LAND ROVER 6X4 140 (ex 101) 2.5L TDI left hand drive motorhome

greenmeanie

Adventurer
hehe - I just likes em for all their character. As a 101 GS owner I've never really found them to be underpowered. Hp is not what limits their speed. It's usually the steering, the bar grip tyres and most notorious of all - the prop shaft rumble. Oh and the ability to actually see your fuel gauge moving. I've had mine up to 85mph although I'd never do it again. Now when you turn it into that 6X4 ...

I suspect it's much the same deal with an M-type. Army trucks were just not designed to go that fast and as such the handling etc reflects it. I bet you could do a lot for one by changing tyres etc. Still, it is never going to drive like a modern vehicle although that is part of the charm to me.

I guess the point I was thinking of is that if you have to chop a 101 to make a 6X4 you obviously need a bigger truck. That thing took a lot of effort to modify and I bet it was not cheap and I bet there's a load of comprimises in it. A mog is a bigger truck too and while I can't argue with its abilites I just think there are so many super cheap platforms out there and the M-type is a classic.

I'm jealous of your trip now. Any piccies to post for an ex military vehicle geek?

Cheers
Gregor

EricWS

Observer
greenmeanie said:
I agree that if money was not an object then the mog would be a better starting point but how much can you pick up a newer mog for? I bet it's quite a bit more than the 1500 gbp I can get a 101 ambi plus whatever that chassis/body extension conversion for.

Having said that, if you wanted the extra space of that thing there are so many ex military machines out there that can be had for next to nothing. I've always had a thing for M type Bedford 4 tonners, then theres a lot of potential in th eastern block trucks, especially the radio trucks with the insulated bodies.

If they kept the stock gearing in that truck it should push along OK. Not quickly but OK.

Cheers
Gregor

Yeah, Mogs are really expensive last time I checked. But it would make a great platform though...

michaelgroves

Explorer
greenmeanie said:
As a 101 GS owner I've never really found them to be underpowered. Hp is not what limits their speed. It's usually the steering, the bar grip tyres and most notorious of all - the prop shaft rumble.
I meant as underpowered as the 101 for sale - the 140" version with the 2.5TDi! That thing has to have an all-up wieght of 4-5 tons.

greenmeanie said:
Now when you turn it into that 6X4 ...

Well, that was the point of my other post - the 6x4 is going to have pretty awful off-road performance compared to something with 4x4. I appreciate that the 6-wheel configuration is needed to accomdate the extra weight and length, but that's the main reason why I personally would prefer to start with a bigger 4x4, or drive all three axles. Pretty much what you were saying.

greenmeanie said:
I suspect it's much the same deal with an M-type. Army trucks were just not designed to go that fast and as such the handling etc reflects it. I bet you could do a lot for one by changing tyres etc. Still, it is never going to drive like a modern vehicle although that is part of the charm to me.

Yes, my Bedford had the naturally aspirated 360 (I can't remember exactly) cubic inch diesel, producing less than 75kW - for a vehicle weighing close to 10 tons all-up! That's underpowered! But as you say, it gets the job done, and it's simple and durable.

greenmeanie said:
I'm jealous of your trip now. Any piccies to post for an ex military vehicle geek?

I'll try and dredge some up :) Pics from my wife and my RTW trip in a 6x6 Defender on http://www.expeditionoverland.com

Rgds,

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal