Just Bought My First Toyota: A 2008 Tacoma Access Cab

Jeff H

Adventurer

2008 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 2TRFE

Suspension
-DR/Icon 2.5 Coilovers
-OMD Rear Leafs (Suburban Leafs Added to Toyota Main) (Not installed)
-Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks
-All-Pro Offroad U-Bolt Flip Kit (Not installed)

Wheels
-Stock 16x7 Steelies
Tires
-265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3s

Armor
-ARB Deluxe Bull-bar

Lighting
-Osram 70/65w H4 Headlight Bulbs (Awaiting Install)
-Philips GY6.35 Bulbs for Reverse Lights

Electrical
-Napa AGM 34R Main Battery
-Blue Sea ACR 7620 (Awaiting Install)
-Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block (Awaiting Install)
-Blue Sea/Cooper Bussman 100A Break (Awaiting Install)

Navigation/Stereo/Communication
-RAM Mount for iPhone 6S
-Kenwood DPX300U Head Unit for the Tunes
-Yaesu FT-7800R
-Yaesu Remote Mounting Kit
-Larsen 2/70B Antenna
-Breedlove Antenna Mount

Interior/Cargo
-Weathertech Floor Mats
-Leer 100RCC Cap

The Back Story:
The last few months I had toyed with getting rid of my project BMW, a 1986 E30 3 Series Coupe. I wasnt sure what I really wanted as my next expo ride so I drove an LR3, a few Jeeps, and even looked around for a 100 series Cruiser. I worked for a dealer that also had a Toyota franchise and spent some time driving Tacomas around as well. Yesterday the Bimmer got picked up by its new owner and I was left borrowing a friends Wrangler until I found something. It just so happened that the dealer I worked for through college had an 08 Tacoma sitting in the service area that needed a new front windshield and rear window. While I was working today I managed to work some numbers on the truck and got to look at it tonight.

Here's the truck when I got it

Its a 2008 Access Cab with the 2.7 and 5 spd with 137k on the odo. It was someone's work truck so it needs a good cleaning but otherwise its in pretty good shape! I picked it up for wholesale pricing too! I plan on making it my next exploration rig so I wasnt too picky on the miles.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Adventurer
Funny enough is it's not even in my driveway yet and I'm already trying to figure out my first mods to it. Looked it over today and it's sitting on 225/75s so it's getting some 265/70 or 265/75r16 ATs first.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
On my 2008 Taco, the 265/75R16 really killed the getup and go on my truck. If/When I get that gen truck again, I plan on only running 235/85R16's with the stock gearing. I couldn't even tow in 5th on the slightest highway hill with the bigger, heavier tires. I have seen others run 255/85R16's on stock gearing with a 4 banger but I can't imagine their clutch was happy. Just my feedback. Enjoy the truck, I miss the space of the Extra Cab and the fold flat floor in the back. That was my favorite feature and I wish they kept it through the whole line but they killed it in 09.

-jorge

Jeff H

Adventurer
Well I picked up the truck yesterday after work. It wasn't detailed so it was still a mess from the previous owner. How people can trash a vehicle the way this one was is beyond me. Mostly just little things such as putting out a cigarette on the drivers side mirror repeatedly or never cleaning the truck. So today I addressed a few of many small issues with the truck.

The interior as I got it

Stripped

Rust wire wheeled and primed

Bedlined

Clean carpet

I also wet sanded the headlights and polished them using a Meguiars kit.

Before

Comparison

I picked up some Cooper Discoverer AT3s on Friday as well. Despite losing a little mpg and power I decided to go with 265/75r16s as I wanted the larger ground clearance and I don't tow anything other than a small 4x8 trailer rarely.

New Shoes

The truck will be getting an alignment, the tires installed, and a thorough detail on Monday while I'm at work.

My next step is to paint the wheels white for now. Eventually I may pick up some of the Tacoma 16-hole wheels and have them powdercoated white.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Just bought my first Toyota.. a 2008 Tacoma Access Cab

Got the truck buffed and cleaned today as well as the tires put on.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
strong work...
I will be watching this one. I think that you will really like the 2.7
Sure you are not going to be winning any races but I have driven a lot of trucks and my little taco 4banger is by far my fav.
cheers

Jeff H

Adventurer
I managed to get a few more things done to the truck to baseline it. It got dropped off at the local Toyota dealer to address the spiral cable, seatbelt, and a few other small recalls. Nice thing is the airbag light is no longer on and I didn't have to pay to fix it! :wings:

The previous owner had a hitch ball mounted in the rear bumper that I removed and I replaced the rear bumper step trim as he backed into things one too many times. I also added some Weathertech floor mats which I love! I did have to modify the drivers side for the clutch pedal.

I also took a few obligatory pics at the State Park right by my house.

I have to say I'm loving this truck! The 265/75s did zap a little power but Im already used to where its at now and I'm completely satisfied. The next few mods I will be doing are replacing the deck with an iPod and Pandora-capable unit and getting a Tech Deck with Ram mount for my Nexus 7. I'll be sure to update as I install things..

Jeff H

Adventurer
Did this truck have the rear spring tsb done? If not, you may need to address that.

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

I'm not sure if it had it done. The previous service records are spotty at best. The only things I was able to look up were the recalls that needed addressed. Is there a way to tell if it has the TSB revised springs?

Jeff H

Adventurer
I just looked it up. It has the 3 leaf rear springs so I'm assuming the TSB hadn't been addressed on this truck. I will have to look into my options to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater