Land Cruiser Prado 90 series SWB 2.8L - Should I go for it?

overl4nder

Observer
Hello
I reside in India, and have been on the lookout for a "reliable" offroader.
My current vehicle, the Tata Safari 4x4 is not aging very gracefully. Well Tata's never age gracefully, and after 100,000kms on the odo, it becomes a pain to maintain. If it was just additional financial burden, it would still be okay, but the fact is even brand new Tata parts are poor quality, and often fail quickly.
So then, one option is to buy a brand new Toyota Fortuner. Which is frightfully expensive at 2.8 million INR. Totally out of budget.

The other option is to look for old landcruisers.

So to cut the long story short. about 1.5 years back, a friend, who was into hard core offroading decided to buy one. The car had done 90,000+ kms, and was on okay shape. He went ahead and brought it to good shape, with all belts changed, steering(power) oil seals done, all bushes as well as suspension bushes changed... The list goes on.

However, he is more of an offroader and not much of an expedition guy, so he is thinking of selling it.
He tells me I can face two problems
1. The vehicle has done 98000kms, and sometimes smokes. Workshop says fuel pump recalibration may need to be done (costs 400 USD in India approx)
2. Between 2000-3000rpm there is lot of "boom" from the engine. Engine is okay sounding upto 2000 and above 3000
2000-3000 is problematic.

If he presses clutch while revving to 2500rpm, the boom almost goes away. Clutch has been changed. So it could be some damper somewhere? He has no idea.
Apart from that he has changed suspension, wheel bearings and stuff.

Now I am turning to this forum for help.
I need some answers

1. I do high altitude driving (15000 feet and sometimes 18000 feet). Temperatures often fall to -6 to -7 degree C. Does this engine have glow plugs. Any problems with high altitude use. Its 2.8 NA diesel engine. So I know there will be power loss due to no turbo charger. That I am aware off
  2. How long do these engines last. Is 250,000kms without overhaul realistic expectation. I am worried because this engine is 3000rpm at 100kmph. This means it must have spent lot of its life at higher rpm
  3. What could be the cause of resonance boom between 2000-3000rpm. Can it be a big expense later?
  4. Any other things I need to be careful about?

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation in helping me out.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The 3L seems to be a bit more robust than the 2L-T, but given that this one has concerns, NO WAY!
Normally 250k shouldn't be a problem though. Honestly, on a budget in India, I'd probably lok for a Gen2 Pajero or some license build there-of.

lugueto

Adventurer
I have one, excelent vehicle. Can't speak for the Diesel, as we never had diesels, but if its Toyota and has been properly maintained it should last well over 250000km. Toyotas usually go down the highway at high rpm, my rzj90 does around 2750rpm @100km/h. I've seen gas 90 series go above 300000km without an overhaul, diesels should last longer. If the condition is shaky, its best to go away and look for one thats in better condition, but the truck itself is very reliable, very capable and fun to drive..

overl4nder

Observer
thanks for your help.
Actually this vehicle does not have problems per se.
As I know the guy well, he just told me potential issues which may come.
1. Fuel pump recalibration may need to be done
2. The resonance at 2000-3000kms

The price is very good, that is why I was interested.
Normally, at this price, you get a beat up vehicle, then you spend 100,000-150,000 INR and spend six months replacing all wear and tear stuff, and then the vehicle is done. However, in this vehicle's case all that is already done.

Its Prepared.
However, I am worried
1. Does it have glow plugs?
2. High altitude- Any potential issues?
3. Does this engine have known problems.

At 96000kms done, its better than other samples which have done 150,000kms+

Since this is a rare beast, information about this is hard to come buy. so I have turned to fellow expedition guys.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
thanks for your help.
Actually this vehicle does not have problems per se.
As I know the guy well, he just told me potential issues which may come.
1. Fuel pump recalibration may need to be done
2. The resonance at 2000-3000kms

The price is very good, that is why I was interested.
Normally, at this price, you get a beat up vehicle, then you spend 100,000-150,000 INR and spend six months replacing all wear and tear stuff, and then the vehicle is done. However, in this vehicle's case all that is already done.

Its Prepared.
However, I am worried
1. Does it have glow plugs?
2. High altitude- Any potential issues?
3. Does this engine have known problems.

At 96000kms done, its better than other samples which have done 150,000kms+

Since this is a rare beast, information about this is hard to come buy. so I have turned to fellow expedition guys.

I would pass and go for a REAL Cruiser if they can be found in decent condition at a fair price in India. That or search out a Nissan Patrol.

The Prado is a "light duty" Cruiser. Most of it's components are shared with the Hilux platform not the actual Cruiser platform. As such, if you get heavy with an expedition build it can take it's toll on the truck.

I have heard lot's of negative stuff about the diesel put in Prados. I am no expert on a Prado though so really all I am regurgitating is what I have read. A buddy of mine had one in Panama and it was just about dead at 300k. It got used on the beach a lot though so that explains a lot of the issues.

If you feel it is a good truck, parts are readily available and the market doesn't offer a lot where you are at plus the price seem ok (even to me being half way around the world) than go for it. Just know what you are buying and what may be issues with the truck as in known issues with the platform as well as any issues with the truck it's self. Good maintenance can mean it is a solid truck and and a poorly maintained truck that requires base lining can cost a lot as well as hog up a lot of time.

Cheers

overl4nder

Observer
Thanks for the honest answer RMP&O
I am not looking for a hard core expedition build. Just a 4WD which can take some abuse on trails. Something which can run on and on long term. Toyota launched a 2WD vehicle called qualis in India few years back, and that has engine derived from this one. Is built like a tank with no issues.
I asked about lift kit because its free with vehicle. If 2" lift will adversly affect, then I will pass.

Second option is to look for a 1998 4.2L turbo diesel 4 door LC(not prado).
But at such low mileage, it hard to find one!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Since you know the seller well, perhaps he will work with you. You could suggest that you take it to a good mechanic to have the work estimated/done. Agree to pay for it. If it fixes the problem, great, if not, you're doing better than having bought the entire vehicle and neding more/expensive work.

lugueto

Adventurer
While the Prado is a light duty cruiser, it is no less reliable, capable or tough. The Prado doesn't share components with the Hilux, the 4runner does. And actually its the other way around, as the 4runner is the softer version of the Prado, which many of you in the states use succesfully as an expedition rig or dedicated wheeler. It is wise to keep them light, unless you have the long wheelbase with the 3.4...

Upland80

Adventurer
Toyota diesels are notoriously stout in any configuration. If this truck is priced well considering your options and location, I say go for it. I really don't understand what you mean by "engine boom" and that is about the only negative I can see. You will not have an issue other than typical loss of power at high elevation, but that's the same with petrol or diesel and in any maker of vehicle. Your best course of action regarding specific technical opinions is to ask them on the ih8mud forum.

overl4nder

Observer
Thanks for your replies.
I did some independent research too, and it seems this is not for me at this price.
At the price I am getting, I can get a 1997-1998 LC 80 series, which is indeed a better vehicle with turbo charger.
At a much lower price it would have made sense.

Thanks for all your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad