Land Cruiser Questions

Klierslc

Explorer
20 mpg is possible on a long flat highway with no wind driving 55.

Why do you need a land cruiser? As stated above, on a college budget, I would look for the cheapest reliable thing out there that will do what you want. Taco or 4runner fits the bill well. I would advise against the 100 series for budget reasons. If you can really clear 5k with Jeep, the you could potentially be car payment free with a Taco, 4runner or 80 series. That would be my focus...

Dave 2000

Have you considered a diesel? They are not the tortoise oil burners that people relate to when they hear the word diesel, top speed in excess of 110mph and it does not hang around getting there either, and the best bit................30 plus MPG!!!!!:wings:

regards

Dave

Expedition Leader
The original poster is located in the U.S. of A., where Toyota has never imported any diesel Land Cruisers. :(

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
If you would like to see a built 100, drive one and feel how they handle and make a mid afternoon mud run I would be happy. I can also look at them with you if needed.

shoot me a message, I'm in Sandy Springs/Milledgeville. In school as well.

Nick

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
On a college budget, like others have already recommended, a '93 or later 80-series.

I am in college with a built 100, the only, I mean only gripe is gas. If it is maintained and kept well it will last (just like all series). It's more expensive to mod, buy, and drive. But I have driven 60's and 80's and the 100 is very nice. Depends on your needs in the end really. The 100 works for me perfectly, just a little thirsty (80 ain't much better with the V6, I'll take the same mpg's with the 100).

Not trying to start ********, just voicing my opinion. Now off to bed :smiley_drive:

one of my favorite shots

IMG_4325.jpg

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Prepare for rear main seal oil leaks, pan arch seal oil leaks, possible head gasket failure....on the 80's.

None of this has been an issue on the 100's.

Then consider better A/C, brakes, no overheating issues...the 100 is the real winner here.

You mention towing...the 80's a dead dog already and with oversized tires the brakes are very subpar. 100 is a clear winner in the power category and little chnages with larger tires braking-wise.

Last edited:

Klierslc

Explorer
Prepare for rear main seal oil leaks, pan arch seal oil leaks, possible head gasket failure....on the 80's.

None of this has been an issue on the 100's.

Then consider better A/C, brakes, no overheating issues...the 100 is the real winner here.

You mention towing...the 80's a dead dog already and with oversized tires the brakes are very subpar. 100 is a clear winner in the power category and little chnages with larger tires braking-wise.

Preface all of that with: "In my extremely biased and narrow minded view"

Please John, we all know how much you love your Hundy, but give it a rest. I am supposing that NONE of the hundys have any leaks or have ever overheated? cracking exhaust manifolds? CV joint failure? Oh, not to mention that you have to pull the entire intake to get to the starter and change the timing BELT every 90k.....

From the factory, in stock form, the 80 series braking distances were almost identical to the 100 series. The condition of your brake system is obviously important.

The 100 is a great rig, I would love to have one, but the sequoia fit the family better. That being said, a 200 series is even better, but the OP is on a budget.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I am supposing that NONE of the hundys have any leaks or have ever overheated? cracking exhaust manifolds? CV joint failure? Oh, not to mention that you have to pull the entire intake to get to the starter and change the timing BELT every 90k.....

Never had any leaks from mine, never had a CV fail, I wheel mine very very hard (front diff would go before a CV in most occasions) Never changed the starter, never gave me a problem (probably will now that I post this), and timing belt, did mine at 73K. Overall I thing the 100 could drive longer than a 80 (same fuel quality and oil weight) just due to the 80's engine issues (which is not many and few and far between). Overall either one the OP goes with he will be happy. I too am tired of the 100 defeats the 80 in every category posts. I've seen 80's walk 100's on the trails. But I have also seen 100's walk 80's in certain areas as well.

CSG

Explorer
I've only owned one, my '02 LX but I looked at 80's when I was shopping and thought I wanted to go that route for some of the features like straight axles and locking differentials but as soon as I checked out the 100's that was the route I decided fit me best -80-90% daily driver for Idaho weather. I don't have any interest in *running* trails; I just wanted a comfortable, capable, outback cruiser. It's handled all the conditions I've been in without drama. But then I don't push it like some of our members here do.

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Starting to sound like a 80 vs 100 civil war... Folks drive one type of LC wether a 40, 55, 60, 80, 100 or whatever for one reason... They are the best out there, their unique and its the most common vehicle you'll see in National Geographic, global documentaries and what terror militias use to cause friggin havoc. I had Jeeps, other LC's, Suzuki Samurai's, Toyota pick/ups, Isuzu Trooper.... hands down Toyota makes a much better product and lives up to the reputation. Yes, your going to get issues with each model, but when it comes down too it, what can you afford, study and research the nuances of each model, if you feel like you don't have the skills to work on the issues either look at something else or try and step up to the challenge.... a lot of us on here and on other offroad forums have done this and you come to realize its sometimes not that hard.

My last 2 trucks were Jeep Cherokee XJ's, modded, etc... good trucks offroad, but LC/Toyota quality just can't be beat. Other than Land Cruisers, if your on a budget, they make excellent 4x4 trucks too.. Tacoma, and even the 1st Gen Tundra... But research and study.

My $0.02

Edit: I forgot to mention, I currently have a 97 FZJ80 wit 225k... and I'm lucky to say I've gotten away with wheelin it and driving the last 30k miles and it hasn't had the HG replaced yet (knockin on wood).. but my next truck after this will probably be 100 series. My son has a FJ62 with 250k and I don't really think you can kill the 3FE.. Good luck!

Last edited:

Klierslc

Explorer
Never had any leaks from mine, never had a CV fail, I wheel mine very very hard (front diff would go before a CV in most occasions) Never changed the starter, never gave me a problem (probably will now that I post this), and timing belt, did mine at 73K. Overall I thing the 100 could drive longer than a 80 (same fuel quality and oil weight) just due to the 80's engine issues (which is not many and few and far between). Overall either one the OP goes with he will be happy. I too am tired of the 100 defeats the 80 in every category posts. I've seen 80's walk 100's on the trails. But I have also seen 100's walk 80's in certain areas as well.

I agree that the OP can't go wrong with either one. I will probably replace my 80 with a 100 in 10 years or so just for the extra shoulder belt. FWIW, I have had 3 80 series LC's all with over 170k, all with the original HG. I have not had any leaks, any overheating issues, or any axle issues and I wheel moderately. (blues and low blacks) I have had to spend the 8 dollars to replace the starter contacts.... The last time I went wheeling, an 07 LX broke his front diff on an obstacle I walked right up and a 2000 LX broke a CV joint..... The time before that, an 80 series had a power steering line rust through....

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I agree that the OP can't go wrong with either one. I will probably replace my 80 with a 100 in 10 years or so just for the extra shoulder belt. FWIW, I have had 3 80 series LC's all with over 170k, all with the original HG. I have not had any leaks, any overheating issues, or any axle issues and I wheel moderately. (blues and low blacks) I have had to spend the 8 dollars to replace the starter contacts.... The last time I went wheeling, an 07 LX broke his front diff on an obstacle I walked right up and a 2000 LX broke a CV joint..... The time before that, an 80 series had a power steering line rust through....

must of been Simo (not sure how to spell the name exactly) and Blair... both mud guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach