Keeping an iPad 12.9 Pro charged while using

unsung

So I use this for my navigation and I find that the typical BlueSea 1045 USB charger can't keep the iPad's battery from discharging. It only slows down the discharge.

The opening for a 1045 is a 1 1/8" hole. I suspect that the only way to keep the battery from discharging during use is to potentially install an inverter and 120V receptacle and use the actual iPad supplied charger.

I couldn't find any 120v outlets that would fit a 1 1/8' hole with a lockring like the 1045. Does anyone know of one?

Does anyone else have this issue and, if so, how were you able to resolve it?

ChasingOurTrunks

This will all come down to the watts that your charger puts out.

The iPad Pro charger comes with, I believe, an 18 watt charging brick. The MacBook bricks are 60 watts or more; they charge the iPad in a jiffy. The "old" iPhone chargers (the ones that are 1 inch rectangles) only put out 5 watts.

USB ports in your car probably only put out 0.5 watts, maybe 2.5 watts - either way, it's well shy of the wattage needed to keep the iPad charged while in use.

You'll need a solution that puts out at least 18 watts - I say that because that is the default charger for the iPad you are referencing, and that is powerful enough to get away with using the iPad while charging it indefinitely. You might get away with 15 watts or even 10 watts, but it'll largely depend on how hard the device is working with your given apps and setup.

There does appear to be higher watt USB ports you can get, like this one:

But I've never done it - the other thing to consider is how clean the power is. I know there is a desire for "pure sine wave" inverters when going that route because power spikes are bad for the devices, but that may not apply in a 12 volt system where you are going from your car/house battery into your iPad battery. Battery to Battery may not have an issue with "clean" power, but that may get more complex with the alternator putting out variable voltage.

Short version:

1) You need more watts
2) But those watts might need to be clean, and you don't want too many because that might be bad for your device.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Bluesea 1045 can do 2.4A per USB port, so it is indeed a 12W charger. It can do a total of 4.8A for both ports.

If you want to stick with this form factor there are other options that can provide higher current. AFAIK the iPad 12.9 Pro comes with a 20W USB-C charger.

The battery is probably around 40 W-hr and I've read that it will peak at 35 watts charging so would basically hit its maximum rate with a 30W or larger charger. So an 18W charger would probably keep an active iPad with its screen on at it's starting charge or allow it to slowly charge.

This one has one QC3.0 (18W using a USB A) and QC4.0 (it'll do 36W on a USB-C typically in a 12V car).

Or this one, which is a pair of QC3.0 (18W) ports.

One thing I've noticed is that Apple is strict about the charger being correctly designed, in particular in how the power delivery negotiation is done. If the charger is done in a non-standard way Apple devices are quick to default to a safe configuration.

All devices may do this, I have a Motorola phone from a few years ago that is only used for amateur radio stuff and it won't take more than 7.5W from one charger I have even though it's supposed to be capable of 30W. I use it as a dumb 5V supply but it's all but useless to anything modern. Looking inside it there's a USB controller chip marked T.I. but my best guess is it's counterfeit and so the phone assumes it's a plain USB 2.0 port.

Now that said Bluesea in my experience should not suffer from that problem, so as was said you just need a higher power USB adapter.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
According to use guidelines, and generally speaking, if you use the iPad while it’s charging it will charge slower. That could contribute to your problem.

Also, according to use guidelines, while it is OK to use the iPad when charging it, a “heavy use“ of the tablet while it’s charging can create a problem with excessive heat build up, which can damage the battery. I don’t really know what heavy use means though.

So you might put your hand on the back of it when it’s charging and you’re using it to check that heat up issue.

Just the other day during a very long drive, I had left my iPad plugged in to the dash charger and was using it for the entire afternoon for mapping. At one point I got a red flag notification on the screen and it shut down!

That warning basically was that the tablet was overheating, and would shut down automatically until it cooled off. I’ve never gotten that before. ?

unsung

It’s never shut down on me and I really use it for Gaia when out on the trail. Given that we are going to do the WYBDR this August I was trying to find a reliable way to keep it operating during the day when the device needs to have the brightness setting maxed. The supplied charger is 20w, so I figured worst case use that with a hard wired inverter.

I will look into some of the posted options, thank you all.

unsung

The Bluesea 1045 can do 2.4A per USB port, so it is indeed a 12W charger. It can do a total of 4.8A for both ports.

If you want to stick with this form factor there are other options that can provide higher current. AFAIK the iPad 12.9 Pro comes with a 20W USB-C charger.

This one has one QC3.0 (18W using a USB A) and QC4.0 (it'll do 36W on a USB-C typically in a 12V car).
I picked this one and will be installing it tomorrow. I'll provide feedback shortly after doing so. Thanks again.

screwball48

Explorer
I have used an ipad mini extensively for navigating all throughout the South East. Several 12+ hour days in a row for a few years. The battery does drain faster in areas with less cellular coverage as it was hunting for service. On several occasions with heavy use (video conferences while navigating and or reviewing documents) I would find myself switching my charging cord from my phone to my ipad and back just in time to keep them both from dropping below 20%. I could see where a higher output charger would be required were I running a larger ipad.

COAKXterra

I’ve used an iPad (whatever standard size model came out in 2020?) daily for work for navigation and documentation for months. Depending on what I’m flying, it either bluetooths to the aircraft or runs on cellular data or both for certain application support. Always stays on and plugged in while the aircraft is running. I’ll have to look at the wattage on the aircraft power supply but it generally holds charge well during that constant use, but will drop slowly through the day sometimes. I do know the power brick for that iPad from Apple says 20w on it, but I don’t use that for constant charging at work (no inverter) charge, just at home.

I will say that the iPad sits in direct view of the sun in a glass bubble for 3-7hrs a day, running, and plugged in. I’ve only started getting the “iPad too hot, cool immediately or shut down” warning in the last few weeks. Generally even vent air past it is enough, but I’ve had to pull it a few times and shade it. It’s mounted on a RAM roller mount with no real air flow and no auxiliary fan cooling. The times I’ve had to pull it, it is HOT. I dont let it sit dormant baking though when I’m shut down on a ramp anywhere. That’s a guaranteed overheat. I can’t say I’ve noticed a definitive change in battery performance due to those warming opportunities.

All that to say that I charge mine all day while using battery intensive apps in unfortunately direct sunlight and the summer heat has been the main kicker. Other than that, I’ve never had an issue for normal (non-work) use/charging off my vehicles through a decent usb charger.

I’ll try to remember to check output wattage tomorrow at the usb port in the aircraft and let you know. 5w seems to be sitting in my mind. But I’ve gone off direct wiring usb and a “cigarette adapter” usb with same results. But I’m also not an electricity wizard, and it’s all magic. So….

unsung

The Powerwerx device has performed perfectly and does not let the iPad discharge faster than it can charge. Highly recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle