Keiko the Tacoma - An Evolution of Needs

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 6 was from Ely to Los Angeles to see an old friend. I went by 6 partway, and then In Tonopah broke south through Goldfield, and then over into Death Valley National park. While hiking at the Arch slot canyon in DVNP, it started to pour. I ran all the way back to the car, leaving confused German tourists in my wake. :abused:
Highlights of the day were Lunar Crater, and Scotty's Castle.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 7 was a trip around LA to see where my father was born (family still owns the house), my mother was born (Navy Hospital long gone), and various other bits of family history. Portuguese food for dinner.
Also the former Hughes and TWA buildings being restored and reutilized, and the canals of Venice.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 8 was a trip to see the house I grew up in in Santa Barbara, the place I was born in Jolon (now consumed by Hunter-Liggett) and the Mission I was baptized in. I hadn't been to the mission in 30 years.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 9 was a trip to see friends in Ramona, my mother's new apartment in Escondido, and Joshua Tree National Park, again. Where it poured, again.

[URL=http://s211.photobucket.com/user/toiyabe66/media/Winter%20Trip%202015/Day%209/IMG_6145.jpg.html]

ScreenShot2015-02-09at12659PM.png
[/URL]

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 11 was a drive from LA to Winnemucca, Nevada. I went by way of Bishop, California, had lunch at Jack's, and then skimmed up through Hawthorne and Walker Lake. The strong gold prices and GWOT have been good to small town Nevada. No drive by the Toiyabe Motel this time, though...

It was very, very windy.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 12 was from Winnemucca to Richland, Washington, to see cycletool, and my old vehicles...
Winnemucca is a town where being Basque is nice, as is Burns, Oregon.
Steens Mountain is still unbelievably great, although most of it is closed this time of the year.
John Day is coming up in the world.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 13 was from Richland to Whitefish to see elcope.
After a great dinner of Venison burgers, I had a dinner of Elk stew.
Greasy drive, rain and sleet the whole way. Beautiful atmospheric day, though.

My old truck!

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 14 was where I discovered that elcope and I were apparently separated at birth. He got the looks and work ethic; I got the sugar momma.
Basically he showed me some of the important bits of Whitefish, including a town that still is not electrified. And a bar. And he fed me stuff. And we looked at guns and fishing stuff.
Oh, the good life.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 15 was starting the arc to home. Whitefish to Rapid City, South Dakota. It has gotten colder, and the roads were iffy, especially on the chunk through Custer National Forest and Pine Ridge.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Day 16 and 17 were just home. Rapid City to LaPorte Indiana, to Maryland.

Cold, as in some of the coldest temps on the trip, and very, very windy. Despite the fact that it snowed more than 24 hour before I traveled through, I counted over 250 accidents from Iowa to Pennsylvania. Some occurring while I watched. The roads were perfectly dry.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My wife is from Japan. Her name is Keiko. She told me if I even thought about it she'd introduce me to new levels of ancient Japanese secrets of pain.

I decided not to push it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven