Ker frickin boom !!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
so, is there anything other than not bringing propane on a trip, that would mitigate this type of accident?

I usually bring the smaller green bottles on trips, since our classic coleman stove was made when their quality was high and SIPS the propane.

I can often get a weeks worth of meals out of one green canister when used with that stove.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
If you can store the propane cylinders in the open, say in a truck bed is best. Never have them hooked up while not in use is good sense (less chance of a leak).

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If you can store the propane cylinders in the open, say in a truck bed is best. Never have them hooked up while not in use is good sense (less chance of a leak).

ah, i see.

For example, a 20lb'er on the front tongue of a trailer?

(so that if it does leak, the gas doesn't accumulate, and then ignite if there's a spark?)

maXTERRA

Adventurer
Propane is heavier than air and will accumulate in an enclosed area, so outside mounted as described is the best.

Also, as in most compressed gas cylinders, when opening the tank valve for use, be sure to open it fully so the valve hits the hard safety seat so you're not just relying on the integrity of the stem seat to hold the tank pressure within.
Fully close the valve when not in use.

kjp1969

Explorer
Propane is heavier than air and will accumulate in an enclosed area, so outside mounted as described is the best.

Also, as in most compressed gas cylinders, when opening the tank valve for use, be sure to open it fully so the valve hits the hard safety seat so you're not just relying on the integrity of the stem seat to hold the tank pressure within.
Fully close the valve when not in use.

What he said. Also, use only in-date cylinders in good condition, with proper pressure relief. Mount outside or ventilate well, and from the bottom so leaking propane can't pool.

Another kind of failure is called a BLEVE (Boiled Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion) It's more of a bursting, like when you threw that aerosol can in the campfire to see what would happen. It's also the reason that propane cylinders are designed to be filled no more than 80% full, to allow for expansion. Of course, once a propane tank BLEVEs, the propane is a cloud of flammable goodness, just looking for a source of ignition, when it will instantly turn into a fireball of hellish proportions. Have a nice day! :wavey:

gabepari

Explorer
Your BLEVE sounds to me like ...

Anytime I see acronyms it reminds me of R.O.U.S.'s (Here's a hint: "Have fun stormin' da castle") :victory:

Had a friend who's car and garage were completely destroyed by a NOS tank. I guess sometimes the safety measures (relief valves, etc...) don't work the way they were intended. It's not the one that was plastered all over the inter-web a few years ago, but very similar.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Hehe, I was thinking the real trajedy is the way those people live on top of each other.:Wow1:

Nah. You should see some of the neighborhoods up here. I don't know why people bother with a "house" when they are so close. Sometimes they have to offset the eavestrough height so that they don't touch.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Something the approximate size and shape of a human body was blown through the bushes and hit the side of that silver car to the left. Chilling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk