps (at least that's how it feels) it rides the same off road (almost better off road) as being on the street. Highway driving is not bad, but in the city, it's bad.

Good suggestion on the tail gate, I was wondering how they did that. I'm going to hit up the local pick n pull soon, I know they have a few older jeeps there. They even have some mail jeeps! That'd be cool to have that barn door style hard top lol.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Re-torqued the shackle bolts to 60lbs per http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/leaf-spring-advice-1390833/index4.html and it seems to have loosened up the springs a bit. All of them were much tighter than that. I'm wondering if new (better) shocks and bushings in the leaf springs would set the ride soft enough, rather than tearing into the whole suspension?

Also, I smogged, registered, and insured the rig today. It was about 200 dollars a year cheaper to insure it. I'm liking this rig more and more! :D

It passed smog with pretty low emissions too.

Last edited:

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
Shocks and bushings would be a start but you are still tearing into the suspension to replace the spring bushings.

The OME HD may be just as stiff if not stiffer. If they are designed like the HD JK suspension the ride would only be better if you had the Jeep loaded with gear and accessories.

It's a JustEmptyEveryPocket. If it isn't going towards insurance it's going somewhere else.:sombrero:

Last edited:

Caoboy

Adventurer
I'm planning on actual bumpers with a tire carrier in the rear, and for the front, something that'll hold a winch.

I only re-torqued the shackle side of the springs. Should I do the perches as well? I didn't see anything mentioned on that other thread if those should be torqued the same poundage, so I didn't want to mess something up. Still doing research before I tear into everything.

Going to run by some junkyards and see if I can find anything. I'll swoop on that shackle bolt to replace the 'replacement'.

I'm itchin' to tell my Toyota buddies I got a Solid Axle Swap and am running 33's now :D

Caoboy

Adventurer
Speed checked the rig, the speedo is about 8mph too slow. 60mph on my speedo = 68mph per my GPS.

Found some GT Radial MT 31x10.5's that I'll be downgrading to, as it is hard to hold anything more than about 60mph on the highway. I'm constantly in 4th gear, 5th is almost nonexistent. Those will be going on in the beginning of August. My buddy is running these in a 33" and he loves them. I originally wanted to just spring for some more BFG AT's but it's a weekend rig, I don't mind having tread wear out more.

Also looking at the BDS 2.5" suspension. Originally I wanted OME, but researching a bit on JeepForum showed me BDS. I like the NO BS Warranty they have. I break it, they replace it. Word on JF is that I'll be happy with either suspension. I say why not save a little bit of money, and keep some of us Americans employed a bit longer? Any Nay sayers to BDS? I'd like some input if you have some.

I'm pretty sure I currently have a 4" ProComp suspension package. Doesn't matter, I'll be giving those to a guy who will weld my tailgate back to working condition, and help me build some bumpers. :D He's going to be throwing those on his CJ5 that he's building, with a 350, D44HD's and 35's. He said he wants to try out the fronts at least.

Last edited:

cyberspace_7

Found some GT Radial MT 31x10.5's that I'll be downgrading to, as it is hard to hold anything more than about 60mph on the highway. I'm constantly in 4th gear, 5th is almost nonexistent.

Basically you only have four gears in these babies! Fifth is overdrive just to lower the RPMs a bit at high speeds! So NOTHING to worry about! I forget to shift into fifth all the time at speed! Nice looking rig and congrats!

marcall

Observer
Speed checked the rig, the speedo is about 8mph too slow. 60mph on my speedo = 68mph per my GPS.

Found some GT Radial MT 31x10.5's that I'll be downgrading to, as it is hard to hold anything more than about 60mph on the highway. I'm constantly in 4th gear, 5th is almost nonexistent. Those will be going on in the beginning of August. My buddy is running these in a 33" and he loves them. I originally wanted to just spring for some more BFG AT's but it's a weekend rig, I don't mind having tread wear out more.

Also looking at the BDS 2.5" suspension. Originally I wanted OME, but researching a bit on JeepForum showed me BDS. I like the NO BS Warranty they have. I break it, they replace it. Word on JF is that I'll be happy with either suspension. I say why not save a little bit of money, and keep some of us Americans employed a bit longer? Any Nay sayers to BDS? I'd like some input if you have some.

I'm pretty sure I currently have a 4" ProComp suspension package. Doesn't matter, I'll be giving those to a guy who will weld my tailgate back to working condition, and help me build some bumpers. :D He's going to be throwing those on his CJ5 that he's building, with a 350, D44HD's and 35's. He said he wants to try out the fronts at least.

I've only heard good things about BDS. You mentioned the bouncy ride early in your Jeep. That's just normal imo with the short wheelbase jeep and it's flex suspension.

SSRx7

I swapped a 4.0 into my '88 yj, along with the AX-15 tranny. I have low(numerically) gears (lower 3.07:1) with 31x10.5 tires, and I cruise at 70mph with no problem in 5th gear all the time. I'm more into exploring rather than rock climbing, so tall gears (numerically high) and larger tires aren't that important to me. I do have to down shift on some of the bigger hills in the area. You can go to quadratecs online catalog and they have a speedo gear chart their that you can change your speedo reading. It's pretty simple, one bolt holds the speed sensor in the tail shaft of your transfercase, pulll the sensor out, pull the gear out, and put the new one in. The chart on QT's sight will factor in your tire size and axle gearing.

I put the "Posi-loc" cable on mine. This allows you to disconnect the front axle while still in low range for tight turns etc. It is about an hour install.

My yj can feel every pebble in the road, and it bucks going over bridge joints. Other than it drives on road very well. I replaced all the leaf spring bushings with Energy suspesion red polyurethane bushings. It is really easy with a floor jack and basic hand tools. Make sure you grease them well with the lube provided if you go with them.

Yes, my rear main seal leaks, but not that bad.

I have tube bumpers on mine and I like them. The rear bumper actually helps support my spare tire, so the tail gate isn't cracked. I plan on going with a bumper mounted swing out carrier in the future but it works fine the way it is for now. I also have a homemade highline hood (done by previous owner). This gives alot more articulation clearance for the front wheels.

I have pretty much gone through everything on this jeep, but am still not done. I need a new grill and other things. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Couple of pics for you to see how it looks with these bumpers:
0314121330.jpg0314121354.jpg
0511121331a.jpg0602121836.jpg

Attachments

• 0511121331.jpg
    0511121331.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Best way to match your gears to your tire size for over all driving is here...

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

the "charts" that are used by most catalog stores are kinda vague and just work in the ball park. You'll want to look at what was factory for your drive train/tire combo and see where the rpms fall at the normal speeds you drive. Then plug in the numbers to see what shows up. :)

Caoboy

Adventurer
Big thanks to a guy named Frank out in San Ramon!

He gave me a deal on a hard top and some smittybilt tube bumpers, for a grand total of $350.

The hard top looks like it has a quick clamp disconnect system. I don't know. I'll get pictures up later today, as I'm at work.

Anybody know of an installation writeup available? I haven't found anything in my searching yet. Nothing that is a 'soft top to hard top conversion' to help me along.

I believe I need to remove all the tub rails/windshield rail for the hard top to fit on, but I'm not sure. If that's the case, this top is going on and never coming off again, I'm not about to start removing/attaching things for an hour lol.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

SSRx7

Remove all the hardware (rails, etc) from the tub and windshield. You might want to check into some weatherstripping for the top. Depending on the year of the top, you may have to loosen the roll bars where they attache to the windsheild frame. Did you get the full steel doors with it?? If not you need to find some. Finding upper door halves that fit the factory hard top is very hard. If the top you are getting it from a tj, then you may find some upper halves that fit. Check online at Pirates and Quadratec, they have thousands of parts as well as information for you.

The hard top bolts on with four bolts and each side, (unless you use the clamps) and some screws in the windsheild frame. The hardest part is setting it in place by yourself. If you have someone helping you, it is simple.

Hope this helps.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Copy that.

I have clamps. There are also clamps on the front of the top, but they go to the driver/passenger side, not to the windshield. I'm confused as to where they would bolt to, unless there is supposed to be some attachment that the man didn't inform me of. I figure I can find replacement hardware once I figure out what I need.

I'll start pulling off the pieces for the softtop when I get home from work.

I'm so stoked though, the soft top is nice, but love the hardtop look! Not to mention added security!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater